Montreal Postmatch

Alot of people here have been clamoring to play Pirlo in one of the forward CM spots, and we saw why that was a dumb idea. Pirlo has to play as a deep lying playermaker. If you want defensive help we have to play with a double pivot whether its a 4231 or a 433 with two holding midfielders or the 3223 or even a 4222.

Ronald and Tommy combined very well with together on the left side. Same thing with Khiry and RJ. Khiry has really impressed me with his improved crossing service the last couple of games. I feel that right side would have been even better with Mix. Lopez's distribution leaves alot to be desired.

I thought Mendoza is much better in the role off the bench. Hopefully RJ is not too hurt.
I actually liked what Pirlo brought to the game higher up. Since Montreal couldn't key on Pirlo to bring every play forward, they couldn't double-team anybody with success, so we nearly always got the ball to midfield without a problem. Once there, Pirlo was given the ball and he made some very nice passes to start the attacking sequences, and he made others that (have already been mentioned) were snuffed out by the defense because we just don't have the height to bring lobs down - but that's not necessarily the fault of Pirlo, because they were great lobs that if connected would have sprung a direct drive on net by the forward.

Many games I have questioned PV's subs, but I find it hard to do so again. I wanted Mix on for Mikey at the half, but think Mendoza on for Khiry was the right move. Then as you pointed out, the RJ injury forced his hand there. Which lead to him waiting much longer to use the third.

While we are on the subject of subs, I was unimpressed by the "We want Poku" chant *after* we had used up all three.

Drogue is a god. remember how he was telling the Montreal players to get closer to the near post. thats what comes with being a professional. scoring on set pieces is the best way to get a easily mistaken goal. Drogba saw that no one was on the near post for NYCFC, pulled his players closer to the near post and whipped it in there with all of nycfc players caught looking. not saying nycfc played a bad game, but come on! you play till the whistle is blown. this is about the 3rd game at home which nyc should see three points. Orlando was the other and i think the revolution game nycfc should of had the three points as well. Soccer is about capitalizing on your opponents mistakes, clearly we make some crucial ones.

It was a Wednesday night, man. Bleachers were pretty full considering but there is a certain amount of reserve when you have to go to work in the morning. That's my guess anyway. As for the drums, they weren't picked up or requested barring a corny chant in the middle of the game.

I meant more lack of energy, not lack of people, and full disclosure: I am not exempting myself from that observation. Also it wasn't for your want of trying, I saw you with the plastic megaphone

While we are on the subject of subs, I was unimpressed by the "We want Poku" chant *after* we had used up all three.
At least he was in the 18 this time.

I meant more lack of energy

This.

Even the self described "die-hards" need to know that it takes more than an exuberant opening 5 minutes. This happens all the time. The start is all extra fired up and then the rest kinda depends on what the game looks like. If it's a poor showing like Philly on Saturday... Dead Zone. Capos and drummers should always be the inspiration, not waiting to be inspired.

Watch the replay of the goal. Saunders is nearly on the front post, and first backtracks and then goes back forward - he's late to the post because of the change in momentum/hesitation. GK 101 is that it's easier and faster to go forward than back, so one should always be in a deeper starting position thus allowing the only movement needed is to go forward. It's also his responsibility to call out for a teammate to cover the front post so that he can start farther back. - in effect, he had two gaffes on that play.

Every montreal player should be marked with a NYCFC player goal side of them rather than just being left to have a free header. They could have put the header anywhere so moving completely to the front post would leave the rest of the goal wide open. Hes just adjusting his position as the ball comes in but if they are gonna head it into the corner than theres not alot he can do.
Sorry but 95% of the blame must be on the defenders not being anywhere near not just 1 but 2 Montreal players. You never should just leave 2 players that wide open in front of goal and not expect them to score. Saunders can't cover the whole goal and as it is the attacker knows where he is and will just head it where he isnt.
If he runs right to the near post as the ball is coming in they will just head it far post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul and Gene
You are partially right. Saunders was in fact 100% to blame. As a former GK you are taught that a cross, especially a low cross that close to the net, on the near/front post, 2 feet in front of you, you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE IT, or at the very least get your fists on it and push it to the side. Yes Ethan White is an idiot for not marking, but even still the GK is supposed to be there to bail out his defense especially on a night where he face TWO SHOTS. TWO SHOTS!!!!! You can tell both reactions from White and Saunders says it all. Ethan couldn't believe that ball went in, and Saunders had his hands on his head, thinking WTF did I do. 100% on Saunders.
100% saunders fault your having a laugh mate. by your logic we dont need defenders at corners as the goalie is expected to cover the whole goal

Reactions: Paul and Gene
100% saunders fault your having a laugh mate. by your logic we dont need defenders at corners as the goalie is expected to cover the whole goal

Wow do I really have to respond to this? Is this the type of knowledge some of you folks have about some of these plays and the sport in general? SMH....you are actually comparing the play last night to a corner, really? Get a clue homie.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

Look at this video http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...ity-fc-vs-montreal-impact/details/video/63484.

Does this look like a corner to you? If covering the front post with a position player was of utmost important, just like it is for a corner, then guess whose job it is to put someone on the post? Its the GKs, so you are not really making a case for Saunders. No, there was no need to have someone on the front post because there was no way a right footed cross was going to be dangerous at the front post unless the GK completely shits the bed which is exactly what happened. Look at Saunders initial reactions, he plays it like a fucking corner, no wonder they scored on that play. You have got to be kidding me!!!!! You want to talk about logic etc GTFO and come back to me when you have some worthwhile opinions. Anyone excusing Saunders for that goal is a fucking idiot.

Wow do I really have to respond to this? Is this the type of knowledge some of you folks have about some of these plays and the sport in general? SMH....you are actually comparing the play last night to a corner, really? Get a clue homie.
Sorry i miss typed, meant to put free kick. Though from the angle it was not much difference to a corner, cross put into the box from a wide position. Your questioning my knowledge yet you seem to think that defenders are not necessary in these situations.

Sorry i miss typed, meant to put free kick. Though from the angle it was not much difference to a corner, cross put into the box from a wide position. Your questioning my knowledge yet you seem to think that defenders are not necessary in these situations.
Don't put words in my mouth. I have never said defenders are not necessary. I said Ethan White made a mistake but it was a mistake that the GK should have covered for from that angle, and from that ball trajectory (height/angle/speed). Fucking Saunders had to do NOTHING the whole game, when it is time to make one stinking play, he doesn't make it, and we want to give him a pass. GTFO.

Look at this video http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...ity-fc-vs-montreal-impact/details/video/63484.

Does this look like a corner to you? If covering the front post with a position player was of utmost important, just like it is for a corner, then guess whose job it is to put someone on the post? Its the GKs, so you are not really making a case for Saunders. No, there was no need to have someone on the front post because there was no way a right footed cross was going to be dangerous at the front post unless the GK completely shits the bed which is exactly what happened. Look at Saunders initial reactions, he plays it like a fucking corner, no wonder they scored on that play. You have got to be kidding me!!!!! You want to talk about logic etc GTFO and come back to me when you have some worthwhile opinions. Anyone excusing Saunders for that goal is a fucking idiot.
As i just said it basically is a corner but the point is that with any set piece there is a marking system either zonal or man marking so every opposition player should have a player competing for the ball with them and hopefully goal side. As it is everyone was just caught ball watching and a player can head the ball in completely unmarked

As i just said it basically is a corner but the point is that with any set piece there is a marking system either zonal or man marking so every opposition player should have a player competing for the ball with them and hopefully goal side. As it is everyone was just caught ball watching and a player can head the ball in completely unmarked

Again the point of that play was this. At that angle, at that cross, the GK should have gotten the ball not even letting Oduro have a chance to head it, irrespective of Ethan White stupid marking.

Don't put words in my mouth. I have never said defenders are not necessary. I said Ethan White made a mistake but it was a mistake that the GK should have covered for from that angle, and from that ball trajectory (height/angle/speed). Fucking Saunders had to do NOTHING the whole game, when it is time to make one stinking play, he doesn't make it, and we want to give him a pass. GTFO.
You said it was 100% on Saunders and now your saying other players made mistakes so can you make your mind up please... Look i want Lurch to start as much as everyone else and the rest of the game was irrelevant really as in this instance i don't see why Saunders should be getting the majority of the blame.

You said it was 100% on Saunders and now your saying other players made mistakes so can you make your mind up please... Look i want Lurch to start as much as everyone else and the rest of the game was irrelevant really as in this instance i don't see why Saunders should be getting the majority of the blame.

Again that goal was 100% on Saunders without question he should have had it, and had it easy!!!!! But again we can't baby Saunders, the defense needs to play perfect now is that what you are saying? He faced two shots the whole game, TWO!!!!!! The defense had one breakdown and that was it, and Saunders should have been able to cover that EASY. Yet he sucks and didn't. Nothing new there.