NYCFC 2016 SALARY CAP ANALYSIS

What if it's Martin DeMechellis

That was the first name that I feared as soon as I heard the news. If that's the way they go we will have evidence that the front office has learned nothing about what works in this league.

Reactions: Kjbert
I would use the new cap space to get a top CB or maybe a goalkeeper. We are good with attacking players.

I don't think we would use all $500K of Poku GAM in one season, because where do we get the GAM to pay this guy in the following years of his contract?

Overall a good analysis. Really helps to think about these things.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
So, I was on the Mix thread and looked at Columbus' & Portland's rosters to see if Mix could actually fit there cap wise. Thought I should share those here too.

COLUMBUS:
Screenshot 2016-07-07 09.46.34.png

PORTLAND:
Screenshot 2016-07-06 21.22.57.png

Also, looking up how to count these guys on the spreadsheets, I noticed that Homegrown Players DO count vs the cap (if on the senior roster), but MLS gives $150,000 per season to offset those costs. Here's a list of all the HG players in the league. Interesting Ethan White is one of them. So, we can actually re-sign him for up to $150,000 and have no cap hit from his contract. Assuming we don't have any more additional homegrown players on our roster next season. I'm going to start to factor this in when looking at team payrolls.

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/mls-homegrown-player-signings

Also, looking up how to count these guys on the spreadsheets, I noticed that Homegrown Players DO count vs the cap (if on the senior roster), but MLS gives $150,000 per season to offset those costs. Here's a list of all the HG players in the league. Interesting Ethan White is one of them. So, we can actually re-sign him for up to $150,000 and have no cap hit from his contract. Assuming we don't have any more additional homegrown players on our roster next season. I'm going to start to factor this in when looking at team payrolls.

How can White possibly be homegrown for us? He was with DC but it makes no sense for it to transfer.

He left the nest so he isn't HG for us. They're just keeping track of how many HG are actually in the league to validate the academies.

Someone posted about harrisons contract on reddit and it looks like with all the playing time he is getting, he will graduated from GA and likely count against the cap next year for us.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Someone posted about harrisons contract on reddit and it looks like with all the playing time he is getting, he will graduated from GA and likely count against the cap next year for us.

Damn it! Did they say what the number of minutes played negates a GA status?

Wait that's absolutely absurd... seems like they'd want the player to get minutes and not be restricted/held back. That should be rewarding, not a bad thing.
The purpose of it is to mitigate the risk of drafting a young player who many not be ready for MLS. Harrison is ready for MLS!

Reactions: adam
Nice read.

The interesting part deals with when the player graduates to the full roster:

If he turns into a regular starter by the end of his first year, more than likely he’s going to graduate. In some cases he may not, but once you’re established in your team, then you’re more than likely going to graduate.

Jack has obviously cemented his spot in the lineup, but I wonder if the team gets an exemption considering he's only going to play for half of the season? That would be the easiest way to throw the team a bone regarding cap relief without it appearing as rampant favoritism (like LA gets). And if NYCFC qualifies for the CCL, then the added cap relief coupled with the additional GAM will make us that much more competitive in the tournament - a win/win situation for the league.

And then again, MLS could screw us over and bump him up to the full roster.....

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Nice read.

The interesting part deals with when the player graduates to the full roster:

Jack has obviously cemented his spot in the lineup, but I wonder if the team gets an exemption considering he's only going to play for half of the season? That would be the easiest way to throw the team a bone regarding cap relief without it appearing as rampant favoritism (like LA gets). And if NYCFC qualifies for the CCL, then the added cap relief coupled with the additional GAM will make us that much more competitive in the tournament - a win/win situation for the league.

And then again, MLS could screw us over and bump him up to the full roster.....

Just remember, if we qualify for CCL this season, we don't play in CCL for 1.5 seasons! I'm sure you get it, but folks reading this who don't: the CCL follows the European schedule, starting in August and ending before the Summer. The teams that will participate this fall earned their CCL berths in the 2015 season. The ones who participated this year and all lost a few months ago, earned their births in 2014. If we were to win a berth in 2016, we would not participate till Fall of 2017. After the 2017 Summer transfer window. Also, we'd only have players like Pirlo for the first half (group stage) and could have almost a completely different team by Spring of 2018 when our 4th season starts and the contracts of many of our current players have expired or been transferred.

Just remember, if we qualify for CCL this season, we don't play in CCL for 1.5 seasons! I'm sure you get it, but folks reading this who don't: the CCL follows the European schedule, starting in August and ending before the Summer. The teams that will participate this fall earned their CCL berths in the 2015 season. The ones who participated this year and all lost a few months ago, earned their births in 2014. If we were to win a berth in 2016, we would not participate till Fall of 2017. After the 2017 Summer transfer window. Also, we'd only have players like Pirlo for the first half (group stage) and could have almost a completely different team by Spring of 2018 when our 4th season starts and the contracts of many of our current players have expired or been transferred.

You exaggerated a little bit - the delay is only 0.5 seasons, or six months, from qualification to first CCL game.

General message is sound though. It's really hard for an MLS to plan out their CCL roster strategy when the tournament spans two seasons and has a delay at the beginning.

The good news is that there have been rumors that CONCACAF wants to redo the CCL format again, going back to groups of four and shifting the tournament to take place in one calendar year. It would allow for more Liga MX and MLS matchups, with a team from each in each group, plus allow MLS teams to be more competitive by fitting in to our calendar. And more competitive American teams equals better TV ratings equals more money for everybody.

The bad news is that these rumors are almost a year old now, I think. Hopefully we get some more smoke soon, and the 2017-18 tournament is shifted to the 2018 calender year. (With maybe a mini-CCL knockout bracket in fall of 2017 to fill the gap?)

I found two articles, both slightly old, that agree that it takes about 1500-1600 minutes in a season (or 1000 each in consecutive seasons) for a typical player to graduate. Keepers remain GA longer, until they play 2o00 minutes in one season.
http://usasoccer.blogspot.com/2009/09/graduating-from-generation-adidas.html
http://www.brotherlygame.com/2011/9...who-is-set-to-graduate-from-generation-adidas

Jack has 635 minutes to date with another potential 1170 minutes to go. As noted it is his choice. Barring a further injury, it looks like he'll be in a position where he could legitimately choose either way.

What I cannot figure out is what is the incentive for a player to graduate. I do not see any benefit for him. But most seem to do it when they have the minutes.

Last edited: