NYCFC In The Media Thread - 2016

I think we would all say that a tactically strong side should be able to beat a team that relies almost solely on physical skills. That's how our national team loses against better teams, we are physical, they play tactical soccer. I think MLS is stuck in a physical style (that is limiting it's potential growth) because MLS is very good at the physical style. That is what kreis was doing, trying to make us a good, physical mls team.
Nycfc, I think, is set on revolutionizing MLS, or if not revolutionizing, just bringing it into line with world soccer. It is not easy to play that way, but the fact that we are fourth in ppg and have some big results under our belt is proof of concept. We are better now than Orlando, despite starting the same time.

I think that is why poku doesn't play, he's a prototypical MLS player. Big on physical skills, short on tactical ideas. That we are moving at from that is exciting and I think if we pull it off, we'll be Tiger woods for a while until MLS catches up. And that will be good for MLS, USMNT and fans.
All true, but I'd like to see a tactical side with a nasty edge to it. I'm fearful we're heading towards a stateside version of Arsenal - intricate passing & attack but completely void of bite - the Gunners always come up short when playing the teams that can literally knock them off their game and punch them on the winged counterattack.

If only Bravo and Poku could be combined...

I think we would all say that a tactically strong side should be able to beat a team that relies almost solely on physical skills. That's how our national team loses against better teams, we are physical, they play tactical soccer. I think MLS is stuck in a physical style (that is limiting it's potential growth) because MLS is very good at the physical style. That is what kreis was doing, trying to make us a good, physical mls team.
Nycfc, I think, is set on revolutionizing MLS, or if not revolutionizing, just bringing it into line with world soccer. It is not easy to play that way, but the fact that we are fourth in ppg and have some big results under our belt is proof of concept. We are better now than Orlando, despite starting the same time.

I think that is why poku doesn't play, he's a prototypical MLS player. Big on physical skills, short on tactical ideas. That we are moving at from that is exciting and I think if we pull it off, we'll be Tiger woods for a while until MLS catches up. And that will be good for MLS, USMNT and fans.
This is an intriguing thought and I hope it starts paying off somewhat soon. If this is really the team's approach I can see it taking a bit longer. But you are also right that if it does work we could dominate for a few years.
On a sub-point, I'm not sold on the idea that we're "better now than Orlando, despite starting the same time. " This season we're 2 points ahead and played an extra game. That's statistically meaningless I think. We are ahead in the standing, and in PPG, by a tiny amount, and that's not nothing. But I can't jump from that to being objectively and meaningfully better, right now. Hopefully it's true at the end of the season by at least as many points as they exceeded us in 2015.

I think it's more like asking, "Can Rice Krispies be taught to stay crispy in milk?" Possibilities are:
  1. No. No matter how much PV teaches the players, they will never have the talent to play this style in a small pitch like YS.
  2. Yes. At some point things will start to click and our team will exhibit control at home that translates to real SOGs and wins.
I'm fearful that the reality is #1. But oh how glorious it would be if it was #2.

As the season has progressed, I have tried to stay mindful of how much New Jersey struggled with the high press in the first part of last season, losing 5 out of 8 at one point. Eventually, they became very proficient and went on to take the Supporters' Shield. Around the end of June is when they really got it going.

I am hopeful that our efforts to play out of the back will have a similar trajectory. I've seen us play well enough leading into the Game That Shall Not Be Named that it certainly seems possible. But, our small pitch at Yankee Stadium presents an additional challenge, and it is possible that we simply don't have the technical quality to pull it off. Playing out of the back is different than the high press, which doesn't require technical skill, just good coordination.

I have been thinking about what our best Yankee Stadium starting 11 would be, and I had a scary thought yesterday (sorry, but here it comes) that a healthy(ish), fit(ish) Lampard actually may be an optimal (well, at least with our personnel) fit for our most effective Yankee Stadium starting 11. We know that PV is going to continue to play wide with 3 up front. I therefore think that it's key to have someone in the middle besides Villa who can be effective from 30 to goal, and can either make runs through traffic into the box and let Villa hold up and have an outlet for a quick pass, or be another target in the middle for the wings, or pose some danger with shots from distance. Lampard has scored like 90% of his run of play goals throughout his career within a toe of the 18 yard line, a place we almost never score from, especially at home. We can't score at home because teams park and clog. It would seem that Lampard (fuck fuck fuck) clearly would be more effective at solving this than Mikey Lopez (and probably Mix). It would push Pirlo back further than he has been playing, but so be it. And it makes us even slower and more susceptible to attack, but we still have Bravo for cover, and we need to score to win.

I don't like the thought, but Lampard (at some point assuming he can move) could be part of the solution at Yankee Stadium. Sorry.

I have been thinking about what our best Yankee Stadium starting 11 would be, and I had a scary thought yesterday (sorry, but here it comes) that a healthy(ish), fit(ish) Lampard actually may be an optimal (well, at least with our personnel) fit for our most effective Yankee Stadium starting 11. We know that PV is going to continue to play wide with 3 up front. I therefore think that it's key to have someone in the middle besides Villa who can be effective from 30 to goal, and can either make runs through traffic into the box and let Villa hold up and have an outlet for a quick pass, or be another target in the middle for the wings, or pose some danger with shots from distance. Lampard has scored like 90% of his run of play goals throughout his career within a toe of the 18 yard line, a place we almost never score from, especially at home. We can't score at home because teams park and clog. It would seem that Lampard (fuck fuck fuck) clearly would be more effective at solving this than Mikey Lopez (and probably Mix). It would push Pirlo back further than he has been playing, but so be it. And it makes us even slower and more susceptible to attack, but we still have Bravo for cover, and we need to score to win.

I don't like the thought, but Lampard (at some point assuming he can move) could be part of the solution at Yankee Stadium. Sorry.
Taking your thoughts one step farther, I wonder if it's better to not play Pirlo at home on a small field and instead have Lampard, Mix, and Harrison all marshaling the midfield so that there is a lot of ball control in the tight spaces. I love Bravo, but if he can't dribble/pass his way out of danger then it may be better to have three guys in there that can play an amoeba type formation of moving from defensive cover to offensive forays. Harrison has played DMid, so has Mix, and Lamps is a box-to-box, so while not a prototypical player for he role, the here can shift/morph as needed.

Save Bravo and Pirlo for away games with bigger fields where one has to really anticipate with defense and the other can spray passes around.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH

First, I like the theme of this which is to note that we can be massively exasperated with the entire Lampard situation while still acknowledging that he could be good for the team if he is ever fit.

I think Lampard is good at two things - scoring goals like you said and connecting passes in tight spaces in the midfield. We've suffered in both those areas at times. If he is genuinely fit at some point like he was towards the tail end of last year, I think he helps us unless his skills have significantly deteriorated in the past 9 months (which could happen at his age).

Fantastic post. I think you are spot on. Just because everyone in MLS plays a physical, boring style of soccer, doesn't mean we have to. Other leagues have changed. Look at what Serie A was 30 years ago. Now they play semi-beautiful soccer. The EPL has changed as well, although not as drastically as Serie A, as foreign influences ($) have infiltrated the league.

I would be OK if we turned into Arsenal. A top 4 team annually that plays attractive soccer.

First, I like the theme of this which is to note that we can be massively exasperated with the entire Lampard situation while still acknowledging that he could be good for the team if he is ever fit.

I think Lampard is good at two things - scoring goals like you said and connecting passes in tight spaces in the midfield. We've suffered in both those areas at times. If he is genuinely fit at some point like he was towards the tail end of last year, I think he helps us unless his skills have significantly deteriorated in the past 9 months (which could happen at his age).

The first paragraph is 100% spot on.

We have really lacked having people make runs into the box and otherwise find open space in dangerous areas. There have been lots of crosses from the end line to nobody and possession on the wing with no outlet because players aren't making that last sprint into the box. That's what Lampard built his career on.

I'm 100% in favor of Lampard playing from now through December and scoring all the goals.
Yeah, it was either keep him hurt until the summer when he'd retire, or since he's now come back milk him for every goal possible.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Great to see someone shift the focus to Orlando. NYCFC gets all the attention because they're in NY but Orlando have flown under the radar.
Yeah, NYCFC put up with a lot of crap over the Kreis firing, but Orlando's front office is a dumpster fire. Their saving grace is getting the stadium going...

Intrusive ownership has New York City, Orlando in flux in sophomore seasons

http://www.espnfc.com.au/major-leag...ork-city-orlando-in-flux-in-sophomore-seasons

I particularly liked this part:

"So when Frank Lampard was forced to shrug off being booed as a substitute last week, by remarking that he couldn't help being injured, he was perfectly correct. It's just as likely, though, the crowd were actually booing the tone-deafness of his being introduced by the stadium announcer to a suffering and knowledgeable local audience as "Super Frank Lampard." He's not yet been super in New York any more than Andrea Pirlo has been running hard, but the distance between their importance in ownership's strategy and their ineffectiveness on the field has not been addressed."

bullseye