NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2017

Two interesting tidbits from SITC:

• Red Bulls fans are salty.
  • Shannon Gomez told Crooks that he played the Cosmos game last season with a completely torn ACL and played a month after that until they realized it was torn. They did misremeber the Cosmos game as Gomez playing LB when he played RB.
  • Villa told Roberto that he is monitoring his calf which is why he subbed out of the game.

Reactions: Kjbert
Eh, I felt like Pirlo was onto a different line than most people who read the article, when I looked over it. Most people seem to take the line, rightly or wrongly, that in order for MLS to succeed/become a top league/establish itself as a major US sport (delete as applicable) then the primary factor is the standard of play, and as such all arguments revolve around all facets of this, such as how to keep the teams competitive, whether relegation is needed to make sure teams at the bottom keep fighting etc.

Thing is, that's not really the question that Pirlo was asked, and it's certainly not the one he chose to answer. He was addressing the question of what MLS needs to do to compete with China, and he naturally framed it from a very player-centric POV. The issue Pirlo was addressing was not any sort of question over whether MLS needed to be more competitive or higher-level - I don't think anyone here would argue that Chinese football is far better than that in the US - it was what MLS needs to do to compete with the way that China is suddenly absorbing vast quantities of top playing talent and is reaping the benefits of massive exposure with that.

Sure, he could still have chosen to answer the question by saying that MLS is innately a better league because of its structure, and that keeping said structure will ultimately render it victorious, but that's not the angle he sees the leagues at, and when you look at it from his angle - i.e. making the question "what does MLS need to do to attract the players who are instead choosing to go to China?" then his comments make a lot more sense.
The headline/first line makes it seem that way. But within the article, what Pirlo actually says only includes China as a throwaway "but wait, there's more" line.

I appreciate your analysis. You made me question my reading comprehension, which I rarely find need for.

I'm still comfortable with my original interpretation, this time. But it probably was worth another look.

Reactions: Kjbert
Thing is, that's not really the question that Pirlo was asked, and it's certainly not the one he chose to answer. He was addressing the question of what MLS needs to do to compete with China, and he naturally framed it from a very player-centric POV. The issue Pirlo was addressing was not any sort of question over whether MLS needed to be more competitive or higher-level - I don't think anyone here would argue that Chinese football is far better than that in the US - it was what MLS needs to do to compete with the way that China is suddenly absorbing vast quantities of top playing talent and is reaping the benefits of massive exposure with that.
I'm still comfortable with my original interpretation, this time. But it probably was worth another look.
I'm not even slightly moved. When the question is "how to compete with China for players," the answer cannot just be to spend more money with no regard of where to get the money.

- People are starving. What should they do?
- Spend more money on food.

- I can show how to get a million dollars and pay no taxes!
- Really? How!?
- First, get a million dollars.

- How can MLS compete with China to recruit players who go there for huge salaries?
- Spend more money on players.

I still maintain the entire interview with Pirlo was inane and stupid and beyond defense, and the fault lies with both parties.

I'm not even slightly moved. When the question is "how to compete with China for players," the answer cannot just be to spend more money with no regard of where to get the money.

- People are starving. What should they do?
- Spend more money on food.

- I can show how to get a million dollars and pay no taxes!
- Really? How!?
- First, get a million dollars.

- How can MLS compete with China to recruit players who go there for huge salaries?
- Spend more money on players.

I still maintain the entire interview with Pirlo was inane and stupid and beyond defense, and the fault lies with both parties.
So I'm too polite in saying I disagree. I'll try to remember that.

Media related question:

Has anyone seen NYCFC advertising this year?

We've seen newspaper ads, billboards, bus and subway ads in the past but I haven't seen a single promotion for NYCFC (outside of emails and social media) this season.

I'm trying to figure out if the team has abandoned their advertising.

Media related question:

We've seen newspaper ads, billboards, bus and subway ads in the past but I haven't seen a single promotion for NYCFC (outside of emails and social media) this season.

I've seen ads on those newish subway electronic kiosks that mix transit information with rotating ads. The NYCFC ads are pretty prevalent at Rock Center station.

Perfect. Tense commuters are really going to get excited about a game when they are either rushing to catch a train/bus or are pissed because there are delays.

Are these marketing ideas being vetted first, or is the marketing manager being given carte blanche to buy ad space???

Reactions: mgarbowski
Perfect. Tense commuters are really going to get excited about a game when they are either rushing to catch a train/bus or are pissed because there are delays.

Are these marketing ideas being vetted first, or is the marketing manager being given carte blanche to buy ad space???

Disagree on that one, it's in a great spot that draws people's attention. All about educating and reminding people that the team exists. I like the copy too.

Disagree on that one, it's in a great spot that draws people's attention. All about educating and reminding people that the team exists. I like the copy too.
If commuters are the target, then place the ads on the trains, busses, subways where the audience is captive and can mull it over. When I look at those kiosks, there's only one thing I'm interested in and that's making my connecting mode of transportation- when in a rush (every day) everything else doesn't matter until the doors close behind me.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

Agreed. I think they'd be better off doing that thing where you blanket individual subway cars with ads for one thing. Mix photos of the Villa sideways volley, Wallace and Mata doing their little dance, SJ looking like a boss, Jack on a break fighting off a defender, etc.

hi, I have a question. I just land in New York and I would love to buy a jersey of New York City fc for my younger brother who loves David villa. Do you know if the club have any boutique or where would it be the best to buy it from ?

Many thanks

hi, I have a question. I just land in New York and I would love to buy a jersey of New York City fc for my younger brother who loves David villa. Do you know if the club have any boutique or where would it be the best to buy it from ?

Many thanks
Welcome!

There isn't a team store outside of the stadium.

Modell's has several locations in the city and carries jerseys: https://www.modells.com/. A Villa shirt (vs a blank one) might be hit or miss.

A great option is Upper 90 (https://u90soccer.com/). Their Manhattan location is on the upper west side, and they also have Brooklyn and Queens stores if those better suit your travel plans.

Welcome!

There isn't a team store outside of the stadium.

Modell's has several locations in the city and carries jerseys: https://www.modells.com/. A Villa shirt (vs a blank one) might be hit or miss.

A great option is Upper 90 (https://u90soccer.com/). Their Manhattan location is on the upper west side, and they also have Brooklyn and Queens stores if those better suit your travel plans.

Yeah, Upper 90 is by far your best bet. If you can't make it to any of them, the Modell's on 42nd Street between 7th and 8th Avenues (right off Times Square) is the next best option.

Reactions: joe
Media related question:

I saw a Cosmos banner ad on the 6 train last night.