NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2017

Perfect. Tense commuters are really going to get excited about a game when they are either rushing to catch a train/bus or are pissed because there are delays.

Are these marketing ideas being vetted first, or is the marketing manager being given carte blanche to buy ad space???

Disagree. EVERYONE has to see that sign. Have you been on a bus or subway recently? No one pays attention. Everyone is on their phone or ipad.

Reactions: LeeNYCFC
Disagree. EVERYONE has to see that sign. Have you been on a bus or subway recently? No one pays attention. Everyone is on their phone or ipad.
Seeing it and paying attention are two different things. I venture that in a rush, nobody will pay attention to the advertising under the countdown clock.

If the ad boards above the seats aren't getting the necessary attention because of iPhones, then place the ads on the exterior of the cars - those can be viewed by everybody on the platform as the train arrives, and it's large enough to make a splash/be read without squinting.

This difference of opinion between you and I is exactly why I wondered if anything had been vetted.

Reactions: Kjbert
Seeing it and paying attention are two different things. I venture that in a rush, nobody will pay attention to the advertising under the countdown clock.

If the ad boards above the seats aren't getting the necessary attention because of iPhones, then place the ads on the exterior of the cars - those can be viewed by everybody on the platform as the train arrives, and it's large enough to make a splash/be read without squinting.

This difference of opinion between you and I is exactly why I wondered if anything had been vetted.
I would agree with you if that were the only ad they ever bought. They're doing a campaign though, and that's just one element of it. Not sure it's about that one particular ad choice but maybe more about wide coverage that gets seen by a lot of people a lot of times. Don't have to notice a single instance, but if you see 50 instances out of the corner of your eye it starts to add up.

I would agree with you if that were the only ad they ever bought. They're doing a campaign though, and that's just one element of it. Not sure it's about that one particular ad choice but maybe more about wide coverage that gets seen by a lot of people a lot of times. Don't have to notice a single instance, but if you see 50 instances out of the corner of your eye it starts to add up.

Exactly. If you commute every day, you see this ad EVERY DAY. Unless you want them to put ads in every single subway or LIRR car, this is the better way.

Exactly. If you commute every day, you see this ad EVERY DAY. Unless you want them to put ads in every single subway or LIRR car, this is the better way.
Doesn't have to be every car. If done on the exterior, 2-3 cars is enough as the train passes everybody waiting on the platform as it pulls in/out. And on the exterior, the opportunity is there for much larger graphics.

Agreed. I think they'd be better off doing that thing where you blanket individual subway cars with ads for one thing. Mix photos

If it sells tickets...

giphy.gif

Yes, repetition, a common advertising technique. It would have to be maintained though, even in the most unlikely places. Also, sometimes it does take that one instance for it to stick. Similar to when learning a new word, and suddenly you hear it everywhere.

I wouldn't count those. I think those are YES ads advertising the matches on YES.
There's still the question of opportunity cost. YES could always earn ad revenue advertising something else. Not sure if YES or NYCFC would be incurring the costs to put that slot in but imagine it would be both? I'm by no means a digital media ad expert though

On the contrary, the difference of opinion between the two of you is a perfect case in point of why advertising takes multiple forms. Some take in what they read on the subway, others don't. Some listen to what they hear on TV and radio, others don't. Some respond to word-of-mouth campaigns, others don't. Can't expect everyone to agree that a particular way of advertising is going to work and another isn't.

Heck, if subway advertising never worked, why would you ever see any adverts there at all?

On the contrary, the difference of opinion between the two of you is a perfect case in point of why advertising takes multiple forms. Some take in what they read on the subway, others don't. Some listen to what they hear on TV and radio, others don't. Some respond to word-of-mouth campaigns, others don't. Can't expect everyone to agree that a particular way of advertising is going to work and another isn't.

Heck, if subway advertising never worked, why would you ever see any adverts there at all?
But that's exactly my point. As of yet, I haven't seen any subway car advertising, and I don't get to the particular station that mgarbowski posted his picture from, so somebody with my commuting habits is not being targeted effectively (while it's seems they are definitely trying to target commuters).

I think seeing less traditional advertising is a good thing. I thing their target demo is more engaged digitally. They had to have spent a fortune on advertising in years 1 and 2. If there is in fact less this year, I'd hope that it's because we don't need it. The jersey is the best advertising.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I think seeing less traditional advertising is a good thing. I thing their target demo is more engaged digitally. They had to have spent a fortune on advertising in years 1 and 2. If there is in fact less this year, I'd hope that it's because we don't need it. The jersey is the best advertising.

And we're all advertisements. Wear a piece of NYCFC clothing out into the city if you'd like and spread the image of the club.

I wear my NYCFC rain jacket when I can or a sweatshirt.

true true....my nycfc winter beanie is what i use almost everyday of the winter from november till now.

I work in consulting, and I have a couple of clients out on Long Island where they give me access badges. I use my previous years' season ticket holder lanyards as my lanyards for their client sites.

And we're all advertisements. Wear a piece of NYCFC clothing out into the city if you'd like and spread the image of the club.

I wear my NYCFC rain jacket when I can or a sweatshirt.
Amen, 80% of my gym wardrobe is NYCFC stuff, and if I'm going out in public, I always have one item that projects the badge. We gotta do our part, too.

Yes, repetition, a common advertising technique. It would have to be maintained though, even in the most unlikely places. Also, sometimes it does take that one instance for it to stick. Similar to when learning a new word, and suddenly you hear it everywhere.

Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.

Reactions: Vallos and Kjbert