NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Gio Dos Santos. He is a very similar level and with the right contract, would either play for us longer or we'd be able to sell him for a decent fee.

I hope you realize my post above was a joke. Gaston Ramirez is in his mid 20s at most. But we only go after the oldies.

I am totally cool with someone 33 years old (Villa) still performing at a high level. If Pirlo came here at 33, I bet we have at least 6 more points right now. At 36 or however old he is, he isn't as good anymore.

I hope you realize Villa has been twice the player Dos Santos has been since entering MLS.

Enjoy losing then

I hope you realize Villa has been twice the player Dos Santos has been since entering MLS.

Enjoy losing then

Minimally. Villa is all we have. LA has a plethora of forwards.

If Gio was here instead of Villa he'd put up very similar numbers.

Not bashing Villa I love his play. I just think Gio is underrated due to the fact he plays for LA.

Also, Gio scores a goal every 135 minutes this year. Villa is every 141.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Jee
Giuseppe Rossi's agent "regrets" that he didn't choose the USA over Italy.

http://www.espnfc.com/italy/story/2...grets-choosing-italy-over-united-states-agent

Interesting stuff. Is he planting the seed for a transfer back to MLS? If so, he'd be a great addition.
Don't think so - the article talks about why he didn't like Spain (the talent around him wasn't very good), so I can't see him wanting to do all of he heavy lifting in MLS. It struck me that he's finally coming to his senses that he made a horrific mistake thinking he would play continuously for Italy, when at most he was going to be a squad player pre-injury, and had he chosen the US he would've gone to multiple world cups. It's a shame because he would've been The Man for the US as a homegrown poster boy made good, and he let bad advice sway his career.

Minimally. Villa is all we have. LA has a plethora of forwards.

If Gio was here instead of Villa he'd put up very similar numbers.

Not bashing Villa I love his play. I just think Gio is underrated due to the fact he plays for LA.

Also, Gio scores a goal every 135 minutes this year. Villa is every 141.

Minimally? The guy sometimes can't even break into his own squad at LAG. He's been injured. The Mexican NT coach didn't want him. You would think playing alongside Robbie Keane would free him up to score more - he hasn't. He's not an out and out striker like Villa.

I could do this all day - Villa has outperformed Gio in their time here. Simple as that. He's also been a good Captain.

I love how people want us to go after the oft injured Giuseppe Rossi but don't like the idea of a healthy Pirlo #BecauseAge

Well, I think the more common complaint about Pirlo is not age but that his skill set doesn't fit well with the rest of the team. I get that argument, but I like him, and his assist on Sunday was sublime.

As for Rossi, injuries are a concern, but if we can get comfortable there, he has the skills to really tear up the league.

Minimally? The guy sometimes can't even break into his own squad at LAG. He's been injured. The Mexican NT coach didn't want him. You would think playing alongside Robbie Keane would free him up to score more - he hasn't. He's not an out and out striker like Villa.

I could do this all day - Villa has outperformed Gio in their time here. Simple as that. He's also been a good Captain.

Gio took a little while to integrate into the squad, true.

But in the last eight Galaxy games, Gio has started all of them, subbed off twice. In that span, he has six goals and five assists. Arena has figured out how to employ Gio and Gio has figured out MLS.

I have zero complaints about Villa, he's awesome. And I wouldn't swap them out now for a number of chemistry, consistency, marketing, and other reasons. But you have to recognize how awesome of a signing Gio Dos Santos was for the Galaxy both on-the-field and off the field. In a vacuum, I think you definitely take Gio.

Gio took a little while to integrate into the squad, true.

But in the last eight Galaxy games, Gio has started all of them, subbed off twice. In that span, he has six goals and five assists. Arena has figured out how to employ Gio and Gio has figured out MLS.

I have zero complaints about Villa, he's awesome. And I wouldn't swap them out now for a number of chemistry, consistency, marketing, and other reasons. But you have to recognize how awesome of a signing Gio Dos Santos was for the Galaxy both on-the-field and off the field. In a vacuum, I think you definitely take Gio.

Great, but this isn't a vacuum. For what this team has needed over the last 18 months, Villa has been the better option.

If I was a mid-table EPL team, I would pick Gio too. But again, these decisions aren't made in a vacuum.

Great, but this isn't a vacuum. For what this team has needed over the last 18 months, Villa has been the better option.

If I was a mid-table EPL team, I would pick Gio too. But again, these decisions aren't made in a vacuum.

I agree, which is why I said "I wouldn't swap them out now for a number of... reasons."

You made it sound like Villa is the better player hands down in any circumstance. I disagreed with that.

Juan Mata. Under 30. Surely won't stay on Man United with Mourinho coming in.
I wish. I think he's clearly leaving MU, but this go-around he will end up playing for a top team in a top league, making MLS very unlikely. He could even end up at Barca, as the rumors suggest.

Reactions: Kjbert
Don't think so - the article talks about why he didn't like Spain (the talent around him wasn't very good), so I can't see him wanting to do all of he heavy lifting in MLS. It struck me that he's finally coming to his senses that he made a horrific mistake thinking he would play continuously for Italy, when at most he was going to be a squad player pre-injury, and had he chosen the US he would've gone to multiple world cups. It's a shame because he would've been The Man for the US as a homegrown poster boy made good, and he let bad advice sway his career.
He would have been a big part of Italy's last world cup squad. But he was of course injured. Pretty sure he was number one for them through a fair amount of qualifying.

He did make an objective mistake. Whatever. Really only would have mattered in 2010.

Neymar was in the city today (per Snapchat). He attended the Mets game. I'd like to think he'll show up at our game, like Bale did last year. Neymar to Man City then NYCFC in 8-10 years.

Reactions: Kjbert
De Rossi just said that he will play one more season at Roma and then wants to come to the United States after that. Also said about a month ago that he loves New York City and would like to possibly play there someday.

He'd bring a huge defensive boost to the midfield and his passing game is very underrated. Although seeing him in the same colors as Lazio grosses me out a little.

Reactions: BxLio91
No thank you - he would be 34 when he arrives. Right? I thought we don't want old players anymore

Reactions: gbservis