NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Exactly. Rooney also played in a league known for physicality and defense; only recently has the EPL shifted top/bottom to a more elegant passing/attacking game, for all teams, with the influx of high caliber players which lessens the chances of going up against a parked-bus defense. While not a defensive farce like the Dutch Eredivise, for the decade prior to the last few years, La Liga was a very wide open attacking league with suspect defending below the top 3-4 teams. I do not think anybody could ever legitimately argue Villa faced tougher defenses top/bottom week in/out as Rooney did.
I don't think it's an argument of just tougher defenses though, I think Villa went up against better technical players being in Spain. I don't think English teams have much technical ability aside from the top 5 or 6, the middle and bottom of the packs just tend to duke it out in a physical manner. Rooney may have had a tougher time but the reason for that, I believe, isn't due to facing tougher defenses but teams that just hacked and slashed through games.

To put the comparison into perspective:

Before joining CFG, David Villa scored 286 goals in 606 appearances for his Club.
Up until today, Wayne Rooney has scored 270 goals in 630 appearances for his Club. Rooney is two years younger than Villa was when he left for CFG, but Villa has done it in fewer appearances.

David Villa has scored 59 goals in 97 appearances for Spain. Wayne Rooney has scored 53 goals in 119 appearances for England. Both are probably done playing at the international level.

David Villa won the Spanish Player of the Year in 2006. He was the Golden Boot Winner at Euro 2008 and was in the UEFA Team of the Year in 2010. He has won 3 Copa Del Reys, 3 La Liga Titles and one Champions League Title
Wayne Rooney won the PFA Player of the Year in 2010. He was named to the FIFA World XI in 2011. He has won 1 FA Cup, 5 Premier League Titles and 1 Champions League Title.

Not too far off.

To put the comparison into perspective:

Before joining CFG, David Villa scored 286 goals in 606 appearances for his Club.
Up until today, Wayne Rooney has scored 270 goals in 630 appearances for his Club. Rooney is two years younger than Villa was when he left for CFG, but Villa has done it in fewer appearances.

David Villa has scored 59 goals in 97 appearances for Spain. Wayne Rooney has scored 53 goals in 119 appearances for England. Both are probably done playing at the international level.

David Villa won the Spanish Player of the Year in 2006. He was the Golden Boot Winner at Euro 2008 and was in the UEFA Team of the Year in 2010. He has won 3 Copa Del Reys, 3 La Liga Titles and one Champions League Title
Wayne Rooney won the PFA Player of the Year in 2010. He was named to the FIFA World XI in 2011. He has won 1 FA Cup, 5 Premier League Titles and 1 Champions League Title.

Not too far off.

not far off but basically a step below which is what ive been saying. Regardless, my point just was i dont want him on our team. Which is what this thread is about regardless of who thinks this discussion is off topic.

not far off but basically a step below which is what ive been saying. Regardless, my point just was i dont want him on our team. Which is what this thread is about regardless of who thinks this discussion is off topic.

Villa also played 30 matches a year against the Las Palmas and Getafes of the world and was surrounded by guys like Messi, Costa, Pedro, Iniesta, Xavi, etc.

Wayne Rooney was getting service from Owen Hargreaves while Villa partnered with Messi.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Villa also played 30 matches a year against the Las Palmas and Getafes of the world and was surrounded by guys like Messi, Costa, Pedro, Iniesta, Xavi, etc.

Wayne Rooney was getting service from Owen Hargreaves while Villa partnered with Messi.
In fairness, Owen Hargreaves was a damn fine midfielder before his career-destroying injury. He was a regular on Munich's squad for years and won a couple League titles, a bunch of domestic Cups, and also the Champions League (started in midfield that game).
At ManU, he won the Domestic League and Champions League his first year there. His career went downhill his second year with a spat of injuries.

Hargreaves is a different style of midfield player than any that Villa would have played with in LaLiga, but Hargreaves was a perfect combination of skill/physicality for both the Bundesliga and the PL. Munich wouldn't have made him a mainstay if he wasn't a top midfielder.

Well Best was Northern Irish so I guess the Bale of his day. Not sure Rooney was/is better than Hoddle, Waddle, Linekar , Gazza in his prime (short as that was) tough to compare generations .

I would agree that Rooney probably isn't in that category, although the players you've chosen to compare him with aren't exactly the best English footballers in history either. You need to look back at the England teams of the 50s to 70s to see the best examples of footballers England has ever produced.

Reactions: Kjbert and Fake Jew
I would agree that Rooney probably isn't in that category, although the players you've chosen to compare him with aren't exactly the best English footballers in history either. You need to look back at the England teams of the 50s to 70s to see the best examples of footballers England has ever produced.

And that's the point. I don't know if this means BRITISH (should have used that term, becuase I include Bale in my thoughts) players have generally sucked over the last 40 years?

Gazza was fun. But he didn't have a decade of high level play, did he? Also self destructed I think like Best?

And that's the point. I don't know if this means BRITISH (should have used that term, becuase I include Bale in my thoughts) players have generally sucked over the last 40 years?

Gazza was fun. But he didn't have a decade of high level play, did he? Also self destructed I think like Best?

Gazza still is self-destructing...

So there is trouble out in LA. Two players who could help us. I don't know if they would make either of them available but they would be very interesting fits.

Ashley Cole is having a very good year. He's played both LB and LM for them this year. I believe his contract ends at the end of this season.

Gyasi Zardes has not found the MLS form under Onalfo that he had under Arena. He's intriguing and frustrating. I don't know if he's a wise player or a CF but he has an incredibly reasonable MLS contract and could provide help at multiple positions.

Would you trade Lewis and GAM for Zardes? Would you trade GAM for Cole?

So there is trouble out in LA. Two players who could help us. I don't know if they would make either of them available but they would be very interesting fits.

Ashley Cole is having a very good year. He's played both LB and LM for them this year. I believe his contract ends at the end of this season.

Gyasi Zardes has not found the MLS form under Onalfo that he had under Arena. He's intriguing and frustrating. I don't know if he's a wise player or a CF but he has an incredibly reasonable MLS contract and could provide help at multiple positions.

I would most definitely not move Lewis for Zardes. Not even close.

I'd maybe consider moving GAM for Cole, but leaning much more towards no at this point. IMO, depends if we (really team doctors and coaches) think we can get Mata back this season at all. That would definitely be a "win-now" move as I'm not certain Cole would fit in with us past this season.

I don't want Ashley Cole for $377,625. That's way too much for one player. We can get probably two guys for $150K that are good enough for MLS.

Lewis + GAM is a non-starter for nearly anybody, but especially Zardes. We gave up Garber bucks to draft Lewis and if we ship him off with more GAM, then it would go down as perhaps the worst trade/draft/trade in the history of MLS. Lewis better play out his entire contract with us, or if traded we fleece the other team with the return, otherwise heads belong on spikes.