NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

I know, I'm poking fun at how the name "Balotelli" seems to pop up every once in a while when things aren't going well and people get desperate or bored.

Or Torres or whatever other big name ST/CF of the moment, followed by a bunch of pointless Fifa lineup style conversations about how displacing Villa the best player in the league to LW is no big deal.

I think Paul Arriola would be a neat piece in a PV lineup at Right Back, but I wonder if he'd leave us a little too exposed defensively in the 4-3-3, especially if you already have Sweat or Mata on the left.
He's a Forward/winger and he's short, so RB/wingback may not be the best position for him. Khiry can play it because he's got height/build to muscle players off the balls and win headers.

Now if we want to talk about getting Arriola for the RW spot and moving Jack to CM, then I think it makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: sbrylski
He's a Forward/winger and he's short, so RB/wingback may not be the best position for him. Khiry can play it because he's got height/build to muscle players off the balls and win headers.

Now if we want to talk about getting Arriola for the RW spot and moving Jack to CM, then I think it makes a lot of sense.
He plays right wing back for Tiajuana and has done very well there, but I agree that he'd fit better without the defensive responsibilities.

Reactions: Kjbert
The bias some of you guys have for our own players is idiotic. Jon Lewis may end up being a good player, but right now, he's a back-up in MLS. I may not do a Lewis for Zardes trade but don't over value Lewis either.

The Cole one is a headscratcher. All of you guys hate Lopez but you wouldn't want Cole to play LB. Why? He's a fucking 3 month rental. Do you want to win MLS Cup or no?

And no, there aren't two guys out there making $150k who are as good as Cole has been this year. Arguably, he's been the best MLS LB this season.

He plays right wing back for Tiajuana and has done very well there, but I agree that he'd fit better without the defensive responsibilities.
Really? Then that's my mistake. I've never followed his club career.

I've only watched him for the USMNT and he's played advanced every time. And crazy to think Zusi still gets the nod over him, which either means Arena has a real liking of Zusi's skills or he thinks Arriola's skills are better in the attack. I really hope it's not the first.

The bias some of you guys have for our own players is idiotic. Jon Lewis may end up being a good player, but right now, he's a back-up in MLS. I may not do a Lewis for Zardes trade but don't over value Lewis either.

The Cole one is a headscratcher. All of you guys hate Lopez but you wouldn't want Cole to play LB. Why? He's a fucking 3 month rental. Do you want to win MLS Cup or no?

And no, there aren't two guys out there making $150k who are as good as Cole has been this year. Arguably, he's been the best MLS LB this season.
Would be worth noting though that Zardes would count against the cap, and Lewis does not while he is GA

While we are on the topic, MLS doesn't really have buyers and sellers like MLB does, but there are some teams that are already out of it. Other guys that COULD be made available:

DC United: Lloyd Sam
Colorado: Michael Azira, Bobby Burling
New England: Chris Tierney
Philly: Charlie Davies, Chris Pontius

With Dom Dwyer headed to Orlando, another interesting name is Giles Barnes. Kaka, Larin and Dwyer are all going to play. Carlos Rivas too. Barnes would seem to be the odd man out

Lewis is indeed an unknown, but giving up on him without finding out the unknown is poor management and borderline fireable since Garber bucks were used to get him. And if the hypothetical situation was to add more Garber bucks to trade him away, for a guy that is so hit/miss with his hot/cold streaks, then you're talking about $450-550k + 1st round top pick, and might as well order a bunch of cardboard boxes to clean out your desk. Check that, after the Garber bucks, there may only be heavy duty trash bags for the move.

I'd definitely consider Cole on a 3month contract depending on what we give up for him. I'm not mortgaging the team to make a play for him now. Yes we're playing to win the Cup this year, but I'm not chopping my leg off for next year. Is Cole our only looksee for LB or are there others? How much does LA eat on Cole's contract? Lots of unknowns. If LA really wants to move him, then I'd make LA sweat it out until the end before pulling the trigger. I'd also want to see if Sweat recovers from his concussion. I'm ok using him for the home stretch provided he isn't suffering long term symptoms; his backup options make me cringe, so I'd be aggressively looking and cautious to make the move.

Here's the last hypothetical.... Mix's loan ends in August. If he were to come back he'd be less than half his $750k salary since more than half the season is over. If he isn't picked up by a European team with a long term contract, do we bring him in on a 3month stint for $300k? If we could move TMac in a trade for another player, wing or outside back, then I could see Mix being a very good option as a backup midfielder or even an advanced attacker (both how TMac is currently used).

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
While we are on the topic, MLS doesn't really have buyers and sellers like MLB does, but there are some teams that are already out of it. Other guys that COULD be made available:

DC United: Lloyd Sam
Colorado: Michael Azira, Bobby Burling
New England: Chris Tierney
Philly: Charlie Davies, Chris Pontius

With Dom Dwyer headed to Orlando, another interesting name is Giles Barnes. Kaka, Larin and Dwyer are all going to play. Carlos Rivas too. Barnes would seem to be the odd man out

What's up with that, btw? Surprising to see SKC dump a starter. They going with Rubio? That's a disruptive move for a contender to make.

Reactions: Kjbert
What's up with that, btw? Surprising to see SKC dump a starter. They going with Rubio? That's a disruptive move for a contender to make.
I think it's Vermes saying the team is bigger than Dwyer while cashing in immensely on him before he can leave for nothing. Think about it this way: Max GAM for a transfer is just barely north of $650k with the rest going to a team's coffers - SKC is getting that plus the possibility of double that depending on whatever the contractual milestones are - that's like transferring two players for top value at one time, no team has done that before with any part of their squad. SKC is about to become a very rich club in terms of resources, and Orlando is taking out a 2nd and 3rd mortgage during a "down market." Kreis is really fcking them over long term and chances are he won't be there to suffer it. I'm not sure Orlando will ever recover after this trade.

Last edited:
I think it's Vermes saying the team is bigger than Dwyer while cashing in immensely on him before he can leave for nothing. Think about it this way: Max GAM for a transfer is just barely north of $650k with the rest going to a team's coffers - SKc is getting that plus the possibility of double that depending on whatever the contractual milestones are - that's like transferring two players for top value at one time, no team has done that before with any pet of their squad. SKC is about to become a very rich club in terms of resources, and Orlando is taking out a 2nd and 3rd mortgage during a "down market." Kreis is really fcking them over long term and chances are he won't be there to suffer it. I'm not sure Orlando will ever recover after this trade.

Good take. Definitely seems like an offer so good, SKC must accept it. They can probably grab Kei Kamara on the cheap and get just as much production too.

Meanwhile, is Dom Dwyer really going to push Orlando over the top? Not likely. Yet they just mortgaged their future for him, and will probably make him a DP, handcuffing them even more.

Good take. Definitely seems like an offer so good, SKC must accept it. They can probably grab Kei Kamara on the cheap and get just as much production too.

Meanwhile, is Dom Dwyer really going to push Orlando over the top? Not likely. Yet they just mortgaged their future for him, and will probably make him a DP, handcuffing them even more.

The whole thing reeks of desperation on the part of Kries to stop the rapid downward spiral of his rep.

The whole thing reeks of desperation on the part of Kries to stop the rapid downward spiral of his rep.

Also the Kries strategy of looking backwards to see what worked 2-5 years ago and assuming it will still work. In MLS, you can go from one of the best in the league to merely average in two transfer windows. Dwyer was among the best in the league in 2014. He's good-not-great today.

Kries will be an assistant national team coach in two years.

Absolute home run by SKC. Why sell to Greek team or others where you only get $650k of allocation money. Even if it means their on field performance struggles a bit the rest of the year if they are unable to replace him, they are going ot be make some MAJOR off season moves. Watch out.

Think it ends up being a disastrous move for Orlando even if it helps them this season.