NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

So there is trouble out in LA. Two players who could help us. I don't know if they would make either of them available but they would be very interesting fits.

Ashley Cole is having a very good year. He's played both LB and LM for them this year. I believe his contract ends at the end of this season.

Gyasi Zardes has not found the MLS form under Onalfo that he had under Arena. He's intriguing and frustrating. I don't know if he's a wise player or a CF but he has an incredibly reasonable MLS contract and could provide help at multiple positions.

Would you trade Lewis and GAM for Zardes? Would you trade GAM for Cole?
LA is about to sign Jonathan Dos Santos as a third DP. They are not jettisoning anyone. If they don't turn around second half, they will fire Onalfo and let the new skipper make the shake up.

Reactions: Kjbert and dannd23
So there is trouble out in LA. Two players who could help us. I don't know if they would make either of them available but they would be very interesting fits.

Ashley Cole is having a very good year. He's played both LB and LM for them this year. I believe his contract ends at the end of this season.

Gyasi Zardes has not found the MLS form under Onalfo that he had under Arena. He's intriguing and frustrating. I don't know if he's a wise player or a CF but he has an incredibly reasonable MLS contract and could provide help at multiple positions.

Would you trade Lewis and GAM for Zardes? Would you trade GAM for Cole?

What trouble do you speak of, or just their record?

I am not giving up Lewis for Zardes, but I would absolutely take Zardes in a heartbeat if we could find the right non-DP deal for him. As painfully frustrating he is to watch for the US sometimes, it is undeniable that he is one of the better forward players in MLS especially being American.

Reactions: Kjbert
I would most definitely not move Lewis for Zardes. Not even close.

I'd maybe consider moving GAM for Cole, but leaning much more towards no at this point. IMO, depends if we (really team doctors and coaches) think we can get Mata back this season at all. That would definitely be a "win-now" move as I'm not certain Cole would fit in with us past this season.
I wouldn't touch Cole. I'd bet this is his last "good season". Lewis for Zardes is interesting. Zardes's first touch has definitely improved from last year. I would take him for straight up cash. Not a fan of trading players in soccer. Rather aquire/release. But if that's the deal on the table I probably wouldn't trade Lewis for Zardes. Only have seen limited minutes but he looks promising. Will be fun to watch him develop.

We have a Zardes that never plays.

To me, Cole is the more interesting option. If we got the cap relief alongside the player to make it happen, I'd ship TPFKAU off for 4 mos of Ashley Cole in a New York minute, or as we say here, a minute.

We trying to win trophies here. Trophies. You don't do that playing RJ Allen and Mikey Lopez as your left back. Hell, I'm not totally sold you win them with Sweat there. If you do, it's in spite of, not because of.

To me, Cole is the more interesting option. If we got the cap relief alongside the player to make it happen, I'd ship TPFKAU off for 4 mos of Ashley Cole in a New York minute, or as we say here, a minute.

We trying to win trophies here. Trophies. You don't do that playing RJ Allen and Mikey Lopez as your left back. Hell, I'm not totally sold you win them with Sweat there. If you do, it's in spite of, not because of.

welcome to the Dark Side

Reactions: Kjbert

This was my thought. Khiry is a poor man's Zardes in training (or at this point, not training). And Lewis appears to have a crafty skill set and could develop into a dangerous MLS player. Notwithstanding PV's kid gloves with the kid, the glimpses suggest that we were wise to spend the resources to draft him.

As for Cole, I can't stand the guy, but I could get beyond past feelings for a favorable deal that ensures that our back-up backs never sniff the field and we add some experience for a Cup run. And I would hope that Cole could be further rejuvenated playing for his old buddy Patrick.

As for Cole, I can't stand the guy, but I could get beyond past feelings for a favorable deal that ensures that our back-up backs never sniff the field and we add some experience for a Cup run. And I would hope that Cole could be further rejuvenated playing for his old buddy Patrick.
Basically, these are my feelings. I have never loved Cole, but I think he would be exactly the kind of player (eta: we need for a Cup push). I've softened on my vehement dislike of him lately, anyway.

I look at it like an MLB club going out and bringing in a new pitcher for the stretch run. If you have a real chance at winning a championship, you have to maximize the potential. There's no one we've discussed here that wouldn't be worth putting up for Cole, excepting Lewis. And that's probably more of a function of what we spent to get him than it is he's totally irreplaceable. We just put ourselves in a corner with the GAM we traded away for him (not to say that was a bad decision, it's just the inevitable outcome of dropping $350k for a draft spot).

Last edited: