NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Kries will be an assistant national team coach in two years.
Don't bet on that. Kreis has already used his one Pass to get a NT coaching gig after we canned him, and if he fails miserably again with Orlando, I don't think there will be any fellow MLS coaches that would sign him as their Asst when tapped up to lead the National Team, and definitely no foreign coaches that'd trust a shitty American manager like him. If Kreis fcks up at Orlando, he's gonna be persona non grata for future head coach openings and at best, he'll get a spot as a club Asst for somebody that he's friends with, even then, it's gonna be a dicey hire for the friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: JGarrettLieb
Reactions: NYCFCfan
Really? Then that's my mistake. I've never followed his club career.

I've only watched him for the USMNT and he's played advanced every time. And crazy to think Zusi still gets the nod over him, which either means Arena has a real liking of Zusi's skills or he thinks Arriola's skills are better in the attack. I really hope it's not the first.
To be fair, it's a similar wide-mid role to where CP played most of his time last year. Yes, you have much of the defensive responsibilities of a wingback, but it's not at all the same as a right back in a 4 man back line.

Reactions: Ulrich
So the Dom Dwyer transfer just set the market for an MLS All-Star CF at $1.6 Million.

For anyone that truly believes we are better with Sweat than Ashley Cole at LB, I ask you to please watch an LA Galaxy game.

Reactions: NYCFCfan
So the Dom Dwyer transfer just set the market for an MLS All-Star CF at $1.6 Million.

Should be noted that is not $1.6 Million but $1.6M of GAM and TAM. Hard to put a real value on what TAM/GAM to dollars is, but just for fun, I'd guess somewhere between between every $4 and $5 is equal to $1 of TAM/GAM. Typing this post and using TAM/GAM this much made me realize how much I hate this league sometimes.

Reactions: Kjbert
I liked what I saw of him. Was hoping we were taking a look, and almost brought my wacky idea here. I just didn't want to upset LionNYC LionNYC anymore since he's so found of Lurch.

Rawls is the one being cut, not Eirik. NOT EIRIK! (In my season ticket contract, it says they can't cut him or I get free tickets for life.)

I ask you to please watch an LA Galaxy game.

giphy.gif

For anyone that truly believes we are better with Sweat than Ashley Cole at LB, I ask you to please watch an LA Galaxy game.
I'm not certain anyone is arguing that we would be better with Sweat than Cole at LB. The largest question in my mind on this is what is Matarrita's true status. If he has a shot at returning near the end of the regular season, then I do not make this move. If its more likely that he is for sure done, then I would definitely consider a move for Cole (obviously depending on what we give up).

ETA: I admit I haven't watched much LAG this year at all, but I take your word for Cole's performance this year. I'm still not all that impressed with Sweat or comfortable with him there though he has played in some good crosses that have led to goals and helped us win games.

Last edited:
We absolutely have a shot at the MLS Cup this year, but we should also be sitting pretty next year too, with Villa back, almost everyone else back, and the ability to bring in a new DP. Remember that the playoffs are a crapshoot. The best team wins far less than half the time. The key is not to be the best team in any particular year but to be among the best teams as much as possible knowing that you will roll a 7 every now and again.

So, it is worth making a move to maximize our chances this season only if it doesn't compromise our chances for next season or in the few years beyond.

We absolutely have a shot at the MLS Cup this year, but we should also be sitting pretty next year too, with Villa back, almost everyone else back, and the ability to bring in a new DP. Remember that the playoffs are a crapshoot. The best team wins far less than half the time. The key is not to be the best team in any particular year but to be among the best teams as much as possible knowing that you will roll a 7 every now and again.

So, it is worth making a move to maximize our chances this season only if it doesn't compromise our chances for next season or in the few years beyond.
Next year could be the first time we consistently have 3DPs playing in each match. Only will have taken 4 seasons to say that (season 2 was a trial run for half the season). That alone should give us a good shot since we've been really effective this year using just 2.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
David Villa can't do this forever. In sports, you always try to win now. If Ashley Cole gives you a better chance to win in 2017, you go buy him. I would say that even if Matarrita was coming back this year (spoiler: he's not).

There is NO guarantee we're this good when Villa slides or retires. He's the best player in MLS. Think the Cavs are going to rebuild while LeBron is in his prime? Of course not. Forget about next year. We're not the freaking Jets.

Let's say you could get Ashley Cole for $250k of GAM. What do you do?

I'd hesitate on anything that compromises next season but I'd be fully willing to take a hit that hurts a bit a few years out to go all in now. It could be a very long time until we have another player like Villa, for all he's done and how much he cares I'd love to see us get one before he's gone.

Let's say you could get Ashley Cole for $250k of GAM. What do you do?
We only have $200k (rumor has it), but if we had 250 we should do it. I wouldn't add a player of Lewis' potential to that 250.

Reactions: Kjbert

Not sure who you are arguing with so vehemently about Ashley Cole. Even Ben Sweats most fervent supporters, myself included, would say that LB and RB are places we desperately need to upgrade. If Ashley Cole is the best option among available Fullbacks, I would do it. I would prefer a quality younger guy that could be around for a while, but if you are searching for someone to say we don't need fullbacks, I dont think youll find a taker.

Someone above said they would rather us sign two guys for $150k each than Ashley Cole. I don't know who those mystery guys are but I'd love to see them

Someone above said they would rather us sign two guys for $150k each than Ashley Cole. I don't know who those mystery guys are but I'd love to see them

I said the former. Claudio Reyna has the names of those guys.