NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic, but Sweat is making the league minimum so i'd hope $150k would get us somebody better
He's out performing his pay right now

It is hard to keep track of everyone's opinions on the relative merits of Allen, Sweat and White regarding which ones (1) suck, (2) are barely adequate, or (3) exceed their pay grade.

It is hard to keep track of everyone's opinions on the relative merits of Allen, Sweat and White regarding which ones (1) suck, (2) are barely adequate, or (3) exceed their pay grade.
With the exception of a few of us, most on the board that post about them feel all three are #1. I'm of the opinion the latter two definitely are exceeding their pay grade.

I've been trumpeting that for a while. Can't asked a league-minimum guy to do more than he has - emergency full-time starter with a hand in a half-dozen scores.

I think it's fair to ask that he run as hard as possible back on defense when he gets caught out, that's not a skill, it's just effort. For the most part though I do agree he's been getting better each game and he is performing well beyond his pay grade.

Within their defined roles, Sweat and White have been about as average to slightly above average. At their salaries, getting anything better than average is pretty remarkable and we should consider ourselves lucky. White struggled against Accam, but Accam is in a league of his own based on quickness and we still STILL struggled to shift from left to right quickly enough in the second half. I'm not too worried about our back line for the rest of the season, so long as we have Chanot back for the playoffs.

Next year, it'd be nice to invest in an RB and a DP LW.

With the exception of a few of us, most on the board that post about them feel all three are #1. I'm of the opinion the latter two definitely are exceeding their pay grade.
Both are not mutually exclusive: you expect minimum pay guys to suck; RJ earns a bunch more money and is less reliable than both Sweat and White, so yes, there's a chance you spend 150K and get guys no better than Sweat or White. We should be thankful that our dirt cheap replacements have been passable and injury resistant.

I'd argue that all 3 of them are both #2 (in terms of adequate for a starter) AND #3. I wouldn't necessarily say any of them are #1, though each of them have definitely had games where their performance for that match fell into #1.

Both are not mutually exclusive: you expect minimum pay guys to suck; RJ earns a bunch more money and is less reliable than both Sweat and White, so yes, there's a chance you spend 150K and get guys no better than Sweat or White. We should be thankful that our dirt cheap replacements have been passable and injury resistant.
RJ makes $101k,so while it's more than his production warrants, it's not lighting the CAP on fire. I would fully expect with the scouts we have via CFG, $150k would bring in a guy much more helpful than our current group. Where we get into trouble with player salaries is when we give raises to guys already on the team (Hernandez, TMac, RJ), we're not good at internal HR evaluations, but we are proving (these last two years) at identifying talent that can be gotten on the proverbial cheap.

We absolutely have a shot at the MLS Cup this year, but we should also be sitting pretty next year too, with Villa back, almost everyone else back, and the ability to bring in a new DP. Remember that the playoffs are a crapshoot. The best team wins far less than half the time. The key is not to be the best team in any particular year but to be among the best teams as much as possible knowing that you will roll a 7 every now and again.

So, it is worth making a move to maximize our chances this season only if it doesn't compromise our chances for next season or in the few years beyond.
I get what you're saying, but this year, beyond a shadow of a doubt for me, we are only fullbacks away from being able to start the best 11 in the league.

All years are not created equally.

Don't waste a single year of having an all time great player at peak power.

Far more risk in mortgaging today for tomorrow than vice versa, especially when volatility is so high. I think you may be over-weighting future returns immensely.

Was there any of this for Villa, Lampard, or Pirlo's arrival? I don't think New York City has a fanbase that would do this. Or is a city that is geographically inclined to go to the airport just to see a player arrive.

I don't even want to go near LGA or JFK when I have to fly out of them. Our airports suck. If we had a first team training ground or stadium in the five boroughs it would probably be an easier sell for a lot more people to do.

I could be very wrong but this appears to be a very Italian soccer/Ultras/Supports thing at least thats where I see it most and it appears they do it for most of the signings they make. Saw it last a couple days ago from Lazio for Lucas Leiva .

I don't even want to go near LGA or JFK when I have to fly out of them. Our airports suck. If we had a first team training ground or stadium in the five boroughs it would probably be an easier sell for a lot more people to do.

I could be very wrong but this appears to be a very Italian soccer/Ultras/Supports thing at least thats where I see it most and it appears they do it for most of the signings they make. Saw it last a couple days ago from Lazio for Lucas Leiva .
Not Italian per se. More like have a quick trip to the airport and live in a place where it's easy and not much else is going on.

Good luck getting me to drop $150 rt on a cab to shout hi to a guy who hasn't scored a goal or made a tackle for my club. Maybe to say goodbye to Villa.

Not Italian per se. More like have a quick trip to the airport and live in a place where it's easy and not much else is going on.

Good luck getting me to drop $150 rt on a cab to shout hi to a guy who hasn't scored a goal or made a tackle for my club. Maybe to say goodbye to Villa.

Agreed, especially here. Dom feels like an exception with him starting his career there. We need to pull a Totti with Villa and just put him in the front office so we don't have to say goodbye.

Just ride the train with the rest of us hoi polloi

Agreed, especially here. Dom feels like an exception with him starting his career there. We need to pull a Totti with Villa and just put him in the front office so we don't have to say goodbye.
I'd be very surprised if Villa doesn't have a position with NYCFC/CFG already inked for when he retires.