NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

On a level playing field (USA u23 roster), Keisewetter is the starting forward while Khiry is a bench player. JK also has the Bundesliga experience and development. I'll jump on the beer bet with Ulrich.

JK is not subject to the allocation list, but being on someone's discovery list is a possibility. Of course this MLS, so rules are made to be broken.

With all that said, I wouldn't sign as a DP. Should be cheaper though.

And if Shelton was instead Shelneider he would be definitely be starting.

How the hell is LAG allowed to give a guy a contract that pays him 400k now, but if he plays 23 games, he makes $3 Million on a DP contract the next two years? I understand the why of it (no DP slot now and injury concerns), but what happened to the contracts being amortized over the lifetime of the deal? That's BS.

Go sign Terry on a free for $2 and tell him if he can find parking around Yankee Stadium you will pay him $5 Million next year.

How the hell is LAG allowed to give a guy a contract that pays him 400k now, but if he plays 23 games, he makes $3 Million on a DP contract the next two years? I understand the why of it (no DP slot now and injury concerns), but what happened to the contracts being amortized over the lifetime of the deal? That's BS.

I thought there was some type of "likelihood of condition" factor that went into determining whether the full amount of a players incentives were included on the salary budget charge.

Then again, MLS literally does what it wants, so who cares.

Reactions: Kjbert

It's only BS unless we do it ;)

Seriously though. They have a pretty stacked team. Even though they tied the Santos game...they looked a notch above any MLS team I've seen. Van Damme looked like a legit top 3 defender, Nigel had the midfield on lock down, Cole played his position like it should be played. Add the others to that mix...sweet set up.

The MLS sure created a nice showcase team out there in LA.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
so let's use a guy like Daniel Sturridge as an example.

let's say he is allowed to walk this summer after missing 83% of Liverpool's matches. Is that to say we could sign him this summer on a low contract and promise him $10 Million a year starting next year if he plays 50% of the games for NYCFC? Something like that?

Go sign Terry on a free for $2 and tell him if he can find parking around Yankee Stadium you will pay him $5 Million next year.

They need to make sure he isn't spending all of his time on the beach.

let's say he is allowed to walk this summer after missing 83% of Liverpool's matches. Is that to say we could sign him this summer on a low contract and promise him $10 Million a year starting next year if he plays 50% of the games for NYCFC? Something like that?
Wouldn't happen because Sturridge would get too many offers to stay in the prem and expecting him to be fit enough to play 50% of games is MADNESS.

My interpretation - and I will admit that I should know better but I'm still new enough to MLS that I believe that there's a core of actual rational intelligence behind the rules somewhere - is that MLS have basically gone "hey look, you can issue that contract if you want, but I promise you that as soon as the clause triggers we're going to hold you to your commitment to a maximum of DP players". Note that the clause kicks in after 23 games - somewhat over half a season, and a sufficient period that right around the mid-way point of the league the team should have enough forewarning to know whether or not the clause is going to kick in. If it is, they can then look at restructuring their team (i.e. perhaps offloading an existing DP) during the mid-season transfer window. If it looks like he's not likely to reach the threshold then you can defer to the following off-season.

And hey, worst things worst they could always do what some lower-league teams are known to do when they realise they can't honour the commitments they made to their players - dump the guy in the reserves when he is one game away from triggering the clause, meaning you get 22 games of quality from the guy and then you let him rot on low wages until such a point as you can sever his contract.

It's only BS unless we do it ;)

Seriously though. They have a pretty stacked team. Even though they tied the Santos game...they looked a notch above any MLS team I've seen. Van Damme looked like a legit top 3 defender, Nigel had the midfield on lock down, Cole played his position like it should be played. Add the others to that mix...sweet set up.

The MLS sure created a nice showcase team out there in LA.
Wait until they have an injury or two....

My first initial thoughts as well...but MLS will be much better off if they do well though.
No doubt. And I'll be perfectly content if NYCFC smacks them in the face with a 4-1 win when they come here.

Any chance we she'll out major petro-dollars on a major transfer fee player if Lampard breaks down by the summer transfer window? Or maybe the mothership can toss us a bone? Yaya? Nasri? Bony? Navas?

Players that are 28+ years old, at Manchester, that are deemed no longer necessary should be offered large contracts to come here. Avoiding the transfer fee so you can pay them the extra bit. Then, when they're 35-ish offer them another fat payday to go to Melbourne.

Last edited:
NYCFCfan wrote in his answers to questions from the NYCFCNation twitter that we may see a summer transfer of Yaya receiving an Ashely Cole style contact without DP status this year then next year becoming a DP when Lamps leaves.

Okay Zlatan, here's the deal. We'll pay you $100 this year, but if you can grow a mustache that makes grown men weep, we'll pay you 20 mil next year.

Done. And done.