NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Wait a few years and pay out the ass for Insigne and we could have our own little blue version of Giovinco. Problem is he's too young now and not having the same issues Gio was in Italy. You never know what could happen in 3 years though. His contract is through 2019, he'll be 27.

Reactions: 21Architect
Didn't know where to put this. Per Nick Chavez on Twitter: "RUMOR: 23 y/o Melbourne City (Manchester City loanee) central midfielder Anthony Caceres is currently being considered to be loaned to NYCFC".

Didn't know where to put this. Per Nick Chavez on Twitter: "RUMOR: 23 y/o Melbourne City (Manchester City loanee) central midfielder Anthony Caceres is currently being considered to be loaned to NYCFC".

A-League regular season just wrapped up (Mel City finished 2nd), and they play their playoffs in April. They might just want to shift him to another team in their network to get him more playing time thru the summer.

But again - another international??

A-League regular season just wrapped up (Mel City finished 2nd), and they play their playoffs in April. They might just want to shift him to another team in their network to get him more playing time thru the summer.

Should have space for him once Lampard finds his way to the DL

Reactions: Midas Mulligan

And another central midfielder?

Should have space for him once Lampard finds his way to the DL

Or his contract gets terminated...

Woah, that would be huge. It's honestly the right move, there's no doubt we can bring in a better fit for our team with $6+ million to play with this summer, and Lampard has built zero goodwill here, so few would even blink at his termination.

Melbourne City's season hasn't finished yet. They still have 3 games to go before the end of the league stage, and they're now virtual certainties for the play-offs, which means they'll be playing until May. The A-League season is designed to end right about when the PL and all of the other winter leagues finish, and if Melbourne are in it 'til the end (which they should be) then they've got a little while to go yet.

Can't say I'm enthralled with the idea of Caceres coming, anyway. He was supposed to be a useful player when he went to Melbourne, but he was sent off twice in his first four games and took a while before he put in a good performance. I'm not sure he would do anything more than make up the numbers in New York. The only real advantage about him is that he hasn't really played frequently since January, so he should have the legs to do the extra months required to run all the way to the end of the MLS season.

Reactions: sbrylski
Reactions: Kjbert
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/03/25/kick-usa-canada-world-cup-qualifying-action-tonight

Just an MLS write up I found again talking about the loan from Melborne City. But one word that pissed me off in the whole write up was "Farmed." Maybe it's got a soccer connotation but when I read it, it makes me feel like the man city lite that other teams are trying to make us out to be. I thought MLS would be above that.

The whole Caceres situation is weird, but it definitely wasn't farming. CFG knew he was looking at leaving his old club (also in the A-League) but the A-League's rules are in some ways even more restrictive than MLS - they have free agency, but clubs aren't allowed to buy players off each other like MLS and unlike MLS they can't trade players because the clubs own the player rights, not the league. Player swaps can only be done if both players agree to do so first. Additionally there's no GAM, no drafts and you can't sell international slots etc, so there's basically no incentive to trade players unless the two players are valued equally. For this reason, virtually the only way clubs trade players are by waiting for players to leave their clubs, or by attracting in players who have been playing abroad. It's no coincidence that in the A-League, players tend to sign contracts for between 6 months and 2 years only.

In light of this, CFG wanted Caceres for Melbourne City and he wanted to go to them, but literally the only way that they could do this was by arranging for Manchester City to buy him for a transfer fee and then loan him back to Melbourne. Of course, the rest of the league then protested that this was a bending of the rules, and to be honest they might be right. What was really surprising was that the Australian authorities did nothing to stop it - they have a similar reputation for spur-of-the-moment rule changes as Don Garber has. They did, after all, create the A-League's "Lampard rule", stating that a club can't have both a guest player and a loanee at the same time (to stop Lampard joining Melbourne City while Villa was also there) - if they hadn't made that rule then we would never have had Lampardgate.

So yeah, going back to the original point. Not really a farming at all. Not sure if that makes things better or not though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Jee
The whole Caceres situation is weird, but it definitely wasn't farming. CFG knew he was looking at leaving his old club (also in the A-League) but the A-League's rules are in some ways even more restrictive than MLS - they have free agency, but clubs aren't allowed to buy players off each other like MLS and unlike MLS they can't trade players because the clubs own the player rights, not the league. Player swaps can only be done if both players agree to do so first. Additionally there's no GAM, no drafts and you can't sell international slots etc, so there's basically no incentive to trade players unless the two players are valued equally. For this reason, virtually the only way clubs trade players are by waiting for players to leave their clubs, or by attracting in players who have been playing abroad. It's no coincidence that in the A-League, players tend to sign contracts for between 6 months and 2 years only.

In light of this, CFG wanted Caceres for Melbourne City and he wanted to go to them, but literally the only way that they could do this was by arranging for Manchester City to buy him for a transfer fee and then loan him back to Melbourne. Of course, the rest of the league then protested that this was a bending of the rules, and to be honest they might be right. What was really surprising was that the Australian authorities did nothing to stop it - they have a similar reputation for spur-of-the-moment rule changes as Don Garber has. They did, after all, create the A-League's "Lampard rule", stating that a club can't have both a guest player and a loanee at the same time (to stop Lampard joining Melbourne City while Villa was also there) - if they hadn't made that rule then we would never have had Lampardgate.

So yeah, going back to the original point. Not really a farming at all. Not sure if that makes things better or not though.

Hold up, are you telling me that it's the Australians fault for Lampard coming much, much later than expected? God damnit Iggy Azalea.

Hold up, are you telling me that it's the Australians fault for Lampard coming much, much later than expected? God damnit Iggy Azalea.

I think they're saying the opposite. They didn't let Frank join Villa in Melbourne, which caused him to go to MCFC. Shortly after he scored a goal against Chelsea and stood in MCFC for an extra 3 months on the bench instead of starting here.

I think they're saying the opposite. They didn't let Frank join Villa in Melbourne, which caused him to go to MCFC. Shortly after he scored a goal against Chelsea and stood in MCFC for an extra 3 months on the bench instead of starting here.

Exactly. The Australians prevented Frank from going to Melbourne for the non-MLS months and would be back with Villa for the preseason. He might have also not have been injured too. Fucking Vegemite.

Last edited:
Exactly. The Australians prevented Frank from going to Manchester for the non-MLS months and would be back with Villa for the preseason. He might have also not have been injured too. Fucking Vegemite.
Uh Melbourne. Not Manchester.

All I know from watching this team is maybe Torres would be a good fit and allow Villa to play on the wing ... He's much more dangerous coming in from the left ... Oh also tony Taylor shouldn't touch an MLS field... Hopefully poku khiry and eventually Harrison can prevent this from occurring again but the guy is a glorified juggler / dribble in place youth star

Oh also tony Taylor shouldn't touch an MLS field... Hopefully poku khiry and eventually Harrison can prevent this from occurring again but the guy is a glorified juggler / dribble in place youth star
That just sounds weird to me. Was a little quiet in the Revs game but for the first three he was streaking down the left side and making plays, the way Villa was against the Revs yesterday. Taylor might've felt out of position on the right for the Revs match so we'll see which side he plays on next time but I thought he's been an amazing injection of speed into our lineup at least for the first three matches.

That just sounds weird to me. Was a little quiet in the Revs game but for the first three he was streaking down the left side and making plays, the way Villa was against the Revs yesterday. Taylor might've felt out of position on the right for the Revs match so we'll see which side he plays on next time but I thought he's been an amazing injection of speed into our lineup at least for the first three matches.
+1. Definitely producing more net danger than Khiry and Poku. His end product is not the best but I think he's our best winger right now. We'll see what Harrison's got soon, I hope.