NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

You are right. He didn't and my memory, for once, served me wrong. I am quite sure saw a clip during a Men in Blazers clip in which they were lamenting Mix's golden opportunity missed but I can't recall what match that was. But don't get me wrong, I am net positive on Mix but I believe he lacks the final finish to kill. It's sad in this league we have to fuss about 750k salary. Hope one day 750k is our reserve squad pay.
Dude, I don't begrudge anything here. It's all fun or at worst an outlet.

Unless you compare Mix to Freddy. Then, shit just got real.

and the myth of Mix continues.

What has Mix done in his career to cement the idea that he is this secret talent that needs to play? He was an unknown when Klinsi called him into camp. We've seen flashes of brilliance - but you could say the same about Freddy Adu (who was also on a World Cup roster remember).

He scored the first league goal in NYCFC history. And his hair is amazing. Don't you dare say such terrible things about such a great man.

MIXDISKERUDHATTICK!

Mix had a couple of good games to start the year.

We got our hopes up. He's probably just not as good as we thought he was going to be. Looking back, we were so excited at how well Jacobsen played in Norway. He came here and stunk

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Mix had a couple of good games to start the year.

We got our hopes up. He's probably just not as good as we thought he was going to be. Looking back, we were so excited at how well Jacobsen played in Norway. He came here and stunk
Who? Who the fuck was excited by that? I actually made fun of his inability to play or impact things there.

No one else posted at the time seemed to know who the fuck he was.

Half of the problem is actually persuading players that that's a deal they want to take though. OK, sure, you can argue it's a payday but most players wouldn't be so desperate for the money that they'd put that 6 months on higher wages above the damage it might do to their careers. You're not going to find many players willing to renew on those terms so you've got to find a player who is going to help the team and who only wants to come for 3-4 months. Bear in mind that MLS isn't exactly known for letting players just leave on a free so they could end up stuck getting optioned by clubs they don't want to play for for months afterwards and find it incredibly hard to leave the league to go somewhere they actually want to play again.

Also, as far as I'm aware, most leagues in the world have a 12-month minimum contract length (not including loan deals, of course).
You misunderstood. I'm not suggesting signing a 4 month deal. I mean, let's say we sign a new DP next summer, so July 2017. Typically we would sign that player through let's say December 2019. Why not instead sign him through June 2020?
  • If he is in the middle of a CCL tournament at end of 2019 he gets to see it out.
  • He finishes his DP contract during summer transfer when it is easiest for MLS teams to sign new DPs.
  • He can retire if he wants. Or see out the season on a lower, non-DP deal. Or sign a new multi-year non-DP deal depending on where he is in his career. Or if he played well here - ala Giovinco - he could head back to Europe with a reinvigorated career at the beginning of their season where he has the best chance of integrating into his new club.

Does anyone know the rules about contract length and start/end dates? We know we can sign someone midseason through the end of a season. Can we sign someone with a contract end date of June 30?

Call this the Reverse DP4 contract. Sign a player to DP money with a contract end date that is midseason. Then they can extend for non-DP money through season end or retire as the team brings in a new summer DP. Wouldn't this make sense for the league?

This would
  1. Allow players to see through a CCL campaign that they started.
  2. Increase continuity knowing that most significant DP signings are going to happen in summer.
  3. Enable the clubs to get more star power on the field for longer (ala LAG).
Is this totally impossible?

It's possible but I don't think it makes sense for the player. If they are DP quality, they can probably go make else where and make some money. What LAG did with DeJong is more practical. DeJong signed a non-DP deal that will become a DP deal next season when Gerrard retires if he meets certain playing time benchmarks. The issue with this is that you need to know that the player is retiring for certain or it can get messy.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
You are right. He didn't and my memory, for once, served me wrong. I am quite sure saw a clip during a Men in Blazers clip in which they were lamenting Mix's golden opportunity missed but I can't recall what match that was. But don't get me wrong, I am net positive on Mix but I believe he lacks the final finish to kill. It's sad in this league we have to fuss about 750k salary. Hope one day 750k is our reserve squad pay. Otherwise what's the incentive to be a professional player in the US?
It was probably for us. "Can't miss chance" does not exist for NYCFC.

I apologize. He played in the 2011 Gold Cup. I also thought he played in the 2009 Confed Cup but didn't. My bad

Adu played very well in that Gold Cup. A surprise call up by Bradley and about the only bright spot in a tournament that got the coach fired. The Gold Cup performance was enough to get Freddy back in MLS, but not for long.

Reactions: Kjbert
It was probably for us. "Can't miss chance" does not exist for NYCFC.
m
Yeah, the only real "can't miss chance" that I remember Mix having in any jersey (and I have not watched all of his games, so take that into consideration) was earlier this year for us home against Orlando. Someone played him into the box and his shot went straight at the keeper.

He's done very well in his appearances with the USMNT

Adu partied harder than he trained starting at about 17 (actual age likely 25), ate his way out of first division. No one has ever questioned Mix's dedication.
My old roommate and one of my best friends is from Utah and claims to have boughten beer for Freddy while he was underage and at RSL.

I'm kind of afraid of the same thing happening with Mix. No place for him to play here, moves on to some other team and becomes a leading player.
I think we should keep mix to backup our midfield. Our trio midfield had been 34+ then mix could be a great player for future

It's possible but I don't think it makes sense for the player. If they are DP quality, they can probably go make else where and make some money. What LAG did with DeJong is more practical. DeJong signed a non-DP deal that will become a DP deal next season when Gerrard retires if he meets certain playing time benchmarks. The issue with this is that you need to know that the player is retiring for certain or it can get messy.
I disagree. To me the DeJong doesn't make sense for the player. If he somehow fails to meet requirements he loses his DP payday. That's a huge risk. Or, as you said, if Gerrard tears it up in the second half of the season and decides he has another year left in him ...

Why is the reverse DeJong I'm proposing bad for the player? Keeping in mind my take on this ...
  • If he is in the middle of a CCL tournament at end of 2019 he gets to see it out.
  • He finishes his DP contract during summer transfer when it is easiest for MLS teams to sign new DPs.
  • He can retire if he wants. Or see out the season on a lower, non-DP deal. Or sign a new multi-year non-DP deal depending on where he is in his career. Or if he played well here - ala Giovinco - he could head back to Europe with a reinvigorated career at the beginning of their season where he has the best chance of integrating into his new club.

Teams in sports backload contracts all the time. You can backload contracts without a playing time stipulation.

De Jong's case is unique because he was being benched by AC Milan and was owed millions on his contract. He was able to leverage a huge buyout with Milan, so the biggest thing he wanted was playing time and to live in LA not money.

If I am a player who was a DP making millions, if I am still a quality player what economic incentive do I have to sign that non-DP deal for a hometown discount? Team would have to have zero expectations of that DP resigning.

I think there are pros and cons for signing DPs in the summer window. We would be more likely to get a player on a free transfer, but the downside is that you would likely have a player coming in playing from August to October/November without an offseason and since you don't know who that DP will be that you sign in the summer it would hurt to team build around that mystery player.

I think the advantage of the winter window is that you get the DP for the entire season and you can attempt to pluck unhappy players for a discount from their current club. You potential can get players who neogiate buyouts with their current club to come for non DP salaries like De Jong and Cole did for LA. Any DP transfer fee would also not have cap implications that a non-DP transfer fee would have.

Reactions: adam