Nycfc Purchased "discovery Rights" From La?

Discovery rights are the ridiculous MLS rule that teams can claim "discovery" on foreign players, so if they come to the league either they get t he player or the rights have to be bought from someone. There are probably teams with discovery claims on Messi and ronaldo. Just one of the many laughable rules in MLS.

When you have single entity and you don't want clubs fighting over players you have to have a system. It works (mostly). The fact that MLS still exists and is as strong as it is today is a testament to that strategy.

However the fact that NYCFC gave precious resources to Galaxy for a player they never signed pisses me off.

wow imagine what a team can ask for to give the "discovery" of the greatest player(s) in the world... it seems stupid honestly but i guess if it has been working... but if teams still have to fight to get the rights from the seller what difference does it make?

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Well, the discover rights renew every year and you only get 10 picks.

They said they're going to revamp the rules this coming season and the players are going to push for free agency either this CBA or the next, but change is coming.

wow imagine what a team can ask for to give the "discovery" of the greatest player(s) in the world... it seems stupid honestly but i guess if it has been working... but if teams still have to fight to get the rights from the seller what difference does it make?
It's all about control. The league office wants to control the process and this is how they do it.

Well, the discover rights renew every year and you only get 10 picks.

They said they're going to revamp the rules this coming season and the players are going to push for free agency either this CBA or the next, but change is coming.
ah yes the impending free agency. needs to happen sooner than later.
It's all about control. The league office wants to control the process and this is how they do it.
i always forget about that. everyone wants to control where the cake goes

You gotta remember the system was established when there were 2 or 3 owners that owned all 10 teams less than 20 years ago, I believe there was no TV contract money at all up until about 10 years ago. Maybe even less than that.

So yes, the system is probably outdated now, but in sports terms, this league has moved pretty damn fast on a shoestring budget.

Reactions: Kjbert
How do the picks for discovery work? What is to stop a club from picking the 10 most best and most likely players to be joining the MLS soon?

How do the picks for discovery work? What is to stop a club from picking the 10 most best and most likely players to be joining the MLS soon?
if they can't get them on the roster then the would have to trade the rights to does players away. I would be like have the right to have mike trout on your team if you are the angles but can't find a way to get him up to the pros so you have to give him up or give up something else but at least you are getting something in return

Well fuck me. We could have used that money to pay down a cheaper DPs salary below threshold.

Reactions: Kjbert
I believe NYRB has discovery rights on Gerrard. Which is why he isn't coming here (amongst other reasons)