Nycfc Salary Cap Discussion

MagnusPax

Registered
May 3, 2014
Just some thoughts, others might want to join in.

- we have $788,250 in cap relief from players who will be free agents. That list includes Saunders, Wingert, Hernandez, Ballouchy and Grabavoy.

- we've already been gifted $478,663 in cap relief from players who have moved on, including Calle, Meara, Angelino and Facey.

- that's $1,266,913 in relief if we don't re-sign any of those players (or take them back on loan).

- we still have the problem of all 3 DPs counting for the year (instead of just one) and Mix's bloated $750,000 hit.

I'll post more later, but that's some interesting facts.

- we have $788,250 in cap relief from players who will be free agents. That list includes Saunders, Wingert, Hernandez, Ballouchy and Grabavoy.

Just because they qualify for free agency doesn't mean they are free agents, they also have to be out of contract. So I think this list is pending confirmation.

Also, remember that we likely have a little allocation money to carry over from this year, probably around $100k, plus the allocation money allotment for not making the playoffs, likely around $250k, and the cap is going up $244,300 next year.

I think we have a little bit more money to play with than some people are anticipating. I think we can definitely bring in 3 highly paid starters (but less than DP), and that should go a long way towards patching up this roster.

Don't forget about this stickied thread: http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/salary-cap-mls-rules-and-the-future-oh-my.3461/

This is all good news. Hopefully we have someone competent at the helm to make some adequate transfers without them ending up on the red eye to quito.

Reactions: BEC SPK
We used that TAM. (Target Allocation Money, which brings down salaries to non-DP level).

TAM can only be used in a very specific situation, that is, to buy down one current DP in order to buy a more expensive DP. We haven't had a chance to do that yet. However, we have traded some of our TAM to Galaxy. I don't recall of the top of my head how much, or if it was even disclosed.

Reactions: MagnusPax
Allocation Money will be used to buy Mix some more and we are going to trade some players to get more and maybe sell our TAM cause we can't really use it.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm not sure we want to use all the allocation money to buy down Mix. That's a awful lot. Need at least 300k to buy him down. Is it worth it? Only other option besides selling him is get rid of one the DPs which I don't see.

And yes I'm not sure all those Free Agents are out of contract. But they could be, they might also want to get out with a new coach coming in.

Dude no. From my prior research I know that grabavoy is signed to 2016. That said we don't know most of the contractual details for most of the players.

This kind of discussion is useless without contractual details we simply do not posess.

Dude no. From my prior research I know that grabavoy is signed to 2016. That said we don't know most of the contractual details for most of the players.

This kind of discussion is useless without contractual details we simply do not posess.
Can put a roundabout number on possible available cap just by narrowing it down as we edge closer to the season and make more moves. It's definitely an open ended discussion.

We can at least know that some that are free agents have the possibility of leaving, regardless of when their contracts run out.

The actual out group, the group thats already at $478,663 will grow and it will give us a better picture.

But if anyone learns anything further about allocation amounts, trades or contract dates, it would help our discussion immensely. Thanks.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
TAM can only be used in a very specific situation, that is, to buy down one current DP in order to buy a more expensive DP. We haven't had a chance to do that yet. However, we have traded some of our TAM to Galaxy. I don't recall of the top of my head how much, or if it was even disclosed.
I think we sent 100k to LAG for an international spot to sign Mena. They got 100k elsewhere to buy down Gonzalez to make room for Gio.

Can put a roundabout number on possible available cap just by narrowing it down as we edge closer to the season and make more moves. It's definitely an open ended discussion.

That is a fair assessment. But for right now it's next time useless. We need more time to see how things shake out. I can easily tell you how much people counted against our cap this season, hell I made an entire thread about it.

But for next season, we need some more details before we can have a serious discussion. I mean FFS the amount of danbux you get for failing to make the playoffs isn't commonly known. That figure is a best guess of 250k.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Just remembered something else we need to consider here. The salary of George John will probably be hitting the cap next year assuming his recovery is complete. I just checked the MLS salaries list and he wasn't on there, but I thought I heard somewhere on this forum that he had a $200k salary. Can anyone confirm this?

Reactions: Kjbert
Let's just make this easy on everyone. This is who is on the books for next year. I have only included their maximum cap hit.

Allen, RJ - $60,000
Alvarez, Pablo - $63,045.09
Ballouchy, Mehdi - $83,250
Brandt, Conor - $50,000
Brovsky, Jeb - $129,125
Diskerud, Mix - $436,250
Grabavoy, Ned - $215,000
Hernandez, Jason - $185,000
Iraola, Andoni - $200,004
Jacobsen, Andrew - $150,000
Johansen, Eirik - $50,004
Lampard, Frank - $436,250
McNamara, Tom - $71,500
Mena, Jefferson - $211,400
Mullins, Patrick - $110,000
Pirlo, Andrea - $436,250
Poku, Kwadwo - $63,045.09
Saunders, Josh - $90,000
Shelton, Khiry - $87,500
Taylor, Tony - $84,375
Velasquez, Seba - $60,000
Villa, David - $436,250
Wingert, Chris - $215,000

That's 23 players. I have left Calle, Facey, Meara, Angelino and Watson-Siriboe off of this list. Only the top 20 salaries count against the cap. For my math, I am going to assume that one of Grabavoy/Wingert are released using our annual cap relief clause. You could assume that an Alvarez or Johansen may also be gone, but I won't do that just yet. So, that leaves us with an initial cap total right now of $3,362,154. With the new CBA, the salary cap rises by $217,000 per year.

The Salary Cap for 2016 should be roughly $3,707,000 next year. That leaves us with $344,846 to spend before EDS Loanees or allocation money is considered. It was mentioned before that we could receive about $250,000 of allocation money for missing the playoffs. That leads me to believe that we should have about $600,000 worth of cap flexibility to work with. There will be a first round draft pick to account for, so that is roughly $90,000. From there, we will have to pay for EDS Loanees plus any free agents with the remaining $500,000.

I don't know how much yo ucan really improve this team with $500,000. I think our best hope is to get ONE monster CB signing at a high (MLS) cost.

Let's just make this easy on everyone. This is who is on the books for next year. I have only included their maximum cap hit.

Allen, RJ - $60,000
Alvarez, Pablo - $63,045.09
Ballouchy, Mehdi - $83,250
Brandt, Conor - $50,000
Brovsky, Jeb - $129,125
Diskerud, Mix - $436,250
Grabavoy, Ned - $215,000
Hernandez, Jason - $185,000
Iraola, Andoni - $200,004
Jacobsen, Andrew - $150,000
Johansen, Eirik - $50,004
Lampard, Frank - $436,250
McNamara, Tom - $71,500
Mena, Jefferson - $211,400
Mullins, Patrick - $110,000
Pirlo, Andrea - $436,250
Poku, Kwadwo - $63,045.09
Saunders, Josh - $90,000
Shelton, Khiry - $87,500
Taylor, Tony - $84,375
Velasquez, Seba - $60,000
Villa, David - $436,250
Wingert, Chris - $215,000

That's 23 players. I have left Calle, Facey, Meara, Angelino and Watson-Siriboe off of this list. Only the top 20 salaries count against the cap. For my math, I am going to assume that one of Grabavoy/Wingert are released using our annual cap relief clause. You could assume that an Alvarez or Johansen may also be gone, but I won't do that just yet. So, that leaves us with an initial cap total right now of $3,362,154. With the new CBA, the salary cap rises by $217,000 per year.

The Salary Cap for 2016 should be roughly $3,707,000 next year. That leaves us with $344,846 to spend before EDS Loanees or allocation money is considered. It was mentioned before that we could receive about $250,000 of allocation money for missing the playoffs. That leads me to believe that we should have about $600,000 worth of cap flexibility to work with. There will be a first round draft pick to account for, so that is roughly $90,000. From there, we will have to pay for EDS Loanees plus any free agents with the remaining $500,000.

I don't know how much yo ucan really improve this team with $500,000. I think our best hope is to get ONE monster CB signing at a high (MLS) cost.
Do we know that Kwame is gone, or are we just The Secreting the idea in hopes it comes true? He's still on the official roster, as are Facey and Angelino. Meara is not. Do with that what you will.

Do we have evidence that the people you've listed are under contract for next year? It looks like you've just pasted the 2015 guaranteed compensation list (and adjusted down Mix and the DPs). It's as good a starting place as any, but doesn't support assuming they are all under contract for next year or at what salary

Do we know that Kwame is gone, or are we just The Secreting the idea in hopes it comes true? He's still on the official roster, as are Facey and Angelino. Meara is not. Do with that what you will.

Do we have evidence that the people you've listed are under contract for next year? It looks like you've just pasted the 2015 guaranteed compensation list (and adjusted down Mix and the DPs). It's as good a starting place as any, but doesn't support assuming they are all under contract for next year or at what salary

It has been reported by a couple of sources that Watson-Siriboe is gone.

Yes, I did just copy and paste the roster. The cap hits will always be the cap hit unless we re-sign them after their contracts expire. MLS players sign a total contract with bonus. The total contract value with bonus is then divided by the number of years. It doesn't matter if they get a raise over the lifetime of the contract. If Poku makes $60k, then $70k then $80k then $90k over a 4 year deal, his cap hit is the same in year one as it is in year 4.

Reactions: joe and sbrylski