Nycfc Seeks To Claim Jack Harrison As Homegrown

We'd also need Jack to agree to (1) leave college early and (2) sign with MLS.

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but it's worth a shot for sure. A plus in Reyna's column for proactivity.

I doubt Reyna et al are doing this in a vacuum - a third party intermediary (i.e. coach at Manhattan Soccer Club) would have brought up the idea of a HG contract from NYCFC and gauged Jack's interest to it; this would have to be done in order to keep his NCAA eligibility (if he wanted to stay in school). If no interest from the player in a HG, or if he's focused on Europe, then NYCFC doesn't even go to the league to petition.

So for it to have gotten to the point (EoS writing a blog entry on it), it's beyond the initial stage of due diligence, and that would imply some sort of favorable response was made by Jack. He could easily still reject the HG if MLS isn't keen to splash the bucks on him, but it'd be reasonable to assume he knows a range that's been offered in the past and would be comfortable with pushing forward. Plus MLS would be crazy not to let NYCFC claim him if that's a deal-breaker with keeping him stateside (he could say it's either NYCFC or nothing because it's either playing for his home team, or heading back to the country of his birth, England).

I won't be surprised if he doesn't turn pro, but I will be surprised if MLS doesn't allow him to be HG for NYCFC.

A couple of r/mls posters have said that other clubs have been successfully granted HG claims in similar situations so hopefully it works out for us....he would be a huge get and cap free.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
Post of the week by Ulrich Ulrich here

I read that the claims made by the Sounders on Yedlin weren't any stronger.

If the MLS does not let NYC do this then have Man City sign him and then loan him back to NYCFC. We have to find ways to use the Man City partnership to our advantage.
MLS still has to approve any move. We can't do anything that circumvents the system.

They weren't made into an NYCFC affiliate until a few months before he graduated. If this works, it's a boondoggle -- I'm sure this was meant for a traditional academy system rather than the scattershot current state of the NYCFC affiliates. Their affiliate programs have more than 10,000 players in the tri-state area. Surely the intent of the program is not to let a team claim affiliation with 10,000 players.