NYCFC Social Media Thread

Dude just walked into the training pitch, that's all.
True. But of the players who didn't even acknowledge the cameraman (and there were just a two or three others), he's the only one who seemed unhappy while walking by. It's a small gesture to be sure, but to be honest, I can't remember the last time I saw him smile around the team. He always seems so grim.

Were it a small sample size I wouldn't even mention it. Or if it were just the one time after catching the red, I wouldn't either. But I watch every available clip I can find: every training video, every interview, every promo, not to mention every match from beginning to end, and he just strikes me as being emotionally checked out.

True. But of the players who didn't even acknowledge the cameraman (and there were just a two or three others), he's the only one who seemed unhappy while walking by. It's a small gesture to be sure, but to be honest, I can't remember the last time I saw him smile around the team. He always seems so grim.

Were it a small sample size I wouldn't even mention it. Or if it were just the one time after catching the red, I wouldn't either. But I watch every available clip I can find: every training video, every interview, every promo, not to mention every match from beginning to end, and he just strikes me as being emotionally checked out.

1709911153942.png

Nice, but a still image is even lower on the evidentiary scale than a video clip (which is, admittedly, pretty low to begin with). It just captures a single second. I'm talking about a broader impression.

Which I can be completely wrong about, of course. To begin with, I don't think anyone would have ever described James Sands as a hale fellow well met. He's always been a pretty serious guy, and I don't know that he's ever been comfortable in the limelight, either. It's entirely possible he was just intent on taking care of his business.

I just happened to notice everyone else who'd been with the team for a while knew the camera dude and said hello -- or the camera dude knew them and said hi. James just walked by without looking and the camera dude didn't say anything to him. Maybe I just watch too many reruns of Columbo, but the whole two ships passing in the night thing struck me as odd.

Nice, but a still image is even lower on the evidentiary scale than a video clip (which is, admittedly, pretty low to begin with). It just captures a single second. I'm talking about a broader impression.

Which I can be completely wrong about, of course. To begin with, I don't think anyone would have ever described James Sands as a hale fellow well met. He's always been a pretty serious guy, and I don't know that he's ever been comfortable in the limelight, either. It's entirely possible he was just intent on taking care of his business.

I just happened to notice everyone else who'd been with the team for a while knew the camera dude and said hello -- or the camera dude knew them and said hi. James just walked by without looking and the camera dude didn't say anything to him. Maybe I just watch too many reruns of Columbo, but the whole two ships passing in the night thing struck me as odd.

i've watched every single inside training video and i'm pretty confident he's never even once acknowledged the camera guy. he's all business at training and i don't think that means he's being grim. that's not to say he isn't dealing with some demons. his performances have declined ever since he came back from scotland. he's not the calm, cool, and collected destroyer with some passing game that we grew to love anymore. I'm sure he knows it as well and it bothers him. Hopefully, he can regain that form.

i've watched every single inside training video and i'm pretty confident he's never even once acknowledged the camera guy. he's all business at training and i don't think that means he's being grim. that's not to say he isn't dealing with some demons. his performances have declined ever since he came back from scotland. he's not the calm, cool, and collected destroyer with some passing game that we grew to love anymore. I'm sure he knows it as well and it bothers him. Hopefully, he can regain that form.
I think it is a confidence thing as well. Has a great few years at NYCFC, called up to USMNT, and then gets every US kid's dream of a move to Europe to presumably jumpstart a career. Gets to Europe but presumably doesn't get a full chance to showcase his skillset due to being played out of position and amidst a coaching change, never gets a fair shake. Doesn't make it in Europe and is shipped back home to a team functioning at half of it's level when compared to the first few years of his career. He needs to buckle up and work hard to get over the hump, but a period of sadness and lack of confidence in the wake of the European failure are to be expected. Hoping he can shake it off now that it's been a year and find the old Jimmy "YERRRRR" Sands we came to love.

You have to also remember the club is in a sorry state at the moment. Missed the playoffs, the game we're playing is quite awful to watch. I wouldn't expect anyone to be super chipper in that scenario. I would bet all the money in my wallet rn (it's like $20 shhhh) that if we won the first two games of the season and were playing fun stuff, we'd see vastly different reactions.

I think it is a confidence thing as well. Has a great few years at NYCFC, called up to USMNT, and then gets every US kid's dream of a move to Europe to presumably jumpstart a career. Gets to Europe but presumably doesn't get a full chance to showcase his skillset due to being played out of position and amidst a coaching change, never gets a fair shake. Doesn't make it in Europe and is shipped back home to a team functioning at half of it's level when compared to the first few years of his career. He needs to buckle up and work hard to get over the hump, but a period of sadness and lack of confidence in the wake of the European failure are to be expected. Hoping he can shake it off now that it's been a year and find the old Jimmy "YERRRRR" Sands we came to love.

this is what i meant by demons. frustration and lacking confidence. his ability hasn't just disappeared. he's got the soccer yips. he needs to get his swagger back. the ice cold sands who steps up to the PK spot and smashes it, then trash talks the keeper. haha

You have to also remember the club is in a sorry state at the moment. Missed the playoffs, the game we're playing is quite awful to watch. I wouldn't expect anyone to be super chipper in that scenario. I would bet all the money in my wallet rn (it's like $20 shhhh) that if we won the first two games of the season and were playing fun stuff, we'd see vastly different reactions.

betting "all the money" has less meaning when the amount is the opposite of a large sum :D :D but yes, I agree.

When NYCFC first made the "New York City FC" rebrand, they changed their Twitter/X name but not their handle. That changed recently. As a result, 10 years of tweets tagging @NYCFC are now tagging a dead end. Also, Fan Services is not only still under @NYCFCHelp, but their profile tags @NYCFC, which leads to a dead page, and they link to nycfc.com, which at least redirects to the new official domain.
Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 11.11.58 AM.png

When NYCFC first made the "New York City FC" rebrand, they changed their Twitter/X name but not their handle. That changed recently. As a result, 10 years of tweets tagging @NYCFC are now tagging a dead end. Also, Fan Services is not only still under @NYCFCHelp, but their profile tags @NYCFC, which leads to a dead page, and they link to nycfc.com, which at least redirects to the new official domain.
View attachment 13232

They must read this forum because that has already been fixed 50 minutes after you posted about it. It now links to the new Twitter handle.

good video... especially at 1:46. always nice to see!

It feels surprising how fast Maxi seems to be recovering. I wonder how early this summer we see him. Heber took 12 months to recover from his torn ACL, but it certainly is looking like Maxi will be faster than that. Could we see him by June?

It feels surprising how fast Maxi seems to be recovering. I wonder how early this summer we see him. Heber took 12 months to recover from his torn ACL, but it certainly is looking like Maxi will be faster than that. Could we see him by June?

the sooner the better, but obviously, i wouldn't want them to rush it and i don't think they will. just having him on the bench would be a great benefit with his experience.

we don't know the extent of maxi's injury in comparison to heber's. heber's may have been a lot worse. we haven't been getting many updates on maxi's injury either in the form of video updates of his recovery, etc.

it would be nice to see him in june, but i think it'd be perfectly fine to see him slowly get some time in leagues cup since it's a throwaway tournament and a good time for him to get some minutes.