NYCFC v Columbus - Postmatch

The problem with your formation is that we have to either play 3 at the back or bench Mix.
Mix won't get benched because he's the most complete midfielder. The formation or personnel will have to be adjusted to keep him in.

In the first half, Columbus was tearing us apart with the diagonal balls wide and deep. We were trying to play a high line without putting any pressure on the ball.

I'm the second half we dealt a little better when Columbus had settled possession but we gave up a lot of the ball after moving as a team deep into their half, which left us open to counter attacks. What I saw was that our wingers weren't timing their runs effectively enough to give us options, so play constantly broke down with our wing backs and shuttlers pushed high up the pitch.

We're getting zero out of our wingers right now, and I don't think it's a matter of changing the formation. It's timing, chemistry, running generously enough to give people the ability to pass with their first or second touch instead of forcing them to turn back and shuffle it back to our defenders. We're doing a good job of getting the ball to the final third though. I honestly think that if we can solve that problem, we will start picking up a lot of points.

Things are starting to look good in other parts of the pitch – I thought Iraola showed a lot of quality and composure in possession and Poku looked up for it when he came on. Brillant continues to put in solid, assured performances, too. I'm not sure why I'm so optimistic after all of the chances we gave up tonight, but I do feel like we're just a couple of problem spots away from being a consistently threatening team.

We seem to all agree that bravo needs to be in with Pirlo. And we all also want to see Poku in a CAM position. How about scrap the 433 and go 4231?

Villa
TMac - Poku - mix
Bravo - Pirlo
Mata - Hernandez - brilliant - Iraola
LURCH

I'm not sure why I'm so optimistic after all of the chances we gave up tonight, but I do feel like we're just a couple of problem spots away from being a consistently threatening team.

I was talking with people at the watch party and I notice an unintentional culture developing around this club. It HAS to be nipped in the bud quickly! There is an aura around the club, from business to sporting, of things almost being there but not working all the time. Way too many "small" errors that are having a big effect on the identity of this organization. It's maddening to watch.

The main issue over the last few games for me seems mostly tactical. The personal available aren't the best. But Vieira hasn't helped himself either since switching from the back three. A midfield three of Pirlo, Mix, and T-Mac is never going to work. It doesn't even work in Football Manager. The only way to have a hope of it working is by playing with an extra CB since the defense is going to be more exposed.

Also playing this super high line every game hasn't exactly been great for us either.

Reactions: Acupofbeans
Just had the misfortune of watching the full game.
From a tactically defensive point of view, we were shambolic.
Veira shouldve recognised the inviting left flank, more than a few warnings.
Didn't see anything positive.
We're repeating the same errors (in play and tactical).
The big question is: "does anyone at Nyc have what it takes to resolve and improve.

I was talking with people at the watch party and I notice an unintentional culture developing around this club. It HAS to be nipped in the bud quickly! There is an aura around the club, from business to sporting, of things almost being there but not working all the time. Way too many "small" errors that are having a big effect on the identity of this organization. It's maddening to watch.
43 points in 40 games will do that.

Just for the sake of argument, if this were 2020 and we were here discussing Atlanta in their second season, say, would we all be as hard on the team as we are on ours? It's still early on in only our second season, and while we're not great we're still more or less decent so far, especially given that we have a lot of new players and a new first-year coach. If Mendoza could've gotten a few centering passes through perhaps, or if our defense played back far enough so we didn't get constantly smoked on counters it might have been a very different result.

So yes, there are lots of small errors, but small errors are more easily fixable than huge holes. My point is that we're not doing that bad considering it's early in our second year, and without too much work we can be doing way better. It's not like we're New Jersey in last place, which would be much more worrisome.

Not sure it's time to panic yet. Although feel free if you want to.

If Unkle refs another game this year, it'll be too soon. There's no question he was a home-town ref with the lack of calls going NyCFC's way, and I partially wonder if it was retribution for Mata cleaning-out the legs of the linesman? But for him to send off the wrong CLB defender with the Red was un defendable. And then not giving enough added time to make up for the CLB player taking 90sec during added time was a joke - he extended it only 30secs, and yet we were driving on them (finally).

PRO refs are just so inadequate to handle these games - it's like they were pulled from U-14 games last week and asked if they were free Saturday night.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
A lot of issues with this team, Bravo needs to play he really provides a defensive presence and protection for pirlo, Mix needs to sit very overrated he has good skill but very little heart , disappears from games and rarely has a positive impact on the game, has a very difficult time filing the gaps on defense.

Poku needs to start and should play up front to provide another scorer lessen his defensive responsibilities and you will get better results.

Mendoza needs to sit can't dribble when coverage gets tight and has poor decision making. Play Shelton in his spot don't love Shelton but he brings in good speed and better decision making.

Taylor also needs to sit he is a sub at best.

Tmac is a nice player but I believe he is more of a sub that can bring energy to the team.

Saunders has regressed this year, Viera wants to play out of the back (sweeper/keeper) Saunders can't not play thT role his is awful with his feet.

The results have not been good but at least this team is competitive in games , I guess we need to suffer through more growing pains.

Reactions: roxfontaine