Nycfc V Toronto Motm And Postgame

Overall I had a great time and would definitely go back, pending NYCFC don't play some asshole team like DC/Philly. I'm not interested in becoming an NYCFC fan but for neutrals who are looking for just some live soccer to watch, I thought the whole experience was positive

You forgot Red Bull!!! I kid!! I kid!!!

Nice report. I think a vast majority of both fan bases just want to have some fun banter and not get too personal. Cosmos fans on the other hand......... o_Oo_O

This post is a nice start. Welcome!

I said before the game that I didn't mind missing Frank as much because Iraola would debut, and he could have an even bigger impact on the team because he is such an upgrade at the position. After today, and even with that 2nd half giveaway, I still think so.

I do have some concern over fielding two wings that are that attack minded with such poor center backs.

Reactions: Kjbert
Thoughts about the game from a die-hard Red Bulls fan who picked up a last-minute ticket today just for the enjoyment of watching some live soccer. This was the first time I have attended a soccer game at Yankee Stadium...

- For all the talk about how bad Yankee Stadium is for soccer, from my seats behind the goal on the first base side, I didn't think it was that bad at all. Sure the infield being visible under the sod isn't pretty (and lets be honest no one thinks it is), but I never felt once during the game that the being in a baseball stadium really took a lot away from it. I'm sure if I sat behind home plate though I would have a different opinion.

- The field is small, but I felt like because of that, more of the play was spent near the goals and not near the midfield. And that's a good thing. Nobody pays to see guys kick the ball around the midfield.

- Villa and Giovinco -- what performances. It's amazing to think how entertaining these guys are for just being in the league for a couple months. Every time they touched the ball it was exciting. Villa is clearly a fan favorite in the same way Red Bulls fans adore Henry. A euro star who is kind of like an ambassador for the team. I could tell how much the fans liked Villa. People were chanting his name all game.

- The leather-y seats are nice and comfy and are much better than hard back chairs, but the heat today made them uncomfortable if you were in the sun.

- The supporters section today just didn't work. Maybe it was the heat, but I felt like after the 12th minute the intensity really died down and I couldn't make out most of the chants coming from the supporters for the rest of the game. I saw a lot of people just standing around doing nothing. And city beats certainly didn't help. Once they starting playing (never in sync with the supporters), you couldn't hear the supporters at all. CFG should make city beats a pre-game/halftime/post-game thing or tell them to drum in sync with the supporter section chants. But as a standalone it doesn't work.

Maybe it would help if the capos (are there capos?) spent a game or two at the other end of field to hear how the sound travels. I would focus first on making the chants articulate. Then second on making sure everyone knows them so you can build up the volume. And finding a way to deal with city beats.

- The crowd size looked like a Red Bulls crowd but since there are fewer sections along the side of the field, it gives off the illusion of being jam packed. Honestly though I think the crowd thing is played up too much among fan bases. Who cares what the attendance is? Sure everyone would like a rocking stadium but if you asked a random 10 fans if they would rather have a better team or a bigger crowd, all 10 would say better team. Nobody goes to DC United games but I bet their fans don't care what people say about them -- they are far ahead in the east standings.

Overall I had a great time and would definitely go back, pending NYCFC don't play some asshole team like DC/Philly. I'm not interested in becoming an NYCFC fan but for neutrals who are looking for just some live soccer to watch, I thought the whole experience was positive.
Thanks for coming by and posting this.honest and fair.

Iraola looked out of sorts but he had virtually no support down the right flank. He kept looking for that first time ball down the line and a 1-2 into overlap / overload heaven and Ballouchy just wasn't thinking quickly enough. I'm looking forward to seeing him build an understanding with whoever ends up on the right. Let's hope they can play a wall pass.

Most teams that play with aggressive full backs will have the CDM drop in between the back two to make what is essentially a back 3 when going forward. Didn't see Jacobsen doing anything of the sort. Coaching issue or player issue?

Somebody mentioned that midfield wasn't the problem today but I don't think any of those balls through to Giovinco or (the guy who crossed it for his third) makes it with adequate pressing. I often have a hard time figuring out what kind of player Mix is, but he runs his balls off in midfield and gives people very little time to pick those passes out. Not nearly enough of that today. Not sure where it will come from when we're playing with Pirlo and Lampard either. Mix as a midfield destroyer? Maybe we'll just rely on never losing the ball.

Angelino didn't put a foot wrong. Fucking immaculate. We have a player.

That's my issue. How can some of our guys be so dense? And I don't mean rookies or n00bs to MLS, I'm talking about the folks whose respective penii are permanent residents of Kreis throat.

I'm sorry but it only points to either Kreis doesn't have control of the team or doesn't know how to prepare them. The top guys don't need coaching but these lower level guys look clueless. I find it funny how he is talking about how Gio was allowed to run wild...like he doesn't have anything to do with it?!

Iraola looked out of sorts but he had virtually no support down the right flank. He kept looking for that first time ball down the line and a 1-2 into overlap / overload heaven and Ballouchy just wasn't thinking quickly enough. I'm looking forward to seeing him build an understanding with whoever ends up on the right. Let's hope they can play a wall pass.

Most teams that play with aggressive full backs will have the CDM drop in between the back two to make what is essentially a back 3 when going forward. Didn't see Jacobsen doing anything of the sort. Coaching issue or player issue?

Somebody mentioned that midfield wasn't the problem today but I don't think any of those balls through to Giovinco or (the guy who crossed it for his third) makes it with adequate pressing. I often have a hard time figuring out what kind of player Mix is, but he runs his balls off in midfield and gives people very little time to pick those passes out. Not nearly enough of that today. Not sure where it will come from when we're playing with Pirlo and Lampard either. Mix as a midfield destroyer? Maybe we'll just rely on never losing the ball.

Angelino didn't put a foot wrong. Fucking immaculate. We have a player.

Our midfield isn't capable of playing to the caliber of Iraola and Angelino. Thank god Pirlo is coming to anchor that.

While it wasn't a great or even really satisfactory performance I'm glad I didn't miss this it was a spectacle. Thought about skipping because I wasn't feeling good in the morning glad I didn't. Entertaining if frustrating.

Kwame is the worst player on the team no argument and that's impressive since we have a lot of dross.

I don't think Wingert is good but he did make a crucial tackle that was a key play in us holding on to one point from this.

I do think Poku is good and want him to get playing time but at times we as a fan base have the rose tinted glasses on for the guy. I think he made some very poor decisions with the ball today.

Villa just on fire. Yes he did miss a chance or two but can't fault 8 goals in the last 7 believe. Would think he'll only get better once Pirlo and Lampard are in support.

Angelino was Impressive can't of asked for anything more. Iraola was good but not perfect. Would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that his weak moments came from rust and having to cover for some crap players surrounding him. I expect big things from him too and Pirlo in front of him and a better player than Kwame in center beside him (a scarecrow might manage that) and I'm excited for him going forward.

Please sign Tefu or another actual professional center back

Had a few Italians a few rows in front of me who seemingly came out just to cheer Giovinco. Found this irritating. If your a Toronto fan fair play to you still annoying but I get it but listening to these guys presumably NY locals after his goals got up my nose a bit.

The supporters section has been average all year.

Yeah I agree. For all the hoopla surrounding this team...it's been a disappointment. It'll get better as everyone becomes more emotionally invested in this team.

Reactions: Kjbert
Yeah I agree. For all the hoopla surrounding this team...it's been a disappointment. It'll get better as everyone becomes more emotionally invested in this team.
It'll get better the day we DONT sing hey baby to open a match. You'd think this far in people would know whether or not others are NYC and wouldn't have to ask every week.

I missed the game for my mom's 86th birthday.
What was our back line's excuse?
</rimshot>
I read the comments and thought KWS couldn't be as bad as everyone said.
Watched the DVR. Wow. He was.
Not much to add at this point to everyone's substantive comments so just a couple of side points.
I disagree with what many said and our second goal was an own goal. Mullins deserved credit just for out-hustling 3 TFC players who had position and a better angle than him, but the deflection took a cross that wasn't going towards the goal and put it on goal. That's an own goal.
The universe made up for it with Creavalle's horrible, no good, terrible, really bad clearing attempt straight to Mullins's noggin, which he duly put in.
And KWS sucked. Just in case nobody noticed.