Nycfc's Usl Pro Affiliate Will Be Wilmington Hammerheads Fc

Let's revive this thread.

The team wants a NYC2 but realistically is looking at another year of affiliation.

Wilmington and Harrisburg appear to be the top candidates.
Oh FFS !!! Sure, let's just be affiliated with teams that have no allegiance to us when what we need is a place to warehouse promising talent while getting them meaningful minutes..... For an organization with supposedly unlimited funding, starting a reserve team for NYCFC..... uh..... the official reserve team seems like a no-brainer....

Oh FFS !!! Sure, let's just be affiliated with teams that have no allegiance to us when what we need is a place to warehouse promising talent while getting them meaningful minutes..... For an organization with supposedly unlimited funding, starting a reserve team for NYCFC..... uh..... the official reserve team seems like a no-brainer....

My guess is that CFG wants the USL team to be based in NYC too, but the very same stadium problems affecting the first team are making operating a USL side impractical.

Yeah, it's kind of off-putting how slowly they're building the NYCFC-specific infrastructure. A USL team is not that big of an investment, really, if you find the right market with an existing venue to play in somewhere on the east coast.

If we are going to build our infrastructure from the 13-year-old's up, we are just going to be CFG's pet project for 7-10 years before we are truly a stand alone, fully functioning organization. I can understand a slow build, but it shouldn't need to be that slow.

Yeah, it's kind of off-putting how slowly they're building the NYCFC-specific infrastructure. A USL team is not that big of an investment, really, if you find the right market with an existing venue to play in somewhere on the east coast.

If we are going to build our infrastructure from the 13-year-old's up, we are just going to be CFG's pet project for 7-10 years before we are truly a stand alone, fully functioning organization. I can understand a slow build, but it shouldn't need to be that slow.
Is it possible that the space in upper Bronx that seems to be a possible practice facility/academy spot discussed recently in the stadium thread could provide a venue with a few thousand seats for (a) an affiliate club and (b) an affiliated women's club?

just use the soccer field in columbia in inwood, or is it not the correct dimensions? ive played there for company team, albeit its 8v8 and we use half the field.

though i think its more to the fact that we dont even half a full roster for the first team much less have enough players for a NYC2 team.

just use the soccer field in columbia in inwood, or is it not the correct dimensions? ive played there for company team, albeit its 8v8 and we use half the field.

though i think its more to the fact that we dont even half a full roster for the first team much less have enough players for a NYC2 team.

Didn't NYCFC having any sort of involvement whatsoever in Columbia get vetoed by some NIMBY committee or other?

Reactions: Kjbert
Didn't NYCFC having any sort of involvement whatsoever in Columbia get vetoed by some NIMBY committee or other?
The only info on the Columbia route was the initial NY Times (?) piece reporting that it was a possibility and then the local political figure rebutting it saying they were never brought in to the discussions. If anything is happening there - positive or negative - it's all under wraps, and there hasn't been any sort of NIMBY meetings other than the initial reader comments section of the Times when the initial piece was published.

i think that was to renovate the football stadium....i was just throwing an idea out there to use the soccer field ( which is next to the football stadium) for their USL team, i mean heck montreal and toronto reserves dont play in stadiums i dont think...its usually just in their training facilities.

i think that was to renovate the football stadium....i was just throwing an idea out there to use the soccer field ( which is next to the football stadium) for their USL team, i mean heck montreal and toronto reserves dont play in stadiums i dont think...its usually just in their training facilities.
The problem with that is the USL is lining itself up to be Div II (which NYCFC II would be a member of) and as such has minimum stadium standards that have to be met. I have no idea if Columbia's soccer stadium fits the bill, but I doubt it does, and more importantly, there would be no beer sales there which for a lower division Pro soccer team is the only way watching is possible.

The problem with that is the USL is lining itself up to be Div II (which NYCFC II would be a member of) and as such has minimum stadium standards that have to be met. I have no idea if Columbia's soccer stadium fits the bill, but I doubt it does, and more importantly, there would be no beer sales there which for a lower division Pro soccer team is the only way watching is possible.

then were never getting an USL team, since there is no stadium around to host

We need an arena that seats at least 1000 to meet current D3 USL standards, but the USL is looking to move up to D2 so that would increase the arena requirement to 5k. A field with 1k seats would be easy at any training facility that we make with just simple bleachers.

NYRBII were suppose to use Columbia but there was some type of conflict about facility usage. The soccer stadium is also only 3.5k so it would have been to expanded eventually.

What are the MLS rules or CFG's intent on affiliates? Do we need to establish an NASL team as well being that is the second tier?
Tiers don't really matter. NASL is very antagonistic with MLS so I don't think they would allow an MLS affiliate. USL is going to move up eventually to D2 anyway. Most of the very well run teams directly own an affiliate in the USL. Some even have U23 squads in the PDL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and Taurus
5k for DII. 1k for DIII. Columbia soccer stadium is at 3.5k so it would be fine for now, but need to expand in the future.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
We need an arena that seats at least 1000 to meet current D3 USL standards, but the USL is looking to move up to D2 so that would increase the arena requirement to 5k. A field with 1k seats would be easy at any training facility that we make with just simple bleachers.

NYRBII were suppose to use Columbia but there was some type of conflict about facility usage. The soccer stadium is also only 3.5k so it would have been to expanded eventually.

Would NYCFC2 even fill more than 3,500 fans per game consistently to merit the need to expand to 5K?

Would NYCFC2 even fill more than 3,500 fans per game consistently to merit the need to expand to 5K?
It's not an issue of actual attendance but if USL wants D2 status teams need to have arenas that seat at least 5k. I would imagine that a USOC game against an MLS team or a rivalry game against Red Bulls II would sell well.

Reactions: Paul and FootyLovin
I still would like to see an "off-site" Academy/Training Facility. I think the ideas being thrown around of a permanent site in White Plains/Stamford were good ones for a variety of reasons.

Reactions: Konrad
If NYCFC is looking into that Bronx catholic high school for land it will probably be used for a training center and they'll throw a 5K stadium in there for NYCFC2 (USL) and possible NYCWFC (NWSL).