Official 2016 Nycfc Roster Discussion Thread

anchorman.jpg

Based on the wording, it does not appear as though any contract was bought out.... all moves were either an expiration of a contract or a decline/exercised option.

So is it being saved for John, a DP, or just being kept in the back pocket to clean up a future mistake ????

Well....kinda. What NYCFC Nation is saying there is somewhat true when it comes to straight salaries being dropped. But you have to remember we are now taking full DP hits for Lampard and Pirlo. Also not sure if our cap hits increase for Mena/Iraola.

Right. Plus, we are probably getting less in allocation money this year than we did last year as an expansion team.

DEPTH CHART FOR 2016
(players listed at most natural position even if they could/would be moved to others)

Forward: Villa, Mullins, Shelton, Taylor
Left Mid:
Center Mid: Lampard, Mix, Poku, McNamara
Right Mid: Ballouchy
Defensive Mid: Pirlo, Jacobson
Left Back: Wingert, Brandt
Center Back: Hernandez, Mena
Right Back: Iraola, Allen
Goalie: Saunders, Johansen

Last edited:
DEPTH CHART FOR 2016
(players listed at most natural position even if they could/would be moved to others)

Forward: Villa, Mullins, Shelton, Taylor
Left Mid:
Center Mid: Lampard, Mix, Poku, McNamara
Right Mid: Ballouchy
Defensive Mid: Pirlo, Jacobson
Left Back: Wingert
Center Back: Hernandez, Mena, Brandt
Right Back: Iraola, Allen
Thankfully no GK on the team.... they're playing Last Man Back

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH

they can use $250K to buy down Mix and then go to town

Not that easy. Some of the salary "cleared" may not have counted against the cap anyway (if the player was not one of the 20 highest paid), and some portion of that amount "cleared" may have been above the cap that was paid down with allocation money. I think the number is closer to $200k after a buy-down of Mix, conservatively.

Reactions: Kjbert
Our priority should be signing a couple of no-nonsense center halfs and another full back. Basically a new defence.

Still think Mena is too expensive for someone that might know how to play football some day. Hopefully he steps his game up next season.

Reactions: Kjbert
Ballouchy's option could have also been declined, but the savings wouldn't have been so much that I would complain about this one.
I think at 83k Ballouchy is a great value in MLS. He played pretty well towards the mid-point of the season and I think is a very good option as a spot starter or substitute. It's tough to build a solid bench, and when you can get a guy like Mehdi at that kind of salary you keep him every time.

I think at 83k Ballouchy is a great value in MLS. He played pretty well towards the mid-point of the season and I think is a very good option as a spot starter or substitute. It's tough to build a solid bench, and when you can get a guy like Mehdi at that kind of salary you keep him every time.
People seem to forget that Ballouchy had 3 goals very early on in the season, more than anyone else including Villa at that point. He's very good for his salary.