Official 2016 Nycfc Roster Discussion Thread

Ballouchy provides great value. Not as much as a guy like Poku or McNamara currently, but is great value for his experience and ability.

What happens if any of the guys that were let go don't get picked up by another team? Can they return to NYCFC with cheaper contracts?

Reactions: Kjbert
What happens if any of the guys that were let go don't get picked up by another team? Can they return to NYCFC with cheaper contracts?
It's MLS so roster rules are somewhat secret and frequently change. However, if I remember quickly, people who go through the re-entry process can either get selected by another team or the same team. They go to a two-stage draft. In the first stage, any players picked get their contract picked up by the team that drafts them. Players who do not get picked in the first stage (which is usually almost all of them) then go to the second stage of the draft. If they get picked in the second round, the team which selected them can negotiate a new salary within a few days or release them if they can't come to terms. (Edit: That was mostly right but it's a bit more complicated than that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Re-Entry_Draft)
That's my recollection of the re-entry process. As far as the loanee's who got sent back, obviously that's up to the clubs, but I highly doubt any of the non-CFG players return. Seba's contract expired and Grabavoy is a free-agent, so I am unsure what happens with them, but it does not appear they will be in the re-entry process according the clubs press release. My assumption is that we still own their MLS rights, so we can negotiate new contracts with them or trade their rights away for either allocation money, discovery rights, or draft picks.

Last edited:
Not until I see Wingert cut too. When that happens, I will be happy.

Chris Wingert won't be cut. Aside from his play on the field, he's an ambassador to the club. Look at any event that NYCFC does in the city, he's there. Why? Because he's a city kid.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
People seem to forget that Ballouchy had 3 goals very early on in the season, more than anyone else including Villa at that point. He's very good for his salary.

Felt like he was largely terrible in those early games, he'd give the ball away for 45 minutes and then score an absolute peach out of nowhere. Improved a lot in mid-season, but the goals did dry up. Think you can make a decent argument for keeping him on the team at that cost.

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
I was probably mostly shocked this season that Taylor hurt himself on the outfield as opposed to the sod on the infield.

Reactions: JCMore
Felt like he was largely terrible in those early games, he'd give the ball away for 45 minutes and then score an absolute peach out of nowhere. Improved a lot in mid-season, but the goals did dry up. Think you can make a decent argument for keeping him on the team at that cost.
There is certainly a spot for Ballouchy on our team at that low salary. The guy is good with the ball at his feet, keeping possession and sometimes scores some goals. I will take that for that amount any day.

Reactions: Ulrich and Kjbert
Why do you say that? He seemed a fit to play alongside Villa before his injury. Why would it be absurd to play him this year if he proves he's capable again

You know who else looked good to me in preseason? Grabavoy.

Honestly, the only thing I remember about Taylor is his strike against Jacksonville in our preseason game, and we all got a little bit excited. The sample we have to go off for Taylor is so small, he's still a complete wildcard. I sure hope he's not penciled in for a big role.

Reactions: Kjbert
I think at 83k Ballouchy is a great value in MLS. He played pretty well towards the mid-point of the season and I think is a very good option as a spot starter or substitute. It's tough to build a solid bench, and when you can get a guy like Mehdi at that kind of salary you keep him every time.
Totally agree! Ballouchy is one of those players that will do the hard work and play his heart out knowing he's not the focus of the team.... and yet it was so satisfying to see him score some big goals and get the recognition from them. Give me a bench of 11 guys with his mentality and the team will be tough to beat week in and week out.