Official: Nycfc Signs Andoni Iraola

I've never really seen him play that much, but I always had him as my RB in FUT and he's a monster both defensively and offensively. Surprisingly good shoot and a good free kick taker if you need him to take them

Remember he is only due 1/2 year wages. He could make 250k the last few months.

Greetings from Bilbao!

We are sad to see our captain leave us. But he wanted to leave top flight competition and have some new experiences while he was still young(ish). His departure has left a big hole on our RB that we will need to fix this summer, and will be hard to do so, no one of his quality in our youth teams nor in our market.

He can play as a RW, but his main position troughout all his seasons with us is RB. On a 352 he can play all along the right side of the pitch. He is not the quickest, but has good pace and good stamina. Level headed and very mature, has never been prone to partying (I suppose now even less with some months old daughter in tow).

He is not a prolific goalscorer, but every year he can add some to his tally, while assisting other players. With a target man his crosses are dangerous. He can also take penalty kicks, faults and corners if needed. True captain on the field, he can help the defensive line's less experienced players (we are a team focused on youth development, so every year we have some hotheads on our team who need veteran imput). He is a good defender, while not accruing many bookings.

I know nothing about MLS's economic rules and designated players and so, so can't help you there. But I doubt his wages are high. He had the chance of continuing here with us if he wanted to (I suppose we pay better than american teams), and some rumours of Arab money were heard trough the city. But it was clear he wanted to hit the states some months back, and people were talking about him taking English classes so he could go there.

So enjoy his last years. Don't know how he will get used to your football and to your team, but be sure he will give his all as he has always done. Good luck!

Greetings from Bilbao!

We are sad to see our captain leave us. But he wanted to leave top flight competition and have some new experiences while he was still young(ish). His departure has left a big hole on our RB that we will need to fix this summer, and will be hard to do so, no one of his quality in our youth teams nor in our market.

He can play as a RW, but his main position troughout all his seasons with us is RB. On a 352 he can play all along the right side of the pitch. He is not the quickest, but has good pace and good stamina. Level headed and very mature, has never been prone to partying (I suppose now even less with some months old daughter in tow).

He is not a prolific goalscorer, but every year he can add some to his tally, while assisting other players. With a target man his crosses are dangerous. He can also take penalty kicks, faults and corners if needed. True captain on the field, he can help the defensive line's less experienced players (we are a team focused on youth development, so every year we have some hotheads on our team who need veteran imput). He is a good defender, while not accruing many bookings.

I know nothing about MLS's economic rules and designated players and so, so can't help you there. But I doubt his wages are high. He had the chance of continuing here with us if he wanted to (I suppose we pay better than american teams), and some rumours of Arab money were heard trough the city. But it was clear he wanted to hit the states some months back, and people were talking about him taking English classes so he could go there.

So enjoy his last years. Don't know how he will get used to your football and to your team, but be sure he will give his all as he has always done. Good luck!

Sounds promising indeed...

3-5-2

K kosarev could he play in the back of the 3-5-2 or were you thinking as a Right Wing Back?

Thank you for your input!

3-5-2

K kosarev could he play in the back of the 3-5-2 or were you thinking as a Right Wing Back?

Thank you for your input!

Always on the wing. He is too small to play as a centre back, at least against high level competition. Don't know about the quality of the strikers there, but Drogba for example would eat him for breakfast. On a 352 he would play as RM, using all the wing. Will help the defence, never been one to shy from defensive assignments, even if asked to focus on the offense many times. No lazy player.

Some things I forgot to add. He hasn't had any kind of serious injury I can remember. So no broken bones nor any ligament issues. Some muscular injuries from time to time, but expected. Not many matches lost due to that.

Lastly, he has good touch. Don't know about your CB or your midfield, so I don't know who begins the play from your back. But he can help there. Eager passer, last years he has been tasked with helping our CBs with more finesse like Javi Martinez and Laporte with the task of moving the ball forward towards the midfield. Pair him with a combinative player on the wing and he will help enourmously. Give him a knuclehead mate and he won't be of much use.

If i hear anything about the contract he has signed I will tell you. Always fun reading american sports forums, discussing cap issues, guaranteed contracts, matching salaries etc. We arent used to that here :-D Just so you know, his wages here were aproximately of 2 million Euros approx (the individual numbers aren't public, we have to guesstimate from overall squad numbers). You will be paying him way less, I'm sure.

Always on the wing. He is too small to play as a centre back, at least against high level competition. Don't know about the quality of the strikers there, but Drogba for example would eat him for breakfast. On a 352 he would play as RM, using all the wing. Will help the defence, never been one to shy from defensive assignments, even if asked to focus on the offense many times. No lazy player.

Some things I forgot to add. He hasn't had any kind of serious injury I can remember. So no broken bones nor any ligament issues. Some muscular injuries from time to time, but expected. Not many matches lost due to that.

Lastly, he has good touch. Don't know about your CB or your midfield, so I don't know who begins the play from your back. But he can help there. Eager passer, last years he has been tasked with helping our CBs with more finesse like Javi Martinez and Laporte with the task of moving the ball forward towards the midfield. Pair him with a combinative player on the wing and he will help enourmously. Give him a knuclehead mate and he won't be of much use.

If i hear anything about the contract he has signed I will tell you. Always fun reading american sports forums, discussing cap issues, guaranteed contracts, matching salaries etc. We arent used to that here :-D Just so you know, his wages here were aproximately of 2 million Euros approx (the individual numbers aren't public, we have to guesstimate from overall squad numbers). You will be paying him way less, I'm sure.

What formation did Athletic play this year? 4-4-2? 4-2-3-1? From reading your posts, it soudns like he played a traditional RB role in a 4 man back, but had the freedom to push up the field? Thank you.

I've never even heard of this guy, but everything seems to point towards him being a very quality signing. Hopefully he's as good of a player as some of you guys on this thread have made him sound.

What formation did Athletic play this year? 4-4-2? 4-2-3-1? From reading your posts, it soudns like he played a traditional RB role in a 4 man back, but had the freedom to push up the field? Thank you.

We usually play 433.

Reactions: JayH

Would you say he can play has a central defensive midfielder?

I think that is one position NYCFC needs to improve.

Not sure I agree with that. Jacobson has more than held his own. Kreis has also stated that he doesn't need an attack dog there either - just someone to help play it out of the back and keep possession. Mix could do that if we needed. Or Pirlo if that happens.

Weakness has been width of play. LB and RB needs get fulfilled. All of a sudden you have service in the box.

No. As far as I can tell, he has never played there. There is a saying about new tricks and old dogs. He doesn't have the instincts nor the experience nor the body to play there. Any guy you have there will have some of those things, so even if they are objectively worse players than Iraola, will perform better there. Square pegs, round holes.

Oh, and another thing. I don't know what your club does with new signings. Unveiling on the stadium, meet and greet with fans and those kind of things? If so, would be nice avoiding spanish cliches like sun and sangria (veery rainy place), ole and those. Would be like offering a guy from Boston moonshine, cause its american. Don't wave many Spanish flags either :-D We have a whole other set of cliches to make fun of ourselves.