Official: Nycfc Signs Andoni Iraola

Mix, McNamara and Shelton have all shown the ability and desire to play that role
I thought Shelton has sucked as a midfielder. Poku has been one of the best players on the field in the short minutes he's been given. He's always open and available and has made smarter passes than just about anyone else on the team (pass to Allen against NJ, pass to mix against Mon, etc) I have not seen the fatigue others have talked about. Hes played more than 20 minutes once, in his start, and he looked better in the second half than the first. AND JK had him playing out of position. I have not seen one time that he has not been up to the task defensively, in fact, every time I have seen him try to tackle, he has won the ball, and last saturday's pocket picking of the defender was just one example. The fact that he is not starting and playing every game is a tragedy and i don't know what is up with Kreis, our team is worlds better with him on the field. There is no way in hell Grabavoy or Ballouchy or Velasquez should ever be keeping Poku on the bench.

Shelton has the work rate to play as a MF.

But he's a Forward. Maybe he's a winger. But he's definitely not a "shuttler"

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
When Villa hangs it up, he's going to be our captain.
Aren't they about the same age? Might retire together.

I guess looking at FootyLovin's formation, we are still hoping that DP3 is a Pirlo/CDM? Otherwise thats Jacobson's spot.

Still, great signing, shoring up 2 weak spots on the fullbacks.

Reactions: Kjbert
I thought Shelton has sucked as a midfielder. Poku has been one of the best players on the field in the short minutes he's been given. He's always open and available and has made smarter passes than just about anyone else on the team (pass to Allen against NJ, pass to mix against Mon, etc) I have not seen the fatigue others have talked about. Hes played more than 20 minutes once, in his start, and he looked better in the second half than the first. AND JK had him playing out of position. I have not seen one time that he has not been up to the task defensively, in fact, every time I have seen him try to tackle, he has won the ball, and last saturday's pocket picking of the defender was just one example. The fact that he is not starting and playing every game is a tragedy and i don't know what is up with Kreis, our team is worlds better with him on the field. There is no way in hell Grabavoy or Ballouchy or Velasquez should ever be keeping Poku on the bench.
What is surprising to me is how powerfully the ball comes off his foot, yet he seems to be able to deliver passes that are very easy to handle. Even when he strikes a long diagonal ball (one of the few players who will switch the field for us), he looks like it requires absolutely no effort.

The only analog for it I can make is a baseball player having "pop" in his bat, as in the ball just seems to jump off of his bat differently than it does other players'. Poku has that same type of rare "pop" in his foot. I think it just demonstrates his strength.

I loved the sub of him in for Mullins. Basically, it allowed him to play an attacking destroyer mid role like Arturo Vidal.

Shelton does need to play wide for now, but he just needs to be deployed in the same way that Klinsy has begun deploying speedy forwards with the Nats. Getting the old guys out of the lineup and pressing higher up the field should be our game anyway, IMO.

Mullins and Poku want to chase the ball, so I think we should let them. It also gets Villa more touches because we don't always have to work the ball 90 yards up the field before it gets to him. Just look at the Impact game - we played higher pressure and it resulted in tons of touches for Villa. And lo and behold, real shocker I know, but Villa is a different player on both sides of the ball when he gets plenty of touches. It really brought him into the game in a way I haven't seen before.

I disagree we've seen him start and he disappears. I would rather him come on late and give the team the boost that he has been.

The issue I see is that based on his playing time so far this year is that Poku plays like CAM. He even looked decent as a ST this past weekend. We can all keep slotting him is as a CM, but I am not buying it until he shows at least half as much effort in defending in our half of the field as he does going forward and pressing the ball defensively in the final third. If Pirlo comes those outside CMs will need to provide support in the defensive half of the field and make runs forward. Mix, McNamara and Shelton have all shown the ability and desire to play that role, Poku has not but maybe the competition will bring it out in him.

Agreed. All of Poku's best plays were pushing the ball forward out of the midfield, not as a deep distributor or defender.

I was among those who wanted him to be developed for the CDM role at the beginning of the season, but I've now flipped and want to see more of him as a striker. The way he ate up Lefevre, then calmly distributed the ball to Mix for the goal was just tremendous.

The issue I see is that based on his playing time so far this year Poku plays a like CAM. He even looked decent as a ST this past weekend. We can all keep slotting him is as a CM, but I am not buying it until he shows at least half as much effort in defending in our half of the field as he does going forward and pressing the ball defensively in the final third. If Pirlo comes those outside CMs will need to provide support in the defensive half of the field and make runs forward. Mix, McNamara and Shelton have all shown the ability and desire to play that role, Poku has not but maybe the competition will bring it out in him.
I didn't see the post before I just wrote my take, but yes, I think you are correct. The best role for Poku is exactly what you describe. He doesn't share the build or the same style of play with the ball at his feet, but his tactical deployment should be similar to that of a Vidal.

Agreed. All of Poku's best plays were pushing the ball forward out of the midfield, not as a deep distributor or defender.

I was among those who wanted him to be developed for the CDM role at the beginning of the season, but I've now flipped and want to see more of him as a striker. The way he ate up Lefevre, then calmly distributed the ball to Mix for the goal was just tremendous.

Same here. He's not Yaya Toure. He's probably a #10.

Saying this three times makes it true:

Play him in an attacking destroyer role like Arturo Vidal.

I disagree we've seen him start and he disappears. I would rather him come on late and give the team the boost that he has been.
I disagree with your disagreement. He started once, and played well, setting up a goal and passing at more than 90%. At CDM, which ties him to the back line and prevents him from playing his game.

Reactions: Gavin23 and Kjbert
I disagree with your disagreement. He started once, and played well, setting up a goal and passing at more than 90%. At CDM, which ties him to the back line and prevents him from playing his game.

Are we still talking about Poku? When has he ever played CDM? He started at CAM at the top of the diamond in his only start at Philly. He played striker last week against Montreal.

YES might have shown a graphic that he was CAM, but we played a 442 with him and Jacobson as CDM.

Just looked at the heat maps. You are correct sorry about that, I guess I shouldn't trust yes so much. So it sounds like we are in agreement that he should play in an attacking role? Or do you see him in more of a box to box type role?

Reactions: kun and Kjbert
Just looked at the heat maps. You are correct sorry about that, I guess I shouldn't trust yes so much. So it sounds like we are in agreement that he should play in an attacking role? Or do you see him in more of a box to box type role?
I don't think box to box, but he should be from the 40 yard line to the opponent's goal. Similar to Mix, I think they would work so well together.

I guess looking at FootyLovin's formation, we are still hoping that DP3 is a Pirlo/CDM? Otherwise thats Jacobson's spot.
As much as I love Pirlo I'm not of a one track mind. With the two FB signings today it gives us a much better chance of moving the ball upfield effectively. Pirlo gives us instant phenomenal improvement at moving the ball into attacking position. But with much improved offensive support coming from the FBs I could now be much more comfortable with a strike partner for Villa.

On the other hand, we have lots of young talent to compete for the right mid and forward positions in Mullins, Poku, Shelton, Tmac. A DP3 there takes away playing time from those players. On the other hand Pirlo replaces a position where we are moderate to weak and have no one who I would consider future talent. So I still prefer Pirlo, but I can also see a strike partner as DP3 now that we have more quality players coming in to move the ball up to the front.

Reactions: Paul
FootyLovin FootyLovin fair point. But think of Pirlo receiving the ball from Facey, pivoting and finding Angelino racing up the left touch line?

FootyLovin FootyLovin fair point. But think of Pirlo receiving the ball from Facey, pivoting and finding Angelino racing up the left touch line?
Absolutely. Look, I'm the guy who brought the big Pirlo sign to the Houston game (before it was cool) and again to the Montreal game. He is my #1, 2 and 3 choice. I'm only saying that the two improved FBs improve us in one area (moving the ball from back to front) that Pirlo helps us in.