Philly Postmatch

Can't be arsed writing a full thing. I'm overall chuffed but wanted to make a couple of points -

Easy on the Lewis hype train. Camargo and Shelton and Poku have all made effective subs but failed to make a real impression as starters.

Harrison has looked a little lost in the center IMO. I hope it's just a case of recalibration after spending so much time skimming the touchline.

Can't be arsed writing a full thing. I'm overall chuffed but wanted to make a couple of points -

Easy on the Lewis hype train. Camargo and Shelton and Poku have all made effective subs but failed to make a real impression as starters.

Harrison has looked a little lost in the center IMO. I hope it's just a case of recalibration after spending so much time skimming the touchline.

Agreed on both points. Lewis was dynamic today but I remember his first outing and he was completely lifted off his feet by a defender. With some weight room work and time in the system, he could break out next year. It looks to me a situation just like Jack Harrison's. He came in as a boy and is being made into a man. It was damn exciting watching him completely rope defenders today though. Sheeeeeeesh!

Jack is working so hard. He took a ding today that has me worried. He's had some hip/groin issues and when he went down today, he got up with a limp. He powered through it but he clearly took a legitimate knock.

Villa was unlucky to not get at least 1 today.

Do Ucubed and Sweat live in a 3 bedroom apt in Westchester with Revfugee? Honestly that's the only rationale I can come up with for anyone thinking either over performed.
I didn't see a goal or a serious chance go through Sweat and he and Mata linked up well. TMac worked out of some very difficult situations (review minute 16, for one example). Given their salaries and standing on this board, I'll call that overperformance.

I didn't see a goal or a serious chance go through Sweat and he and Mata linked up well. TMac worked out of some very difficult situations (review minute 16, for one example). Given their salaries and standing on this board, I'll call that overperformance.
I can't figure out why sweat gets so much shit here. He's a positive offensively, helps move the ball forward, and tries hard on defense. He's gotten beaten a few times, but the guy is a back up that walked into the team. He's been much better than RJ at left back, he would have started for us in 2015. Lol

Villa had a hard working day, but frustrated me with the back heels and quick flicks, none of which came off and lost possession constantly.

Thought everyone looked good except tmac. He has seriously regressed. Better than Lopez though. I thought Lewis made PV look dumb for not playing him and shifting Jack inside all these games.

Who else wasn't happy to wake up this morning and see that Toronto, Columbus, NJRB and Atlanta all lost?

One thing to consider is that NYCFC still has all four games against CHI and TOR left. Lots of points against the top 2 still to play for.

Sorry can't stop the Lewis hype train. It was a short period of time but if you watch his action during the u20 concacaf whatever thingy (i know super precise language) he played very similar and very dynamic on the left side.

Reactions: Kjbert and gbservis
My first post is not going to be about the game. It's going to be about something off the field that stood out as the lowlight of the season. If you know who I am in real life, or at least on Twitter, I posted this publicly. Because for it to happen is irresponsible.

Vince and Vance Moss, surgeons who live in New Jersey and served in our military. They are also public in MLS circles as Red Bull fans and more notably as arrogant ones. See last year, them getting in the face of Didier Drogba...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ogant-and-a-sore-loser-he-told-us-to-be-resp/

These two individuals have a history of accosting opposing players and coaches.

They were in attendance today. I noticed them in the Legends suite sitting with another Pitchside season ticket holder who I've seen at many games in the past. Based on this, I'd say that they were invited by this individual. They were dressed in sport coats and wearing Philadelphia Union scarves. As an NYCFC fan, I would never wear the scarf of another team to a match.

Before the game, Jim Curtin comes over to the NYCFC side of the field and shakes their hand. Does Curtin know who they really are? I can't answer that. But they were rooting for the Union and wearing Union scarves, so there's that.

They're fine during the course of the game, not making any scenes.

Then comes the Union goal. One of the brothers, I cannot tell which one, leaves PS1 which is the one closer to the corner flag and makes his way, Union scarf above his head, toward PS2 in the direction of the NYCFC bench. He gets as close as he can to Vieira and starts saying some language and in a manner that would "cross the line". Vieira turns around and responds with some kind language himself. Moss continues to accost Vieira and Vieira steps over the video boards. They are face to face as the NYCFC and Yankee Stadium security come to separate them. Nothing gets physical. Patrick goes back to the NYCFC bench, the Moss brothers goes back to his seat with Yankee Stadium security nearby him.

Vieira is likely to see a suspension, maybe multiple games, for leaving the bench/tactical area and entering a fan section.

Though, these brothers have a history and continually create a hostile environment where some worse can happen if escalated. And this continued behavior by them needs to be addressed by the league office. You can't have fans like them continued to be allowed to accost players in the manner in which they do.

After we scored the first goal, Vieira had his fist in the air and looked right at these guys. After the game, same thing. Vieira and Curtin spoke after the game, and I think Vieira said something to Jim about these guys. Jim Curtin then went back over to these guys after the game and said something.

I get angry, I get heated at referees and opposing players and coaches. But I never swear, never accost, never get into confrontation. It's sporting fun and in good taste. "Do your job" to referees. "Sit down" to opposing coaches. "Never forget 2014" to Wondo.

They create hostile environments, are aggressors, and agitators. I would ban these individuals from all MLS stadiums, games, and events.

As Drogba said in the article, these guys needs to be more respectful or in my opinion never be allowed to come to an MLS game again.

Thoughts? I love how instead of using your quotes from here they just say 'other sources' and wing it. Lol

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
They have to be banned from returning to YS in August. I am sure that this has already been escalated appropriately. Let's hope the appropriate parties drop the ban hammer.

For a league that promotes respect and fair play as central features of its core mission, not banning these overgrown adolescents would be a hypocritical travesty.

Also towards the end of the game Philly played a long ball to our corner and Sweat was well positioned on his man. Then got outran and out muscled and committed a foul outside the box instead of letting the attacker get the ball and go in only one direction (to the corner). Maxi ripped him. Couple minutes later on a similar play in the same area maxi out worked someone and stole the ball. Dude has earned my respect so far.
And his hustle back on the breakaway Philly had but didn't score on was great. I thought Maxi didn't play all that particularly well yesterday, but he plays damn hard.

We're better playing on our front foot than our back foot. It's obvious that we don't know how to shut a game down defensively.

What's interesting is with our possession, we can close a game down by playing keep away
To be fair, we've only blown a late lead once this season (two other blown leads were much earlier, MTL and RSL). We have been pretty successful at closing games out when we have a lead.

I'm not certain I've seen Sweat try particular hard on defense yet this year.
I swear he's been told to be a like-for-like replacement for Mata. Sweat has some really nice moves going forward.

Reactions: Kjbert
I swear he's been told to be a like-for-like replacement for Mata. Sweat has some really nice moves going forward.

I do agree it seems he's been instructed to get forward without worry about getting caught out, just as Mata does. My issue is that when caught out Mata runs as hard as possible to get back where as the last few games Sweat jogs casually behind the play. Mata ran so hard last year he slammed himself into the post to save a gaol. Have we ever seen Sweat run that hard towards our own goal?