Pirlo Considering Juventus Loan In January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still think we would've had much greater success with our team had we played the correct formations and appropriate positions for our stronger players *cough Mix CDM cough Poku CAM next to Lampard cough why are you playing pirlo as a deeper defensive role instead of the one distributing plays* sorry about my cold. It came early this year

I know Frank is old but can we at least try a lineup with him and Mix around Pirlo? Play 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-3?

Villa-Poku-Shelton
Mix-Lampard
Pirlo
Back Four

Mix covers for Villa who won't defend. Shelton covers for Lampard. Poku can play a False 9 even. But let's let our CMs play there and see what happens.

The current formation isn't working. So let's try the one where everyone plays their natural position.

In watching the game Sunday, it's clear that Lampard isn't a 10. But Poku is

Reactions: gbservis
Sadly this thread is filled with wisdom. I love Pirlo but his presence along with Lampard means Poku plays less and NYCFC doesn't go after a DP level CDM. We need for this to change in 2016.
At least in 2017 , we will not really need to worry about replacing Lampard and Pirlo since we have Poku and Mix.

Who posted the other day the numbers that show how the offense almost doubled since Pirlo came here. Not cause I'm a Juve fan but those giving him the boot probably never watched him play other than YouTube videos. Who told you he was a defensive player? I'd like to see that hack Jacobson leave the team. He plays every game, every minute and leaves gaping holes through the middle. Pirlo is by far the best passer on this team. That's his friggin game, not defense. You can blame him all you want...but what I saw was a world class player put on a team with a bunch of crap players that haven't a clue as to what to do and a dumbass coach. If you think he's the problem you're showing your "newbie" soccer status.

Someone's a little sensitive about their man crush. Kidding, but anyway, I was one to ship him out, but I never said he was the problem or criticized him at all: I want someone younger, that's it. Someone who can carry more of the load. Pirlo is great with competent players that can finish his great play. Without those decent players, Pirlo's talents go to waste.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Pirlo's defensive liabilities are not cancelled out by the 4 or 5 moments of brilliance we saw this year.

Simpletons saw 4 or 5 moments of brilliance from Pirlo during his partial season.

Non-simpletons saw a playmaker being used incorrectly, a horrific back line and many elite Pirlo passes dying at the hands (feet) of poor first touches.

It's funny, for a guy who pisses on Kries at every opportunity, you don't find Kries culpable at all in Pirlo's defensive weakness.

Do you think NYCFC went out and got Pirlo for defense? Jesus.

Build (and field) a team around your core. NYCFC has a lot of work to do in that department.

Simpletons saw 4 or 5 moments of brilliance from Pirlo during his partial season.

Non-simpletons saw a playmaker being used incorrectly, a horrific back line and many elite Pirlo passes dying at the hands (feet) of poor first touches.

It's funny, for a guy who pisses on Kries at every opportunity, you don't find Kries culpable at all in Pirlo's defensive weakness.

Do you think NYCFC went out and got Pirlo for defense? Jesus.

Build (and field) a team around your core. NYCFC has a lot of work to do in that department.
If a guy needs 4 or 5 specific types of players around him to be effective, he's probably not the best choice for an expansion team in MLS.

Sorry I made a snarky comment at you before, can we be even now and drop it?

It is baffling that we continue to struggle with the conundrum of how to fit in Pirlo, Lampard, Poku and Mix when Jacobson starts every game....

He's been reasonable, but any of the other players mentioned could surely do a better job. Pirlo does the playmaker role well, without being defensively strong, but Mix is a great player to have in there buzzing about picking up loose balls. Lampard does some tipp-tappy, flicky stuff and is good for some play on the edge of the area and Poku is a great one for picking up the ball wherever, linking with team mates and driving forward.

What Jacobson offers compared to that, i'm not sure. He's generally available in midfield, can play the odd pass and is sometimes covering at the back. But maybe you could have a plastic bag blowing around the field and it would be just as effective.

A strong back line would cure many of our ills, so we'll have to wait and see.

If a guy needs 4 or 5 specific types of players around him to be effective, he's probably not the best choice for an expansion team in MLS.

Sorry I made a snarky comment at you before, can we be even now and drop it?
It's not that he needs 4-5 players to be good. He's already done great with a deficient bunch surrounding him. It's that he needs the option to pass to actual wingers to feed out to (unless you count grabavoy, mix, and the consistent changes every game to those positions as adequate) as well as another central partner (or 2 in my opinion) that actually shows his face for an outlet to pass to and ease pressure off. We have the players to fill the holes in the center mid category. Would I love a legit CDM like Kitchen instead of Jacobson? Hell yes. But first priority is to have strong CBs. Second priority are wingers. Anything else is silly in my opinion. How people are calling for another striker signing is just crazy to me. We have major problems at the core of a team and people are worried about a position that should be looked at as a cherry on top. dont even get me started with formations lol

Villa----------Shelton
--------Poku----------
Mix----------Lampard
-------Pirlo-----------
LB---CB-CB-Iraola

Mix can cover for Villa and Pirlo. Shelton and Iraola cover for Lampard. Let's find out if Lampard can play the 8. That's essentially the formation that Juve played last year. Mix has the workrate. Poku can link play or play as a False 9. Villa gets to operate off the LW and can link up with Mix. If Lampard can't play the 8, then let's find out. It can't be any worse than it was this year.

Villa----------Shelton
--------Poku----------
Mix----------Lampard
-------Pirlo-----------
LB---CB-CB-Iraola

Mix can cover for Villa and Pirlo. Shelton and Iraola cover for Lampard. Let's find out if Lampard can play the 8. That's essentially the formation that Juve played last year. Mix has the workrate. Poku can link play or play as a False 9. Villa gets to operate off the LW and can link up with Mix. If Lampard can't play the 8, then let's find out. It can't be any worse than it was this year.
This works only if the CB in this equation are quality. We don't currently have those.

But I do like the idea of 2 up top.

This works only if the CB in this equation are quality. We don't currently have those.

But I do like the idea of 2 up top.

Totally agree with you. You need two competent CBs. I think we should have the payroll flexibility to acquire them.

If all we do this offseason is get two new CBs, I think this team is good enough to win next year. Poku and Shelton need to be healthy and be consistent performers. But there is talent there. We need two starting CBs.

Villa----------Shelton
--------Poku----------
Mix----------Lampard
-------Pirlo-----------
LB---CB-CB-Iraola

I'm sorry but I definitely disagree with this. Not only does it keep pirlo too defensively responsible but it overloads mix and more importantly lampard's responsibility to be in great shape without injury. I also notice you tried to answer Villa's wishes of a striking partner but Shelton is unfortunately not the answer (I want him to be great so badly). I think Kreis needs to realize we don't have the personnel to rely on attacking wide. In my personal fantasy of kreis using his "famed" knowledge of the game we would use players where they are strongest. I would play a 4-3-2-1 or a modified 4-3-3 if it helps ease the modern purists. It would read more literally as 4-2-1-2-1. Back four with 2 very solid CBs would be crucial, followed by the 2 deeper CMs (one purely defensive central midfield that stays home to break up counter attacks and doesn't run too far up field to keep numbers back if/when our fullbacks make an attacking run, and Mix acting as a box to box CM. Above them creating a triangle should be our prized playmaker Pirlo given freedom to float anywhere due to his 2 henchman beneath him and also having Mix to play off of. 2 above Pirlo creating another triangle would be Poku!!! and Lampard as CAM. However Lampard would also be given freedom as a floating role to help Villa up top and free up space from defenders. We do not have a physical team so it's time to start playing smarter, especially with the knowledge of our DPs. Brain before brawn

I'm sorry but I definitely disagree with this. Not only does it keep pirlo too defensively responsible but it overloads mix and more importantly lampard's responsibility to be in great shape without injury. I also notice you tried to answer Villa's wishes of a striking partner but Shelton is unfortunately not the answer (I want him to be great so badly). I think Kreis needs to realize we don't have the personnel to rely on attacking wide. In my personal fantasy of kreis using his "famed" knowledge of the game we would use players where they are strongest. I would play a 4-3-2-1 or a modified 4-3-3 if it helps ease the modern purists. It would read more literally as 4-2-1-2-1. Back four with 2 very solid CBs would be crucial, followed by the 2 deeper CMs (one purely defensive central midfield that stays home to break up counter attacks and doesn't run too far up field to keep numbers back if/when our fullbacks make an attacking run, and Mix acting as a box to box CM. Above them creating a triangle should be our prized playmaker Pirlo given freedom to float anywhere due to his 2 henchman beneath him and also having Mix to play off of. 2 above Pirlo creating another triangle would be Poku!!! and Lampard as CAM. However Lampard would also be given freedom as a floating role to help Villa up top and free up space from defenders. We do not have a physical team so it's time to start playing smarter, especially with the knowledge of our DPs. Brain before brawn

Lampard was awful this year as a CAM. Awful. There was absolutely no link up play with Pirlo to Lampard to Villa. He was best when he came back to link up with Pirlo and there was someone in front of him to work with.

You are just assuming that Lampard and Mix can't play on either side of Pirlo. Let's at least find out. Maybe you are right. Maybe I am right. What I can tell you is that Lampard can't/doesn't want to play as a CAM. Watching him vs. the kid that plays for the Revs on Sunday was a contrast in styles.

Why is Shelton not the answer? The way we play, we're lacking a hold up player. In my line-up, I looked at it more as a 4-3-3 with Poku as a False 9. But it could also be a 4-3-1-2. Either way, Shelton has the speed and work rate we've found to play up the right flank.

Lampard was awful this year as a CAM. Awful. There was absolutely no link up play with Pirlo to Lampard to Villa. He was best when he came back to link up with Pirlo and there was someone in front of him to work with.

You are just assuming that Lampard and Mix can't play on either side of Pirlo. Let's at least find out. Maybe you are right. Maybe I am right. What I can tell you is that Lampard can't/doesn't want to play as a CAM. Watching him vs. the kid that plays for the Revs on Sunday was a contrast in styles.

Why is Shelton not the answer? The way we play, we're lacking a hold up player. In my line-up, I looked at it more as a 4-3-3 with Poku as a False 9. But it could also be a 4-3-1-2. Either way, Shelton has the speed and work rate we've found to play up the right flank.
Wait. So you're telling me Lampard plays awful as a CAM? We all know how many bumps in the road there was regarding him this year. So on top of that you're going to judge him for one game (while he's scored and almost scored on many occasions in past games) he's suddenly "AWFUL"? You do realize Frank Lampard has broken countless records as a CAM right? You also made a point where he needs people in front. He'll have two of our best talents in front of him. I also suggested him as a floating role. Which means he'd be all over wherever his genius soccer mind takes him which gives him plenty of people to work with as he sees fit. The lack of link up play was not his fault; It was the teams lack of adequate players in the proper position which led to unopen passing lanes to smoothly fulfill the possession based game Kreis wanted to see. Relying on these 2 DPs to perform physically demanding roles is a recipe for disaster.

In regards to Shelton, his touch is very disappointing. I am all for an athletic freak as a striker. He's just not quite there development-wise to rely on as a consistency in a line up. He played in a very select few games with varying results. There should be no calls for him as a staple in a starting lineup without him being more experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.