Pirlo Considering Juventus Loan In January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait. So you're telling me Lampard plays awful as a CAM? We all know how many bumps in the road there was regarding him this year. So on top of that you're going to judge him for one game (while he's scored and almost scored on many occasions in past games) he's suddenly "AWFUL"? You do realize Frank Lampard has broken countless records as a CAM right? You also made a point where he needs people in front. He'll have two of our best talents in front of him. I also suggested him as a floating role. Which means he'd be all over wherever his genius soccer mind takes him which gives him plenty of people to work with as he sees fit. The lack of link up play was not his fault; It was the teams lack of adequate players in the proper position which led to unopen passing lanes to smoothly fulfill the possession based game Kreis wanted to see. Relying on these 2 DPs to perform physically demanding roles is a recipe for disaster.

In regards to Shelton, his touch is very disappointing. I am all for an athletic freak as a striker. He's just not quite there development-wise to rely on as a consistency in a line up. He played in a very select few games with varying results. There should be no calls for him as a staple in a starting lineup without him being more experienced.

So much to dissect here, so I will do it in pieces:

1) I am not judging him off of one game. I am judging him off of 10 games. That's not his natural or preferred position and it showed. Too often, he found himself deep in our half when he should have been up the field.

2) I didn't say he played awful for us. Quite the contrary. I think he was an awful CAM. Just as I think Poku is awful out wide and Facey was awful as a RB.

3) Frank Lampard has never played CAM. His position at Chelsea is the position Cesc Fabregas took over from him last season. He is a box to box midfielder, an 8.

4) I agree with you that he should play a floating role where he can pick and choose where he goes. You do that out of Central Midfield. Not from up the field. Too many times this year, with the awful formations we used, it was Villa alone trying to make something happen. Part of that is on Lampard really not sticking to his CAM role.

5) Shelton's touch is dissapointing. Would you prefer more of Mullins? I am ok with that, I just don't know if he can defend like Shelton.

So much to dissect here, so I will do it in pieces:

1) I am not judging him off of one game. I am judging him off of 10 games. That's not his natural or preferred position and it showed. Too often, he found himself deep in our half when he should have been up the field.

2) I didn't say he played awful for us. Quite the contrary. I think he was an awful CAM. Just as I think Poku is awful out wide and Facey was awful as a RB.

3) Frank Lampard has never played CAM. His position at Chelsea is the position Cesc Fabregas took over from him last season. He is a box to box midfielder, an 8.

4) I agree with you that he should play a floating role where he can pick and choose where he goes. You do that out of Central Midfield. Not from up the field. Too many times this year, with the awful formations we used, it was Villa alone trying to make something happen. Part of that is on Lampard really not sticking to his CAM role.

5) Shelton's touch is dissapointing. Would you prefer more of Mullins? I am ok with that, I just don't know if he can defend like Shelton.

I don't know how to do fancy excerpts of quotes so I'll respond to you by your well crafted number system lol

1&2) I disagree and although he hasn't lived up to the hype we thought he would, he still was by no means awful and I believe you would be eating your words had he been here longer instead of the shitstorm we experienced with his game attendance.

3) Saying that he NEVER played CAM is a false statement. Yes he played box to box mid and even a holding mid but was also frequently featured in attacking midfield roles. Like we all unfortunately will, he has aged and relying on him to be physically responsible running up and back to defense is foolhardy. I'm suggesting we use his soccer IQ the best we can to float around as a "CAM" that plays to his own talents. Leave the legwork for Poku, and allow Lampard to be a guiding hand with his vision and ability to clean up rebounds and crosses on a late run.

5) I actually really like Shelton. I also really like Mullins and think he's a dark horse on our team. But as of now our defense is a liability and think that before having 2 forwards, we should have another body that has a presence on defense.

I'm very happy to have an intelligent convo about soccer and all its tactics so thank you. I would hate to be a poor soul that merely thinks "I hope this batter hits this ball really really far" :D (yes I'm from NY and dislike baseball). Go Mets! But I also really don't care for your sport hahah

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Mix has had enough professional appearances to know what type of player he is. I am, as a lot of you, fine with him playing next to Pirlo. I'm also fine with Poku starting. But I'm not fine with Jason not seeing that. He's got a hard on for these American soccer players that bust their ass but lack skill. Mix and Poku can handle a ball. But Jason wants to play guys that run all over the place and handle a pass by letting it bounce 10 yards in front of them. Let's be honest here...I have a hard time believing that Lampard and Pirlo can't play in MLS. It's a majority of the players around them that can't. MLS is getting better. There are real skill and finesse players here now. We have half our team put together with subpar players...it's an expansion team. It'll get better and better players will come here. If I was a good young player, I'd want to play in NYC with Villa, Pirlo and Lampard. But you're all insane for wanting to jettison class players out cause of 1/2 year. I'm for keeping the core and developing continuity going into next year. Add the pieces we need around them. The DM role needs to be redefined and our back line is a mess. I don't think Jason is the right coach for trying to piece this team together. If he comes back (which I'm sure he will) I'll suck it up and hope he makes soccer decisions, not personality decisions.

players that bust their ass but lack skill
As this was my first season really paying somewhat close attention to MLS I think that perfectly sums up what I've seen. There's a lot of power here, a lot of athleticism, a lot of energy but it sometimes feels like it's not quite the beautiful game. If all Pirlo, Lampard, and Villa do is have some of their game rub off on our team these first few years I'd be totally happy with that.

As to what I think we need, if we could add a Zabaleta and a Kompany there'd be no stopping us. A Zabaleta type for his long runs around the outside to kickstart the offense coupled with his getting back to play defense as well, and a Kompany type for having him able to break up every single offensive threat the other teams might come up with. I think those are the two roles we're lacking.

I don't know how to do fancy excerpts of quotes so I'll respond to you by your well crafted number system lol

1&2) I disagree and although he hasn't lived up to the hype we thought he would, he still was by no means awful and I believe you would be eating your words had he been here longer instead of the shitstorm we experienced with his game attendance.

3) Saying that he NEVER played CAM is a false statement. Yes he played box to box mid and even a holding mid but was also frequently featured in attacking midfield roles. Like we all unfortunately will, he has aged and relying on him to be physically responsible running up and back to defense is foolhardy. I'm suggesting we use his soccer IQ the best we can to float around as a "CAM" that plays to his own talents. Leave the legwork for Poku, and allow Lampard to be a guiding hand with his vision and ability to clean up rebounds and crosses on a late run.

5) I actually really like Shelton. I also really like Mullins and think he's a dark horse on our team. But as of now our defense is a liability and think that before having 2 forwards, we should have another body that has a presence on defense.

I'm very happy to have an intelligent convo about soccer and all its tactics so thank you. I would hate to be a poor soul that merely thinks "I hope this batter hits this ball really really far" :D (yes I'm from NY and dislike baseball). Go Mets! But I also really don't care for your sport hahah

All I am asking for is to give Frank a chance to play as an 8. Give him a few games at least. If, come next May, it isn't working out, then let him try the 10 again. Maybe Poku can play as an 8 next to Pirlo, with Mix on the other side. I think Poku needs to play closer to up top because of his ability to hold up play. We don't have a player that can hold up play well now. Shelton could potentially, but as you point out, he has a poor first touch. Mullins maybe.

All I am asking for is to give Frank a chance to play as an 8. Give him a few games at least. If, come next May, it isn't working out, then let him try the 10 again. Maybe Poku can play as an 8 next to Pirlo, with Mix on the other side. I think Poku needs to play closer to up top because of his ability to hold up play. We don't have a player that can hold up play well now. Shelton could potentially, but as you point out, he has a poor first touch. Mullins maybe.
I agree. Definitely Poku closer to the striker. I just am very suspicious of Lampard and his commitment to the team. Therefore I would like to keep his role as limited as possible without too many responsibilities so that other players have a chance to rise to the occasion and grow.

LOOK ALL YOU MEN OUT THERE! We Women Need Eye Candy!! Trust Me there's Nothing More Sweet than my Man ANDREA PIRLO! He's been the Love of my life for 11 years! No matter where he is I am! I'll say that Mr Mix sure has a lot to offer a female fan as well! So the next person who wants to be negative about ANDREA keep this in mind it takes more than skills, talent, goals,and wins to pack a stadium!!............Good Hair, Class,and Enormous Sex Appeal Help!!!

They possibly would if we didn't insist on playing Jacobsen every second of every game.

And Grabavoy. Pirlo must look at this guy play and laugh. It's a joke that Grabavoy was constantly marched out there to play next to world class players like Pirlo and Lampard.

And those of you who think we're better off with Pirlo are cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. The problem isn't Pirlo. The problem was a shit coach and a shit defense that forced Pirlo defend. Get a good backline, and let Pirlo do his thing, and you'll all be sucking on his wank.

And Grabavoy. Pirlo must look at this guy play and laugh. It's a joke that Grabavoy was constantly marched out there to play next to world class players like Pirlo and Lampard.

And those of you who think we're better off with Pirlo are cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. The problem isn't Pirlo. The problem was a shit coach and a shit defense that forced Pirlo defend. Get a good backline, and let Pirlo do his thing, and you'll all be sucking on his wank.
Well.... Angela Miller Angela Miller might at least.........:confused:

LOOK ALL YOU MEN OUT THERE! We Women Need Eye Candy!! Trust Me there's Nothing More Sweet than my Man ANDREA PIRLO! He's been the Love of my life for 11 years! No matter where he is I am! I'll say that Mr Mix sure has a lot to offer a female fan as well! So the next person who wants to be negative about ANDREA keep this in mind it takes more than skills, talent, goals,and wins to pack a stadium!!............Good Hair, Class,and Enormous Sex Appeal Help!!!

Haha. I wonder what an all-time World XI based solely on looks would be like...

So refreshing to read this thread.

My fave suggestion for midfield thus far is still the narrow Christmas tree (Pirlo, flanked by Mix plus AJ (for lack of a better option that comes to mind right now), with Poku and Lampard in front of them. Let our full backs bomb forward with Mix and AJ to hold them down. It's a slightly more narrow version of what most modern possession-based sides are playing nowadays, and caters for a ball-playing, defensively squeamish CDM a la Pirlo / Busquets.

My fave suggestion for midfield thus far is still the narrow Christmas tree (Pirlo, flanked by Mix plus AJ (for lack of a better option that comes to mind right now), with Poku and Lampard in front of them. Let our full backs bomb forward with Mix and AJ to hold them down. It's a slightly more narrow version of what most modern possession-based sides are playing nowadays, and caters for a ball-playing, defensively squeamish CDM a la Pirlo / Busquets.
Couldn't agree more. The only problem is that people complain about villa having nobody to partner with. I'd really love to see that formation because even though it's seen as defensive, it's a step in the right direction towards putting our best players all out on the field and unlocking the potential of Pirlo, one of the greatest playmakers in the game

Reactions: AJS
Couldn't agree more. The only problem is that people complain about villa having nobody to partner with. I'd really love to see that formation because even though it's seen as defensive, it's a step in the right direction towards putting our best players all out on the field and unlocking the potential of Pirlo, one of the greatest playmakers in the game
Yeah I think it's a matter of what does the formation look like in the attacking third. If we are building up patiently, by the time Villa gets the ball he's rolling deep with 4 or 5 team mates around him. OTOH if we are struggling to win the ball back and play it out, and just lumping it up to one of the smallest guys on the pitch, then yes, 1 up front leaves him very isolated.

Reactions: BEC SPK

I dont think Villa survives the season in that formation. Teams are already mugging him, ask him to play hold up? forget it.

I nominate Mario Kempes, in all his mustachioed glory.

tumblr_m6wscgBOsv1rzhkubo1_1280.jpg

If by "looks" you mean "hair" then Claudio Caniggia would definitely be the starting striker.

Reactions: Gene
Status
Not open for further replies.