Poll: Do You Care About Branding

How important is it for NYCFC to be a separate brand from MCFC

• Total voters

MyBoyVilla

Registered
Mar 19, 2014
Manhattan
twitter.com
There has been some discussion about the similarity of NYCFC's new kit to that of MCFC. So the question arises, how important to you is it that in branding specifically (think kits, colors, sponsors, name, advertisements etc.) the club maintains a different identity to that of MCFC?

Note: This sets aside the use of the club as a MCFC feeder club (I think we would all take issue with that).

I think the kit launch today has severely discredited much of what the club has been doing so far. The shirt is an obvious replica of Manchester City's home kit, with the crests swapped and an Adidas style. It's so disheartening to see that NYCFC seems nothing more than a furthering of the City brand, rather than adopting it's own unique style that is inherently New York.

I genuinely hope that a majority of the supporters feel the same way and will take issue with the club for this error. While everything was going so well for NYCFC so far, the kit reveal has proven shambolic and given me massive questions as a supporter even before the first kick.

I don't understand the issue with being associated with MCFC, the reality is we are a much smaller club than them, we can benefit from shared resources and ultimately may even become the bigger club one day but we are all under the CFG umbrella. I don't see an issue with that, CFG is expanding their brand, the key to a brand is consistency. They want to make CFG a global football brand, which means the clubs under the umbrella must be homogenous to some extent. Being in the CFG in my opinion is a privilege and should prove to do a lot more good than harm in the long run. CFG has a way of doing things and they are going to use this model across all of their clubs, economies of scale will be created, culture will be created and so will scale. Man City is the largest of the group right now but that doesn't mean they always will be. And people who are fans of other EPL clubs and are turned off by MCFC ownsership are being a bit petty in my opinion. I am a Mets fan but the Yankee owership has no bearing on my decision to support NYCFC. I believe we should embrace being in the CFG family and stop fighting it.

I think its brilliant that the first votes on this poll are so spread out. Clearly this is a polarizing issue. I think its important that we all respect how everyone else feels about this. As someone who cares about branding, I respect and understand those who do not. I only hope the reverse is true.

Reactions: BxLio91
I think the kit launch today has severely discredited much of what the club has been doing so far. The shirt is an obvious replica of Manchester City's home kit, with the crests swapped and an Adidas style. It's so disheartening to see that NYCFC seems nothing more than a furthering of the City brand, rather than adopting it's own unique style that is inherently New York.

I genuinely hope that a majority of the supporters feel the same way and will take issue with the club for this error. While everything was going so well for NYCFC so far, the kit reveal has proven shambolic and given me massive questions as a supporter even before the first kick.

Really? The kit has put your supportership in question? Why? Your city has a football club now, players will come and go, kits will come and go, ownership may even come and go. Supporters stay through all of this and a connection to the club and to each other is created through the play on the field and the experiences with other supporters. We will all go through the changes and ups and downs together. Sometimes happy sometimes not but in the end we will all be united through this club whether CFG owns it or some other energy drink buys the team.

Reactions: leilanikali420
It's been discussed before and always ended in an all out war and closed. I have no issue with continuing the discussion as I do believe today's events warrant it but again share your opinion don't force it down someone else's throat. Agree to disagree.
Nothing you say will change how someone feels about a club they've supported all their life (if they're a city fan) and vice versa to someone about a city they've lived in their whole life which they want to develop their own identity for.

Reactions: MyBoyVilla
I think its brilliant that the first votes on this poll are so spread out. Clearly this is a polarizing issue. I think its important that we all respect how everyone else feels about this. As someone who cares about branding, I respect and understand those who do not. I only hope the reverse is true.

Its hard to respect a point of view or people who are ready to jump ship because they do not understand the concept of CFG trying to build a local brand.

It's been discussed before and always ended in an all out war and closed. I have no issue with continuing the discussion as I do believe today's events warrant it but again share your opinion don't force it down someone else's throat. Agree to disagree.
Nothing you say will change how someone feels about a club they've supported all their life (if they're a city fan) and vice versa to someone about a city they've lived in their whole life which they want to develop their own identity for.
As always, it is a select few who are so certain of their opinions that they demean people who disagree. So far, most of the discussion has been fair and civil, which I am happy and proud of. Hopefully that continues.

Well try to be a bit more tolerant. Your views are just as strange to them as theirs are to you.
I dont think any of comments have been harsh or intolerant, I am just trying to explain the big picture and my hope is that people being to understand that the brand isnt MCFC but its CFG. We arent a little bro of MCFC we are a CFG club and with comes standardization i.e. the kit

Reactions: JoeHolt
I dont think any of comments have been harsh or intolerant, I am just trying to explain the big picture and my hope is that people being to understand that the brand isnt MCFC but its CFG. We arent a little bro of MCFC we are a CFG club and with comes standardization i.e. the kit
I think that is a fair opinion. I was replying to your comment about not respecting people who disagree with you.

honestly don't even want to be a supporter now.

There I said it. I don't want us to be a copy of another club. This jersey release is a joke.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
Well one of the biggest ways to make the brand local wasn't local.
NYCFC sounds local to me, colors are
honestly don't even want to be a supporter now.

There I said it. I don't want us to be a copy of another club. This jersey release is a joke.

Can i ask a hypothetical? If you were a metro stars fan and red bull came in the way they did would you jump ship?

red bull could very well sell soon as well, my point is things change over the course of a franchise we support for reasons other than corporate affiliation, kit design etc. Its about memories, pride for your city, moments with friends and kids etc. Bonding with other supporters, this stuff is all nonsense at the end of the day. We can complain about it and wish it was different but at the end of the day we are all NYCFC supporters till the end, through all the ups an downs. We , the supporters will be the constant through the life of this franchise.

the logos couldn't be anymore different. The shirts are the same color (although very different accents). Does a blue Ford and a blue Chevrolet not have brand differentiation?

Of course the logos are different, but that's the only item on any jersey that has to be team-centric and specific. MC2 decided that the bare minimum was enough. A lot, but not all, fans hoped for more. They could have done more, while still clearly staying within the MC brand.

Reactions: Gene
Of course the logos are different, but that's the only item on any jersey that has to be team-centric and specific. MC2 decided that the bare minimum was enough. A lot, but not all, fans hoped for more. They could have done more, while still clearly staying within the MC brand.

I don't think calling the club MC2 is helpful. You can think the club should have had a different shirt, but come on. Calling it MC2? Why are you making fun of a club you support?