Potential Free Agent Moves

Olave? Lord have mercy. What's his salary again? Doesn't he also count as an international?

If only this was a real possibility. We have quite some time of dreaming left:confused:image.jpeg

Some players like Bobby Boswell are on that list but he already re-signed with DC.

I thought there was like one guy in the whole league that would be a free agent?

The owner's initial free agency proposal set the requirements so high that only Brad Davis would have been a free agent. That's probably what you were thinking of. The final agreement has a reasonable amount of players reaching free agency.

Last edited:
With free agency looming for the first time in MLS, we should keep track of which players are eligible and might be targets for NYCFC (or might be leaving NYCFC).

In order to qualify for free agency, a player must meet the following criteria.

- at least 28 years old
- at least 8 years of service in MLS
- not be earning the maximum salary ($426,250 or more)
- have a contract that is expiring (not sure about this one, since contracts are with the league)
If a player pursues free agency, there are limits to the increase in salary he can receive that are based on his current salary: up to 25% for those earning 100K or less, up to 20% for those earning 100K-200K, up to 15% for those earning over 200K.

The link below has a list of players that meet the 28/8 criteria (which is at least 28 years old and 8 years of MLS service). I can't vouch for the accuracy of the list or whether the players have contracts that expire after the season.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2015/7/17/8259223/mls-salaries-potential-free-agents-2015-2016

There are 5 NYCFC players on the list at that site: Ballouchy, Grabavoy, Hernandez, Saunders, Wingert.

It should be noted that MLS "owns" all players rights and the normal contract lengths in "four years." So unless a player is "out-of-contract" the free agency doesn't apply. I believe Wingert just finished his 12th professional season so he would be a "free agent."

Reactions: Kjbert