Shay Facey Loan Extended To 2018 ... Or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to Facey - If he is one of the starting CBs next year - would everyone be happy with that?

You have to think that these guys who are on loan aren't here to sit the bench and train. They are here to play.

I'm okay with it under two big conditions:

1. A decision is made regarding who will be the 2 starting CBs early in training camp and they are played together consistently from the start to allow them to build the required understanding of each other.
2. If it's Facey we need height on the field in other CB spot and a few more spots else where to help with set pieces other offensively and defensively. Some combination of taller LB, CDM or second striker could work.

The second one is going to be hard. It makes me wonder what the long term plan is for Facey. CFG can't possibly be expecting to roll out a 5'9" CB in the EPL can they? Switching to a FB or CDM seems like a much better option if EPL is the end goal for Facey. He struggled at LB this season but I wouldn't rule it out. I think he can play there in the right system. In the Kries narrow diamond system the LB and RB play a large part on offense to provide width in the attack. Facey's offensive game is too limited for that. Assuming Angelino is game I think Facey could play at LB focusing on staying back with the defense allowing Iraola to join the attack on the other side.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm okay with it under two big conditions:

1. A decision is made regarding who will be the 2 starting CBs early in training camp and they are played together consistently from the start to allow them to build the required understanding of each other.
2. If it's Facey we need height on the field in other CB spot and a few more spots else where to help with set pieces other offensively and defensively. Some combination of taller LB, CDM or second striker could work.

The second one is going to be hard. It makes me wonder what the long term plan is for Facey. CFG can't possibly be expecting to roll out a 5'9" CB in the EPL can they? Switching to a FB or CDM seems like a much better option if EPL is the end goal for Facey. He struggled at LB this season but I wouldn't rule it out. I think he can play there in the right system. In the Kries narrow diamond system the LB and RB play a large part on offense to provide width in the attack. Facey's offensive game is too limited for that. Assuming Angelino is game I think Facey could play at LB focusing on staying back with the defense allowing Iraola to join the attack on the other side.

Facey was always a RB. He only played CB for NYCFC because of necessity. I'm not sure if MCFC would want him to remain in the centre.

Reactions: joe and Kjbert
If anyone is still responding to every Kreis thread with the level of anger you have been about Lampard, at the one year mark of his firing, you will be the winner and king of the board, ok?
No, they have to keep it up for as long as you have for you to get the crown.
Does she have tantrums too where she screams the same thing over and over no matter what anyone says?
Reading these with my current ignore settings was really confusing. ;)

Facey was always a RB. He only played CB for NYCFC because of necessity. I'm not sure if MCFC would want him to remain in the centre.

From what I know he played cb for eds. Kries pushed him to the outside. Facey even said during an interview in May that his natural position is cb:

“A league as competitive as MLS is is really pushing me and hopefully at some point I’ll move to central [defense] because that’s my preferred playing position, but for now no matter where I play the experience I’m gaining is massive.”

Full article here
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/...tarting-settle-and-team-hopes-keep-him-around

Reading these with my current ignore settings was really confusing. ;)
5s.gif

That's perplexing because he was a disaster at RB for NYCFC. And preseason, everything I read about him said he was a CB, so I'm not sure where the disconnect was.

Reactions: gbservis
That's perplexing because he was a disaster at RB for NYCFC. And preseason, everything I read about him said he was a CB, so I'm not sure where the disconnect was.
Even more perplexing is how he could be at a top academy as a fullback and not be exposed until he got to MLS. Because make no mistake, he was really poor at fullback.

Some of that, I will grant him, was due to our shitty stationary midfield in front of him (hey Grabavoy and we were still regularly playing Nemec) because he would dribble up and look to hang back, but no one tried to show for the ball except Mix. He never got to play fullback with Mix in front of him, I don't think. I think that would have been better, but I believe we were playing Mix as an LCM or paired with AJ in the middle and he was preoccupied with coving for Brosky.

Eta PS - no one will be happier the Bro is gone than me. I still rate him as one of the worst MLS players I've ever seen and he made $115 for us. Jesus wept.

Even more perplexing is how he could be at a top academy as a fullback and not be exposed until he got to MLS. Because make no mistake, he was really poor at fullback.

Some of that, I will grant him, was due to our shitty stationary midfield in front of him (hey Grabavoy and we were still regularly playing Nemec) because he would dribble up and look to hang back, but no one tried to show for the ball except Mix. He never got to play fullback with Mix in front of him, I don't think. I think that would have been better, but I believe we were playing Mix as an LCM or paired with AJ in the middle and he was preoccupied with coving for Brosky.

Eta PS - no one will be happier the Bro is gone than me. I still rate him as one of the worst MLS players I've ever seen and he made $115 for us. Jesus wept.

From what I know he played cb for eds. Kries pushed him to the outside. Facey even said during an interview in May that his natural position is cb:

“A league as competitive as MLS is is really pushing me and hopefully at some point I’ll move to central [defense] because that’s my preferred playing position, but for now no matter where I play the experience I’m gaining is massive.”

Full article here
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/...tarting-settle-and-team-hopes-keep-him-around

Feel like gbservis gbservis's last post more or less cleared this up. There are a couple of random articles saying he can play in either position but in the modern game they're really such different roles that it doesn't make sense.

He's only 20. Still time for a growth spurt, right? And failing that, I feel like Gary Medel is an amazing wombat of a central defender who's listed at 5'7". Mascherano's 5'9". Shay is nowhere near as adept a reader of the game as either of them, but I don't know that we should be ruling him out.

No, it's not.

When they say "Move on" it implies "move on from how you feel..."

Considering one of those quotes is from "Your honest thoughts about CFG?" -- how could they possibly mean "there's other things to talk about beyond CFG/Lampard"? The topic of discussion is how you feel about CFG!

Don't ever imply what I mean. I'll spell it out for your persistent ass.....STOP BEING A WHINY LITTLE BITCH MOANING ABOUT OWNERSHIP EVERY CHANCE YOU GET!!!!!!

what the hell?
Ignore everybody and one can easily have self-fulfilling & reassuring chats with one's self without the clutter of the cheap seats chiming in. Would actually be an interesting experiment to be a member of a forum, with everybody else ignored, and post your own deep-thoughts...... everybody else would be an outside-the-box audience member to musings and ramblings. This in turn would probably land "you" on their ignore lists and only unregistered lurkers would see anything, which would obviously conflict & contradict without any uniform threading.

If I ignored everyone who doesn't ignore everyone I do ignore I would end up ignoring everyone.

Plus I'd miss out on the ensuing cryptic prose poems that result from reading one-sided conversations.
And this is why you have the duty of telling me when it's safe again. You understand the delicate balance between entertainment and crossing the tipping point from amusing distraction into frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.