SKC Postmatch

I'm content . It wasn't perfect performance wise but it is more or less perfect result wise. 2-0 on the road to a team that rarely loses at home or concedes more than one.

One thing i find frustrating at times with this team is that we show for stretches that we can utterly dominate and keep possession and then all of sudden it looks like they forget how to play for stretches as well. About twenty minutes into the match they showed the stat that we had 72 percent possession and then as if by jinx KC basically dominates the next several minutes but then we score seemingly against the current at that point. It's funny old game.

Villa should have passed and we all know what play I'm talking about but I'm still overall happy with his play and his assist for Maxi was very nice. I was quite well pleased with it.

If Medina can play and finish like this on a regular basis he'll justify the dp designation

Hate to miss Chanot next week I think we actually have 3/4 of a sold back line now

giphy.gif

The first ten minutes were so exciting, seeing us toy with a frightened SKC.

It seems ungrateful to criticize Villa after he provided an assist, but he's clearly a bit rusty. I think we'll still get a great season out of him; knock wood that he stays fit.

Really happy with Tinnerholm, bombing deep and being maybe a little needlessly aggressive at times. Like others have said, amazing to actually have a right back.

I don't remember Ben Sweat being that fast!

Medina! Lots of skill, seems calm, very exciting. Definitely a huge upgrade on Jack.

Ring, again, is such a delight. At least tonight his shot was on target.

I got seriously disoriented when Mata came on, seeing him and Sweat both on the left. Do you think PV made a deal to play him as a winger sometimes? Or perhaps frequently?

Bummed about the Chanot suspension, obviously. Curious to see if there's any appeal.

I think NYCFC might be set up to play the role of the heel this season. The guys seemed to enjoy winding up the SKC supporters with "time management" and slow-rolling subs, and being aggressive... I'll take it. The villain is a pretty good part.

giphy.gif

The first ten minutes were so exciting, seeing us toy with a frightened SKC.

It seems ungrateful to criticize Villa after he provided an assist, but he's clearly a bit rusty. I think we'll still get a great season out of him; knock wood that he stays fit.

Really happy with Tinnerholm, bombing deep and being maybe a little needlessly aggressive at times. Like others have said, amazing to actually have a right back.

I don't remember Ben Sweat being that fast!

Medina! Lots of skill, seems calm, very exciting. Definitely a huge upgrade on Jack.

Ring, again, is such a delight. At least tonight his shot was on target.

I got seriously disoriented when Mata came on, seeing him and Sweat both on the left. Do you think PV made a deal to play him as a winger sometimes? Or perhaps frequently?

Bummed about the Chanot suspension, obviously. Curious to see if there's any appeal.

I think NYCFC might be set up to play the role of the heel this season. The guys seemed to enjoy winding up the SKC supporters with "time management" and slow-rolling subs, and being aggressive... I'll take it. The villain is a pretty good part.
its not the first time we have play him as a lw. makes a lot of sense from a defensive standpoint.

Only question is if it is worth an appeal week 1.

plz keep medina on the right side
Regardless of the mrits, I think it's a tough sell to win an appeal after VAR based on penalizing the wrong guy. Penalizing the right guy is one of the few things VAR is supposed to fix. They will be reluctant to over turn. And yes, not worth it this early.

Also, maybe most importantly, I would almost never use an appeal where the best case scenario is a different player gets suspended. Not unless it's a question of Villa or Mikey Lopez, or something of that magnitude. I love Chanot, but he's not so much better than Tinnerholm that it is worth using up one of our very limited appeals on it.

Pretty easy to see why Tinnerholm was a fan-favorite in Sweden -- that guy has one hell of a motor.

Surprised no one is talking about Moralez -- he was immense tonight. Dude was everywhere.

SKC looked awful offensively. No ideas.

On Matarrita, I wonder if PV decided he didn't want both fullbacks bombing forward against this team, so he chose Tinnerholm with Mata coming off the bench. I'm sure we'll see those two together at times.

Medina's a really exciting player, so glad he opened his account -- he had a great shift.

This is a good team, folks. A very good team.

Anyone care to provide ratings? I caught the last 30 minutes on the radio driving through the sticks of North Carolina.

Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan what we're some of your player specific thoughts?

Anyone care to provide ratings? I caught the last 30 minutes on the radio driving through the sticks of North Carolina.

Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan what we're some of your player specific thoughts?
Herrera has got to get better to be an 8 for us, or anyone. He was horrible.

Sweat still doesn’t defend.

Villa looked his age, for the first time ever. Maybe it’s an anomaly.

Ring and Callens are boss and save us tons of goals.

Wallace will keep his place for a while.

ETA:
Surprised no one is talking about Moralez -- he was immense tonight. Dude was everywhere.
This is kind of right. I think he was probably our best player. He did well not dropping so damn deep and his touches and dribbling are still the cleanest on the team.

Last edited:
Just watched on delay. Great start. Never in serious danger but we do need to hold onto the ball late and kill the game better.

Medina strong
Maxi strong
Chanot was studly. Red was soft but not criminal
Yangel not so good. Looked winded and bad giveaways
Sweat justified his inclusion
Callens and Ring their usual selves
Tinnerholm a major upgrade
Rodney neutral
Villa mixed (for him)

Salloi and Croizet were the only factors for them.
Zusi sucks
Meola sucks
Dellacamera sucks slightly less (learn the names of the defenders on both sides, ffs!)

No major complaints here. This was a radically different experience than we saw in preseason.

Regardless of the mrits, I think it's a tough sell to win an appeal after VAR based on penalizing the wrong guy. Penalizing the right guy is one of the few things VAR is supposed to fix. They will be reluctant to over turn. And yes, not worth it this early.

Also, maybe most importantly, I would almost never use an appeal where the best case scenario is a different player gets suspended. Not unless it's a question of Villa or Mikey Lopez, or something of that magnitude. I love Chanot, but he's not so much better than Tinnerholm that it is worth using up one of our very limited appeals on it.
What do you mean wrong guy? It’s only DOGSO if there is no one else there to defend. We had two there, ergo, no DOGSO.

It’s not a mistaken identity. It’s ignoring another defender right on the scene.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Sweat always does something to keep himself in the lineup. Right side looks locked up now. Villa definitely looked a little off. Hopefully Medina takes the pressure off him a bit. Can't see where else the goals are gonna come from outside of them plus Maxi. Yangel was the weakest link tonight. Overall, a very solid first game. At full strength, when this team gets going, they will be very strong this year. I like what I see.

Missed the game, but just watched the highlights. The run up to Medina’s goal was seriously beautiful.

What was the context of this?

http://www.goal.com/en/news/david-v...gend-enrique-castro/mnunjtsqeofh14yu7emmewm2d

What do you mean wrong guy? It’s only DOGSO if there is no one else there to defend. We had two there, ergo, no DOGSO.

I'll disclaimer this first by saying that I crashed at half-time so I have no idea what the positioning of the players was, but I'll say that DOGSO is slightly more nuanced than just "if there is another defender there". It's more about if the referee believes another defender would be able to intercept the attacking player before he takes his shot. If Tinny wasn't going to get across in time - or if it would be tight - then it's probably still going to be DOGSO.

All that isn't to say that Geiger didn't make a poor decision, but that is the condition he has to consider, and remember that in 50-50 decisions you pretty much always favour the attacker...

Last edited:
Well I know nothing about football after predicting the 2-0 scoreline the other way.

Good win though !!