#StartEirik

Just a thought but does anyone know how many yellows Saunders has now (he's not listed in any of the stats pages I could find)? He got another one at Portland, and I can't imagine he won't get enough to get a one-game suspension at least once this season.

He has two. For some reason, the MLS site doesn't show foul information for goalkeepers. The FoxSports site actually has a very nice statistics page for the MLS teams.

There is also this thread.

http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/2016-yellow-card-accumulation.4456/

Reactions: joe
Just a thought but does anyone know how many yellows Saunders has now (he's not listed in any of the stats pages I could find)? He got another one at Portland, and I can't imagine he won't get enough to get a one-game suspension at least once this season.
I think it's two, but it could be three.

According to the MLS web site, the yellows against DCU and Portland are the only two Saunders has this season.

Any keeper who allows 7 goals HAS to sit out the next match. If nothing else, to at least state to the team and the public/league who's watching that results like that are unacceptable.

Yeah the whole team is at fault including saunders, it would have been at least a bit more understandable is RBNJ got off 30-40 shots this game, but they had maybe 10 and 7 weren't saved, meaning the one part of saunders game we liked, his superb reaction saves is also fading rendering saunders kinda useless. We need to try Johansen, and if he isn't the upgrade we need, we look over the summer for a decent goalkeeper. GK is the one position Americans are actually generally good at on the highest levels so we can find one here that would be much better than saunders.

Yeah the whole team is at fault including saunders, it would have been at least a bit more understandable is RBNJ got off 30-40 shots this game, but they had maybe 10 and 7 weren't saved, meaning the one part of saunders game we liked, his superb reaction saves is also fading rendering saunders kinda useless. We need to try Johansen, and if he isn't the upgrade we need, we look over the summer for a decent goalkeeper. GK is the one position Americans are actually generally good at on the highest levels so we can find one here that would be much better than saunders.
For some strange and unexplainable reason I think there are many who won't like this, but I honestly feel that Saunders was almost not at all responsible for that loss. I was at the match and felt that way and then I watched it when I got home after having my spirits lifted by the Mets winning on a clutch David Wright walk-off single. I put this one squarely on the defense. Saunders had no chance on most of those. If the keeper's near the post on a corner kick and a header puts it into the far corner the blame's on the defender who didn't mark the attacker. It's not like most of those goals yesterday were stoppable by Saunders (or any keeper for that matter). He didn't miss any saves or make any horrendous gaffes in net, and there was only one of the goals where I thought he might've been able to get a hand on the ball and didn't. But even that one was a "reasonable" goal to let in. Would've been a great save if he could've made it but it wasn't at all his fault that it did get in.

It could be argued that perhaps he could have positioned himself better to have been able to stop some of those goals, but if we go down that road we'd be here for years going back and forth on it as it's purely speculative. Times like these I wish there was a "shots that could not possibly have been saved" stat. So it's not that the one part of his game we like wasn't there today, it's more that it just wasn't even possible to have been there in the first place.

Not saying Saunders should be the hero for this match, just saying he's not the goat either.

For some strange and unexplainable reason I think there are many who won't like this, but I honestly feel that Saunders was almost not at all responsible for that loss. I was at the match and felt that way and then I watched it when I got home after having my spirits lifted by the Mets winning on a clutch David Wright walk-off single. I put this one squarely on the defense. Saunders had no chance on most of those. If the keeper's near the post on a corner kick and a header puts it into the far corner the blame's on the defender who didn't mark the attacker. It's not like most of those goals yesterday were stoppable by Saunders (or any keeper for that matter). He didn't miss any saves or make any horrendous gaffes in net, and there was only one of the goals where I thought he might've been able to get a hand on the ball and didn't. But even that one was a "reasonable" goal to let in. Would've been a great save if he could've made it but it wasn't at all his fault that it did get in.

It could be argued that perhaps he could have positioned himself better to have been able to stop some of those goals, but if we go down that road we'd be here for years going back and forth on it as it's purely speculative. Times like these I wish there was a "shots that could not possibly have been saved" stat. So it's not that the one part of his game we like wasn't there today, it's more that it just wasn't even possible to have been there in the first place.

Not saying Saunders should be the hero for this match, just saying he's not the goat either.
Oh FFS. Stop trying to use your stats to justify things. Being a keeper is ALL about positioning. Standing at the front post on a corner kick is wrong per u-7 coaching - it's taught that early that it's easier to move forward than to back-peddle. It's shit like that which dooms Saunders to give up goals. It's his inability to see that a player he's passing it to is tightly covered or they have nowhere to go when the ball is received - tactics be damned it's in those situations when a big kick is needed. It's his inability to even pass to a teammate - instead he gives up throws deep in our territory which can be hurled into the box.

The only stat that matters is 9 shots on goal resulting in 7 goals. A keeper is worthless if his save percentage is 22%. Since you like numbers and stats so much, those are the numbers you should focus on. That and how many times he was not positioned correctly.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gavin23
Oh FFS. Stop trying to use your stats to justify things. Being a keeper is ALL about positioning. Standing at the front post on a corner kick is wrong per u-7 coaching - it's taught that early that it's easier to move forward than to back-peddle. It's shit like that which dooms Saunders to give up goals. It's his inability to see that a player he's passing it to is tightly covered or they have nowhere to go when the ball is received - tactics be damned it's in those situations when a big kick is needed. It's his inability to even pass to a teammate - instead he gives up throws deep in our territory which can be hurled into the box.

The only stat that matters is 9 shots on goal resulting in 7 goals. A keeper is worthless if his save percentage is 22%. Since you like numbers and stats so much, those are the numbers you should focus on. That and how many times he was not positioned correctly.
Look, Saunders makes mistakes but when 5' 0" DAX fucking McCarty is getting MULTIPLE UNCONTESTED HEADERS thats not the GK's fault.

There were maybe, MAYBE 1 or 2 he MAYBE could have stopped on a good day but what about the other fucking 5?

Also, its pretty fucking hard to win when your own team doesn't score a single goddamn goal.

Reactions: canchon and Kjbert
Look, Saunders makes mistakes but when 5' 0" DAX fucking McCarty is getting MULTIPLE UNCONTESTED HEADERS thats not the GK's fault.

There were maybe, MAYBE 1 or 2 he MAYBE could have stopped on a good day but what about the other fucking 5?

Also, its pretty fucking hard to win when your own team doesn't score a single goddamn goal.
You're wrong on so many levels, but refrain from the profanity if you're going to respond to me. It's hard enough to take your responses seriously on a normal day, but adding unnecessary color adds nothing to back up your opinion(s), and it tempts me to block you every time.

Reactions: Gavin23