The 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs

One thing I also just realized this morning. There has been a ton of applauding the new playoff format for the single elimination games. And when the games were as exciting as they were this past weekend, it definitely helps.

But, realistically, nothing has changed yet. The first round of games were always single elimination. Its when we get to the conference semi-finals that they had been home/away series in the past that are now single elimination. There is just one more playoff game in each conference for the first round this time around.
I think the difference is we never had the best teams in single elimination games until the final. Under this format, we saw 2 seeds Atlanta and especially Seattle get pushed hard in close end-to-end games, and now can anticipate LAFC and NYCFC facing the same, while Atlanta and Seattle get to go through it again in just 4 days.

I think the difference is we never had the best teams in single elimination games until the final. Under this format, we saw 2 seeds Atlanta and especially Seattle get pushed hard in close end-to-end games, and now can anticipate LAFC and NYCFC facing the same, while Atlanta and Seattle get to go through it again in just 4 days.
Also puts an extreme amount of importance on winning the conference and not simply qualifying for the postseason. We win it all with three quality performances with the possibility of all at home (if LAFC loses in the next two rounds) while any other spot needs 4 matches.

I’ll take one less roll of the dice any day.

Despite the heartbreak last night...

who is excited to watch El Trafico tonight? late game, but i'm going to stay up for it. Going to be a wild ride of past games are any indication and if i'm being honest, watching LAFC lose would make me feel a little better.

Reactions: Victors87

who is excited to watch El Trafico tonight? late game, but i'm going to stay up for it. Going to be a wild ride of past games are any indication and if i'm being honest, watching LAFC lose would make me feel a little better.

Agreed, if LAFC lose maybe MLS will think that 3 weeks off is bullshit for the team that wins the conference.

Agreed, if LAFC lose maybe MLS will think that 3 weeks off is bullshit for the team that wins the conference.

Exactly my thoughts. But we have the Fifa break to consider, so there's not a whole lot they can do about that except hold the playoffs during the fifa break, which means some teams, like ours, will be without a lot of players.

If anything, I think they should change the playoffs to get rid of the bye. yea it's nice to have more rest, but as we saw, it can create rust. have all teams start up again after the break so everyone is starting back up at the same time. similar amount of rust.

top 4 of each conference battle it out, single elimination, higher seed hosts. 1 v 4, 2 v 3. 2 rounds and the final. done and done. makes the regular season more meaningful and playoffs quick and dirty.

Reactions: Ulrich
3 weeks off versus 2 weeks and 3 days off and 2 games in 4 days.

I understand we lost last night, but I will, every time, taking the 3 weeks off.

We have lost in the same round 4 years in a row under almost every conceivable schedule configuration. It’s not the schedule, and yes, I will take the bye and extra time every chance I get.

Last edited:

Everyone was praising the first weekend as if they new playoff format made a difference (it was irrelevant, we always started with a knockout round.) But now we are really starting to see the fruits of the new format. We have had playoff knockout games in four of the past six days. Amazing. Then we'll take five days off and have the knockout conference finals. The density of this tournament is way better than the old format.

Although I will say the brevity of the tournament makes it feel like I'll weigh the regular season results slightly heavier when evaluating the entire season. I really think we need trophies for each conference or (in the future) divisions.

In fact, I'd gladly sacrifice a couple regular season games if it means we can expand the other competitions, namely, the CCL and the Leagues Cup. I would love to see group stages in both. I would even like to see a group stage in the MLS postseason, but I think that's unlikely. I just love group stages.

I want to watch el trafico. But I don’t think I can. Same way i don’t give a crap about the WS now that the yanks are out. Think I’ll just drown myself in some football, hockey and basketball the next few weeks as I try to process this.

I want to watch el trafico. But I don’t think I can. Same way i don’t give a crap about the WS now that the yanks are out. Think I’ll just drown myself in some football, hockey and basketball the next few weeks as I try to process this.
My kid and I were just talking about this as we were watching the Rangers game and avoiding the Atlanta Philly game. Too soon.

My kid and I were just talking about this as we were watching the Rangers game and avoiding the Atlanta Philly game. Too soon.

Yeah -- that's how I feel about the World Series after the Yankees' elimination. I'm watching MLS even after yesterday, but I haven't seen anything more than a highlight from the World Series.

Reactions: adam and JayH
Galaxy are doing their thing. Let's go zlatan!
It's like a mirror of last night's first half

Last edited:
You know what really pissed me off after watching the Atlanta game? They play with this attitude, this swagger. They KNEW they were winning that game. There was no doubt.

We played our game last night with so much doubt. We played like we were scared of losing. Second best team in the league, best team in the East, and in the biggest game we doubted ourselves. Infuriating.

Exactly. We should play like we are the best and are having fun being the best. Confidence and attitude. Maybe it would have helped if we were in Yankee stadium. Maybe getting pushed out of our home was enough to rattle them a bit. Who knows.

Lafc turning it up. It's game on now. Zlatan is quiet so far. Hope he turns it up second half and sends lafc packing

I can't stand the way twellman talked about us at halftime. Argh.

Apparently Reyna is possibly out the door too? Wtf is goin on?

I think he said Reyna might be out too, but he wants to come back...? Implying he might get fired? Not clear. He also said Gio van Bronckhorst will be the new manager, he thinks

I saw someone else say this on twitter and I agree for the most part: I’d rather not have VAR than have it in its current form.

Many of you know I’m a proponent of VAR, but it’s current use in this league is atrocious. Some calls are microscopically analyzed (this part was probably foreseen), whereas some clear overturnable calls aren’t reviewed whatsoever.

Something here needs to be done to fix this