Toronto (Home, Playoffs) - Postmatch

Ring seemed to confirm that the first half wasn’t a tactics issue. Instead he did indeed seem distraught that his teammates came out and played so poorly in such a big moment.

yup. intensity was the issue. everyone was standing around. i was screaming "wake up" from my seat the entire first half. i'm sure no one heard me, but i sure got a lot of weird looks from the people around me.. not sure why. they should have joined me.

yup. intensity was the issue. everyone was standing around. i was screaming "wake up" from my seat the entire first half. i'm sure no one heard me, but i sure got a lot of weird looks from the people around me.. not sure why. they should have joined me.
And they had the nervous yips. It was like they were playing while dizzy.

And they had the nervous yips. It was like they were playing while dizzy.

kinda like what others have said... we have a problem showing up to the big show. not sure why that is... i never understood that the nervous yips either. but i guess it's a thing and it effects this club, not just this team since it's happening even after so many players have changed out.

Reactions: Ulrich and JayH
kinda like what others have said... we have a problem showing up to the big show. not sure why that is... i never understood that the nervous yips either. but i guess it's a thing and it effects this club, not just this team since it's happening even after so many players have changed out.

I was watching Atlanta earlier, they played with this incredible swagger. NYCFC looked scared to lose. No confidence that their ability and skill would win the day.

I was watching Atlanta earlier, they played with this incredible swagger. NYCFC looked scared to lose. No confidence that their ability and skill would win the day.
And LAFC despite some scares showed up ready to slay their dragon. Up 2 goals in the first half like a team who's been so good throughout the season does. Like I said, sword in hand ready for war unlike us.
It's getting old saying the same shit over and over and over again. We melt away when there's high pressure big games. We should have made it to the final. Period. There's no excuse.

And LAFC despite some scares showed up ready to slay their dragon. Up 2 goals in the first half like a team who's been so good throughout the season does. Like I said, sword in hand ready for war unlike us.
It's getting old saying the same shit over and over and over again. We melt away when there's high pressure big games. We should have made it to the final. Period. There's no excuse.
We had some big performances in big matches this year - Atlanta and Red Bulls at home come to mind. They weren't playoffs but given our past performances in those kinds of matches, I think it's fair to say that we've made some improvement when it comes to high pressure games. That makes me wonder whether nerves or yips are really an adequate explanation. Are playoffs really that different?

One thing that I've noticed in the past about this club is that the party line when it comes to derbies or high profile regular season matches is "it's just another 3 points". Obviously that mindset doesn't apply to the playoffs. So if our method of coping with nerves for high pressure regular season games is to play down the occasion in a way that doesn't map to play off situations, it might do us well to find a different approach.

Every other home team won by multiple goals. What a fucking choke job by NYCFC.

Losing in the first round of the playoffs four years running is a mentality issue, period. Doesn’t matter the format (we’ve had them all - two legs, single knockout, hosting the first game, hosting the second game, playing after winning in the knockout round, having a first round bye)...there is a serious problem here.

Even the 20+ year perennial losers across the river get out of the first round some years.

Seven conference semi-final round playoff games - one win and six losses. And the one game they did win - they were still eliminated. Every. Damn. Year.

Last edited:
^^^

The team showed a lot of improvement this season in big games and in fighting back from a deficit, but the Toronto match was still typical City in a lot of ways.

I really think the 18-day layoff did us a lot of harm. I think it explains why the first half was so bad and the second half so much better.

I think the same was true of LAFC last night, by the way. Yes, they went up 2-0, but both goals were against the run of play. The Galaxy dominated possession in the first half.

Everything I wanted to say has been said here ten times over so instead I'll just say that the pork sandwich and corn bread I had from the BBQ place next to Shake Shack was pretty damn good.
I got the Pastrami and forced everyone else around me to get it too. I got to the counter and the guy pulled out a brand new brisket and sliced off a nice chunk of the end for me to eat before carving for my sandwich. I was in heaven.

Every other home team won by multiple goals. What a fucking choke job by NYCFC.

Losing in the first round of the playoffs four years running is a mentality issue, period. Doesn’t matter the format (we’ve had them all - two legs, single knockout, hosting the first game, hosting the second game, playing after winning in the knockout round, having a first round bye)...there is a serious problem here.

Even the 20+ year perennial losers across the river get out of the first round some years.

Seven first round playoff games - one win and six losses. And the one game they did win - they were still eliminated. Every. Damn. Year.

The team is 2-6 in the playoffs - you omit the first round win last year against Philadelphia. Stellar? No, but facts are facts.

I got the Pastrami and forced everyone else around me to get it too. I got to the counter and the guy pulled out a brand new brisket and sliced off a nice chunk of the end for me to eat before carving for my sandwich. I was in heaven.

shame it couldn’t make the 18. We needed that Pastrami Sandwich.

Overall playoff contests we are 1-4, total playoff games (fixtures) we are 2-6.

Both terrible records, let's just leave it at that.
Any definition of game that allows the the winner to be devastated and the loser ecstatic is a useless definition of game. We did not win 2-0 over Columbus in 2017. We lost a single contest 4-3 and both sides played accordingly. When neither side cares who "won" there is no winning or losing.

ETA: Seriously and I'm not being pedantic or contentious because I'm salty over Wednesday. Do people really think we won something that night against Columbus? Do people think we accomplished something that Columbus tried to prevent? That's completely incomprehensible to me and and absolute elevation of form over substance.

Double ETA: Apologies to Schwallacus Schwallacus who made it clear that he didn't want an argument. I also have no interest in arguing. I do find the opposing view beyond comprehension.

Last edited:
Club culture issue.

CFG seems to sterilize the outward personalities of their players - it’s always the company line with measured responses. MCFC at least has a demigod personality in Pep, and his team plays to his restrained, but highly confident, arrogance (that isn’t arrogant) belief that they’ll win every match they play.

I don’t see that at NYCFC. Even Vierra, who was more outspoken than Dome, was always very neutral like he took a Valium before speaking. Our players, outside of Ring and Tinny, are soft spoken and don’t walk with a chip on their shoulders, but even Ring/Tinny don’t seem to strut and speak with a high energy confidence that the outcome is never going to be in doubt.

Maybe they’re different behind closed doors and in practice, but if so, it doesn’t translate to an every-game attitude on the field.

I hate bringing up Marsch, but the image of him on the sideline always spinning his arm for more intensity (even when already destroying the opposition) is the stepping on the neck type of attitude that NYCFC is sorely missing.

Any definition of game that allows the the winner to be devastated and the loser ecstatic is a useless definition of game. We did not win 2-0 over Columbus in 2017. We lost a single contest 4-3 and both sides played accordingly. When neither side cares who "won" there is no winning or losing.

ETA: Seriously and I'm not being pedantic or contentious because I'm salty over Wednesday. Do people really think we won something that night against Columbus? Do people think we accomplished something that Columbus tried to prevent? That's completely incomprehensible to me and and absolute elevation of form over substance.

Double ETA: Apologies to Schwallacus Schwallacus who made it clear that he didn't want an argument. I also have no interest in arguing. I do find the opposing view beyond comprehension.
No worries Garbo, I'm still a Garbowiac. I agree that it shouldn't be viewed as a victory, just wanted to say technically he wasn't wrong in saying we had two playoff wins. Kind of makes it funnier (re: sarcasm, it's just sad) that we have two wins, yet only one of them counted.

The team is 2-6 in the playoffs - you omit the first round win last year against Philadelphia. Stellar? No, but facts are facts.

fine, call it 1-6 in conference semi-final round playoff games. Facts are facts.

Winning a knockout round game to get to the conference semi final round game because you were not good enough to get placed directly in that round is not as meaningful.

Club culture issue.

CFG seems to sterilize the outward personalities of their players - it’s always the company line with measured responses. MCFC at least has a demigod personality in Pep, and his team plays to his restrained, but highly confident, arrogance (that isn’t arrogant) belief that they’ll win every match they play.

I don’t see that at NYCFC. Even Vierra, who was more outspoken than Dome, was always very neutral like he took a Valium before speaking. Our players, outside of Ring and Tinny, are soft spoken and don’t walk with a chip on their shoulders, but even Ring/Tinny don’t seem to strut and speak with a high energy confidence that the outcome is never going to be in doubt.

Maybe they’re different behind closed doors and in practice, but if so, it doesn’t translate to an every-game attitude on the field.

I hate bringing up Marsch, but the image of him on the sideline always spinning his arm for more intensity (even when already destroying the opposition) is the stepping on the neck type of attitude that NYCFC is sorely missing.

I dunno. The way Ring talks he definitely shows a confidence. But, he didn't have any issues playing on Wed. He was one of the very few who showed up from the start. Parks had the nerve to say "TFC have a strong midfield, but ours is better" and then step onto the field and allow our "better" midfield to get trampled. *shakes head*.

As a team, we don't play with personality consistently. Sometimes we do, but other times we fall off the planet. There doesn't seem to be any definite reason I can come up with for it. But I sure as hell hope such an embarrassing loss will help them address it for next season.