Update On My Call With Nycfc Regarding The Jersey And Team Identity

ghobs

Registered
Nov 17, 2014
Hey guys, just got off the phone with Dan Steeves, director of fan services at NYCFC. I mentioned that I had questions for him from the community, which he thought was awesome, and the responses are below.

The Jersey: He mentioned that they have indeed gotten a lot of feedback about the jersey, and that they're fully aware of the resemblance to Man City's jersey. He said that the light blue aspect of the jersey has been known to be the identity of the team from the early stages, and that part will be staying.

His explanation for the jersey was that they wanted to start with a design that was basic enough to have room for improvement and expansion as time goes on, rather than coming out with something with too much going on and not having much room for change. It sounded to me like it was meant to be a basic template that they'll be expanding on over time.

In regards to Etihad being the jersey sponsor, he said that while they don't have a large US presence right now, they're dedicated to expanding greatly in the states, and are both an MLS and NYCFC sponsor. He also said that Etihad's deal was the best one they were offered, so they felt it was a good move.

He did mention that they've gotten a decent amount of feedback asking to incorporate the orange from the logo into the jersey's accents, and that they're keeping that in mind with the design of the 2nd jerseys that are coming.

Stadium Location: No final decisions as to which borough they're leaning towards for the SSS. He emphasized the fact that NYCFC is very focused on making sure they've picked the absolute best spot they can for the team and fans, in terms of accessibility, cost, etc. Seeing as how this will quite possibly be the last new sports team to launch in NY for quite some time, they don't want to make any sort of announcements until that's all finalized.

DP3: No info as to whether it would be a foreign or domestic player, all he could say was that they're leaning towards an attacking player for this spot.

Yankees involvement: He said that the Yankees are just as involved as Man City are, but more so with things like the scouting network, which has been very important and helpful for the team.

Potential Reddit AMA: When I mentioned doing an AMA he said that he had heard of Reddit, but wasn't too sure how it worked. After explaining to him how Reddit and AMAs work, he said he'd love to speak with the marketing department and work on doing an AMA soon.

If there are any questions I missed, he encourages anyone here to reach out to him at Dan.Steeves@nycfc.com, or FanServices@nycfc.com.

Goods stuff man, I would advice against a reddit ama. The amount of hate for all things NYCFC and the active desire to see the team fail and go out of business on reddit is borderline insane. I would advise to stick to the /r/ NYCFC sub.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
Thanks for posting over here. Lots of good info that I knew would be appreciated.

A reddit AMA may not be a great idea as many have said. And /r/nycfc is too small.

Gene Gene reddit is a news aggregate site that has turned into a giant forum. The news is no linger as popular or important and the comments section. AMA is an 'ask me anything' which is a reddit style interview where the OP would dedicate 30 min to an hour to ask any question the users post.

Thanks.

It's been my experience over the years that this type of forum (privately operated) is the best to participate in. Sure, it's going to get wild in here from time to time, but at least the people in charge are more on top of things and will rein in guys when it really gets out of hand.

That sort of reddit set up looks like a total cluster**** waiting to happen......if it isn't already so

Thanks.

It's been my experience over the years that this type of forum (privately operated) is the best to participate in. Sure, it's going to get wild in here from time to time, but at least the people in charge are more on top of things and will rein in guys when it really gets out of hand.

That sort of reddit set up looks like a total cluster**** waiting to happen......if it isn't already so
Yeah...Reddit is millions of users with millions of unique hits a day. Once you get the hang of it though it's real easy to decipher....kinda like the Matrix only no where near as cool.

xG3OKBo.gif

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
Nicely done ghobs ghobs!

I know we have been harping on the jerseys but it's good to recognize that it is still only 1 part of the fan experience.
Many of us want to seize the opportunity to be interested and engaged with the club from the beginning. They encourage it and your questions are a great example of that.

Good stuff, thanks for posting. This basically tells me they know exactly what they're doing and we should calm down and let them do their thing, especially with the jersey.

Hey guys, just got off the phone with Dan Steeves, director of fan services at NYCFC. I mentioned that I had questions for him from the community, which he thought was awesome, and the responses are below.

The Jersey: He mentioned that they have indeed gotten a lot of feedback about the jersey, and that they're fully aware of the resemblance to Man City's jersey. He said that the light blue aspect of the jersey has been known to be the identity of the team from the early stages, and that part will be staying.

His explanation for the jersey was that they wanted to start with a design that was basic enough to have room for improvement and expansion as time goes on, rather than coming out with something with too much going on and not having much room for change. It sounded to me like it was meant to be a basic template that they'll be expanding on over time.

In regards to Etihad being the jersey sponsor, he said that while they don't have a large US presence right now, they're dedicated to expanding greatly in the states, and are both an MLS and NYCFC sponsor. He also said that Etihad's deal was the best one they were offered, so they felt it was a good move.

He did mention that they've gotten a decent amount of feedback asking to incorporate the orange from the logo into the jersey's accents, and that they're keeping that in mind with the design of the 2nd jerseys that are coming.

Stadium Location: No final decisions as to which borough they're leaning towards for the SSS. He emphasized the fact that NYCFC is very focused on making sure they've picked the absolute best spot they can for the team and fans, in terms of accessibility, cost, etc. Seeing as how this will quite possibly be the last new sports team to launch in NY for quite some time, they don't want to make any sort of announcements until that's all finalized.

DP3: No info as to whether it would be a foreign or domestic player, all he could say was that they're leaning towards an attacking player for this spot.

Yankees involvement: He said that the Yankees are just as involved as Man City are, but more so with things like the scouting network, which has been very important and helpful for the team.

Potential Reddit AMA: When I mentioned doing an AMA he said that he had heard of Reddit, but wasn't too sure how it worked. After explaining to him how Reddit and AMAs work, he said he'd love to speak with the marketing department and work on doing an AMA soon.

If there are any questions I missed, he encourages anyone here to reach out to him at Dan.Steeves@nycfc.com, or FanServices@nycfc.com.
So basically nothing is changing

I didnt think anything would change...what would they do? Have a jersey release, people preorder jerseys and then be like "whoops hey sorry"... They'll keep it for at least this season, hopefully next year they switch it up a little.
Yea of course. I just find it funny how they want act like our opinion matters yet there's nothing that can actually be done.

Yea of course. I just find it funny how they want act like our opinion matters yet there's nothing that can actually be done.

Why would the opinion of a small number of people who dont like the kit matter? Its gonna happen with every jersey, some like it some dont. Fact of the matter is , it is sold out. The fans that like it have spoken with their wallet, thats what matters.

Why would the opinion of a small number of people who dont like the kit matter? Its gonna happen with every jersey, some like it some dont. Fact of the matter is , it is sold out. The fans that like it have spoken with their wallet, thats what matters.
Let the record show that I don't mind the new kits

Reactions: AndreT_NY and Paul
wouldnt be a bad spot. but they wanna put homeless shelters there. Kinda a bad image if we displace that....
That is true.

Not a bad spot. but seems big enough to build stadium and residences.

Just my 2 cents. I think the community would be more favorable to a stadium and/or luxury residences than homeless shelters.

Villareal's Stadium

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/32081179.jpg

http://www.zerozero.pt/img/estadios/992/8992_ori_el_madrigal.jpg

http://www.bdfutbol.com/i/c/38.jpg

Or Ipurua Stadium :D where Eibar play.

http://fortunedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/619795241_b4f84d0a02_b.jpg?w=840