Update Tefu Mashamaite Cb -- Signed W/ Another Club

Why would Tefu's agent assist with spin for NYCFC? He flat out blamed the league and had nothing but praise for the club.
That's not what I'm saying, Rox. It's not about helping NYC at all - in the hypothetical situation where Tefu did "fail" his trial, it's about making his client more marketable.

It could be that Tefu *did* fail the trial and NYCFC didn't want him. If that's the case, then it's to the agent's advantage to blame antiquated league rules and not the talent level of his client. You can explain away "NYCFC didn't have cap space" much easier than "NYCFC didn't want him because he wasn't good enough."

I'm not saying that's what happened, but it also wouldn't be the first time an agent spun a bad situation to look better for his client. The club gets nothing by burning the bridge and saying he failed the trial, so it's a low risk move by the agent if that's the case.

I'm just making the argument that we can't totally eliminate the possibility that the team just didn't want him that badly.

It's also possible that we thought we had a plan to get him in under the cap given MLS's byzantine rules, but the league said our structure didn't work.

Hopefully, we can get Gooch in under the cap, and he is still playing well enough to contribute.

Got ya. I think that is highly unlikely though.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/soccer/2015/07/17/Tefu-Mashamaites-New-York-City-move-rejected

Different quote from the agent here. Very much possible that we were trying to trade for more international roster spots and the teams that had them didn't want to continue watching us build a super squad.
The way the Eastern conference looks everyone is in the playoff hunt and there is zero chance anyone would let us add another international spot. That narrows it down to western conference teams and the limited about of teams that have that spot available and aren't looking to use it.

Reactions: roxfontaine

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/soccer/2015/07/17/Tefu-Mashamaites-New-York-City-move-rejected

Different quote from the agent here. Very much possible that we were trying to trade for more international roster spots and the teams that had them didn't want to continue watching us build a super squad.
Well, sure, that's definitely possible.

But the league just passed a rule to allow the LA Galaxy to further their claim as a superclub, so I'm not totally sure it's that the other clubs in the league are out to get us.

Even if it's not that we didn't think Tefu was good enough, it's possible teams wanted an amount of allocation money or talent that Tefu's impact wouldn't justify. (We're probably closer on agreeing on this than we think.)

I just have a hard time taking agents at their word after listening to Drew Rosenhaus on the NFL side for years.

I wonder who the other two players are that we "intended to sign"?
I think it's a safe guess to assume Gooch was one.

Damn. Really disappointing. The guy is coming off of 3 major awards as a defender in PSL. Mena is a huge question mark. I'll root for Mena but can't help but wonder what could have been with Tefu.

Reactions: leilanikali420
I wonder who the other two players are that we "intended to sign"?
I really hope those are americans and/or have green cards because if they thought other teams would allow us to have 13 international spots that's just idiotic. My guess would be Gooch is one of them they wouldn't have him back at practice if there wasn't mutual interest from both partys and now with Tefu out of the equation we could use him for depth at least. He won't/shouldn't command much salary because of his age and injury history. I also think the deal will be more in line with Tefu and be a 6 month contract with a possibility of renegotiating in December.

Damn. Really disappointing. The guy is coming off of 3 major awards as a defender in PSL. Mena is a huge question mark. I'll root for Mena but can't help but wonder what could have been with Tefu.
Plus Tefu was already in the country training with us. He already knows the team and would've made an impact for us much sooner than Mena can.

marky365 marky365 thanks for all the updates. Sorry MLS owners are lame. All the more reason to crush the Kraft's this weekend

I called NYCFC's David Lee and Sam Cooke and both refused to comment on the matter, which could be because they're protecting reputations, public relations, etc. This was yesterday, before we broke the news this morning (Friday morning in SA) that 'MLS blocked the move' – which implies that the MLS would not allow NYCFC to trade for another international slot. (Can they/have they ever done that?)

They've just slightly rewritten our story. Same quotes.

I tend to agree that NYCFC might have tried to buy another international slot and when it wasn't happening they (NYCFC) canned the deal. The agent doesn't know what's going on in MLS, he has a history of players who have failed overseas trials so I was expecting this.

Mena's signing was a clear indication that Tefu was just a nice-to-have. I say this because there is no way that a guy who's never played international football is better than Mashamaite. Kreis said he wanted Mena for a long time, so there you go. And now the very local Onyewu is back. Although you still apparently have 29 active players and can only have 28...

I can tell you right now that there are a couple of million people here in SA who will be wondering what could have been ... and we'll never know. It's pretty devastating.

I called NYCFC's David Lee and Sam Cooke and both refused to comment on the matter, which could be because they're protecting reputations, public relations, etc. This was yesterday, before we broke the news this morning (Friday morning in SA) that 'MLS blocked the move' – which implies that the MLS would not allow NYCFC to trade for another international slot. (Can they/have they ever done that?)

They've just slightly rewritten our story. Same quotes.

I tend to agree that NYCFC might have tried to buy another international slot and when it wasn't happening they (NYCFC) canned the deal. The agent doesn't know what's going on in MLS, he has a history of players who have failed overseas trials so I was expecting this.

Mena's signing was a clear indication that Tefu was just a nice-to-have. I say this because there is no way that a guy who's never played international football is better than Mashamaite. Kreis said he wanted Mena for a long time, so there you go. And now the very local Onyewu is back. Although you still apparently have 29 active players and can only have 28...
We appreciate you being here and have put up some great posts. I hope you stay and continue to be apart of our forum family even with this latest news.

As for your active players comment we probably will end up loaning out/cutting some guys when Mena or anyone else is ready to play and are active.

We appreciate you being here and have put up some great posts. I hope you stay and continue to be apart of our forum family even with this latest news.

As for your active players comment we probably will end up loaning out/cutting some guys when Mena or anyone else is ready to play and are active.

Thanks man, I appreciate the knowledge on this forum and big up to @NYCFCWatch as well who've helped me with the reporting. I plan to stick around, it's an exciting new team in the city and your fanbase will only grow around the world. NYC baby! It's a brand.

Disclaimer: I used to follow the Jersey Red Bulls when my buddy Danleigh Borman and hero Thierry Henry played together, but I can safely switch allegiance now. Would have been so much more meaningful if Tefu had signed, but life goes on!

Thanks man, I appreciate the knowledge on this forum and big up to @NYCFCWatch as well who've helped me with the reporting. I plan to stick around, it's an exciting new team in the city and your fanbase will only grow around the world. NYC baby! It's a brand.

Disclaimer: I used to follow the Jersey Red Bulls when my buddy Danleigh Borman and hero Thierry Henry played together, but I can safely switch allegiance now. Would have been so much more meaningful if Tefu had signed, but life goes on!
Another thing that's disappointing about all this is I noticed how a lot of South African football fans were following Tefu's potential transfer here. If we signed him we would've gained a whole new set of fans in a place we haven't had much exposure.

http://www.soccerladuma.co.za/news/...ite-won-t-be-joining-new-york-city-fc/213724?

The article mentioned MLS stopped the Masha move along with two other players. "...the league told them that they couldn’t bring in three more players, ‘Masha’ plus two others, meaning that the deal now can’t happen."

Does that mean we won't be able to bring in anymore players???

what the fuck????!!!!!! so now there is a limit on how many players we can bring mid season. bull shit, is the league now afraid that the CFG connection can exploit rules that the MLS themselves made? MLS making up rules or was this something already in place. As long as there are slots open and or players are released to make room there should be no problem.

ridiculous if true.

Reactions: PVieira21