USOC - June 22 - Red Bulls (Away)

If you let Jersey set the tone of the game, you get what you deserve. Too much aggression early + a poor referee + perhaps the dumbest red card in team history = a deserved 3-0 loss.

Cushing has his first test this weekend. Needs to reset the mindset in half a week.

Not much to learn from that match other than the fact that the ref sucked. He gave easy early cards for dissent and when Keaton caught a guy with a fully tucked trailing leg after he won the ball by a mile. He then refused to give cards or even warnings for the constant fouling by RB. We had Keaton on a yellow unable to tackle for the rest of the game and RB running up and kicking us every time we touched the ball.

The only takeaways for me are that Thiago is an idiot, and Barazza is not good enough to be our #2.

First, who the heck is this ref? Does he ref MLS games?

Second, he joins Chapman, Kelly, and Elfath on the list.

Apparently Maxi and Tom Edwards both got red cards for that skirmish after the whistle. So at least we took out one of their players for the semifinals.

Reactions: moogoo
It sucked I think this match was arguably more important than Sunday because this is a play off league (last year proves you don't have to finish first in the table just make the play offs) But clearly we didn't see it as full priority otherwise Sean Johnson, Maxi , and Magno would have started.

Apparently Maxi and Tom Edwards both got red cards for that skirmish after the whistle. So at least we took out one of their players for the semifinals.

if maxi is still here next year then he has to sit out first US open cup game. if not then he has to wait 10 years for it to clear like Cuahtemoc blanco and clint dempsey

• Haha
Reactions: danger and JCMore
It sucked I think this match was arguably more important than Sunday because this is a play off league (last year proves you don't have to finish first in the table just make the play offs) But clearly we didn't see it as full priority otherwise Sean Johnson, Maxi , and Magno would have started.

Is the US Open Cup really that important? Aside from a CCL spot, I don't particularly care about the other competitions we're in aside from MLS. Even CCL I struggle with considering all the BS they put us through. I'd rather win MLS Cup than burden the team with more games later in what's been a really busy season.

Is the US Open Cup really that important? Aside from a CCL spot, I don't particularly care about the other competitions we're in aside from MLS. Even CCL I struggle with considering all the BS they put us through. I'd rather win MLS Cup than burden the team with more games later in what's been a really busy season.
It's 5 wins to a cup and CCL spot. It matters.

It depends on what your prioritize . It's like in England some fanbases care about the domestic cups some don't. Do you care about the supporters shield ? As I said in my last post , IMO, you don't need to win maximum points in the regular season to win MLS cup. I don't see us collapsing to the point of missing the playoffs (or getting a really low seed at this point) so for me it's worth the risk of potentially throwing away a few regular season points to win the US Open cup and that would only change if you prioritize the supporter's shield over the US Open cup.

The referee was shitty from the opening whistle and couldn't manage the game. I think the script was lost here and it all went downhill from then. If he referees in MLS, good luck to him.

I think the ref then gave a card to Santi for dissent (?) and then Malte was given a card 2 minutes later. At this point it was 20 minutes in and RBNJ was fouling at will and yet the cards were 3-0 NYCFC. The ref lost the plot right about here.

Reactions: moogoo and gbservis
It's 5 wins to a cup and CCL spot. It matters.

If it matters so much, how come most teams play their second stringers until only the very late stages of the competition? Half the teams don't use their actual home stadiums, and the prize money is virtually nonexistent. I think if you polled most MLS front offices and gave them truth serum, they'd rather not even go through the hassle.