USOC - June 22 - Red Bulls (Away)

Is the US Open Cup really that important? Aside from a CCL spot, I don't particularly care about the other competitions we're in aside from MLS. Even CCL I struggle with considering all the BS they put us through. I'd rather win MLS Cup than burden the team with more games later in what's been a really busy season.

of course, Below MLS cup.....but definitely above supporters shield and campeones cup.

Embarrassment from many city supporters in 219 tonight. Throwing full cups of beer in the faces of the TR organizers, bombing families below with beer, in-fighting.

Fandom should be passionate, not childish.
That's not good.

Embarrassment from many city supporters in 219 tonight. Throwing full cups of beer in the faces of the TR organizers, bombing families below with beer, in-fighting.

Fandom should be passionate, not childish.
If anyone that does something like that is identified it should come with a ban.
There’s no place for that kind of behavior.
Also, what is it with this team and playing RB? Even when we’re clearly the better team, it’s infuriating.

This tweet was deleted -- what was it?
Keaton questioning the call on Twitter — never seen a player do that — and then getting heavily trolled. Clearly he or someone thought it best to take it down. Good decision.
Generally really bad karma tonight between bad reffing, stupid dissent on multiple players’ part (and that numbskull head butt by Thiago) and the SS nonsense. First match I have ever left early and I am glad I did.

like i said in chat, ref set the tone of the game early with his seemingly onesided calls. we were handcuffed after just 15 mins. how can we match RB intensity if a bunch of are guys already have cards and soft fouls (or non fouls) are getting called against us, but blatant pushes in the box and constant hacking by the RBs get away with no calls and definitely no yellows.

This guy stepped into an MLS rivalry game with training wheels and couldn't handle it. started throwing cards out early thinking he'd show everyone who's boss and ended up changing the game.

Thiago's stupidity fucked us. but ref influenced this game. No one can convince me otherwise. Evidence is that there's so much discussion about his dumbass after the game instead of how we played.

fuck this guy. hope he never touches an MLS match. send him back to youth league.

like i said in chat, ref set the tone of the game early with his seemingly onesided calls. we were handcuffed after just 15 mins. how can we match RB intensity if a bunch of are guys already have cards and soft fouls (or non fouls) are getting called against us, but blatant pushes in the box and constant hacking by the RBs get away with no calls and definitely no yellows.

This guy stepped into an MLS rivalry game with training wheels and couldn't handle it. started throwing cards out early thinking he'd show everyone who's boss and ended up changing the game.

Thiago's stupidity fucked us. but ref influenced this game. No one can convince me otherwise. Evidence is that there's so much discussion about his dumbass after the game instead of how we played.

fuck this guy. hope he never touches an MLS match. send him back to youth league.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: moogoo
Did anyone else think that the ref unnecessarily escalated the situation in which Thiago got his red? Seemed like he was rushing to step in between Thiago (who was walking away) and a Red Bull player who didn’t seem to be making any alarming movements toward him? Seemed a bit strange to me.

Reactions: canchon
Very happy I looked up the score while watching it on demand and only had to watch the first goal. Glad I didn’t waste all my time. My only comment on the game that I want to think about is it was really weird to see a RBNJ vs. NYCFC game where one team was in white and the other in orange.

Very happy I looked up the score while watching it on demand and only had to watch the first goal. Glad I didn’t waste all my time. My only comment on the game that I want to think about is it was really weird to see a RBNJ vs. NYCFC game where one team was in white and the other in orange.

I know it's a petty issue in the grand scheme of things and will likely come off as "Old man yells at cloud" but I miss the days when teams only wore change strips when the colors clashed and not because they were trying to sell extra shirts.

Our record vs NJ is now 6-3-13.

13 games played at RBA. Nine at Yankee Stadium. This includes three USOC games, all of which have been played at RBA.

Our record vs NJ is now 6-3-13.

13 games played at RBA. Nine at Yankee Stadium. This includes three USOC games, all of which have been played at RBA.

we lost 2 and tied one last year. all of which were winnable against a pretty bad RBNJ squad. could have improved to 9-2-13

Reactions: Schwallacus
we lost 2 and tied one last year. all of which were winnable against a pretty bad RBNJ squad. could have improved to 9-2-13

According to statistics we are the most successful team in MLS since 2016, but we have an abysmal record against the NJ Cows. They bring out their best every time against us, and their destructive and chaotic high-pressure style suits us badly. It is not a fluke at this point.

I understand that not every team wants to control the ball and play “beautiful” and instead play compact and direct. That can be a winning style - heck Leicester was brilliant at it when they won the PL.

What irks me about RBNJ is that they seem to invite contact and play on the edge, knowing that they can get away with this because this is MLS and refs are abysmal. They literally just want to invite 50/50 balls and hack other players. Their defense is literally attack the ball carrier within 2 seconds and foul. It is just brutal to watch.

If it matters so much, how come most teams play their second stringers until only the very late stages of the competition? Half the teams don't use their actual home stadiums, and the prize money is virtually nonexistent. I think if you polled most MLS front offices and gave them truth serum, they'd rather not even go through the hassle.

I may be in the minority, but I really want to win the US Open Cup. Oldest National Soccer competition and we've always sucked. This game meant a shot at the semis.

I also don't blame the ref as much as some here - although that missed push in the box on Taty seemed like a penalty to me and might have changed the course of the game. But why do we as fans expect refs to be as high quality as Premier League refs, especially when there is no VAR? It's the US Open Cup - refs are going to be crappy. It's part of the challenge.

I'm more pissed at Thiago - how stupid was that? If you are going to take a red, at least get a real shot in and not right in front of the ref. I also am (somewhat irrationally) pissed at our new coach. It's not much of a start to his tenure.