USOC - June 22 - Red Bulls (Away)

I understand that not every team wants to control the ball and play “beautiful” and instead play compact and direct. That can be a winning style - heck Leicester was brilliant at it when they won the PL.

What irks me about RBNJ is that they seem to invite contact and play on the edge, knowing that they can get away with this because this is MLS and refs are abysmal. They literally just want to invite 50/50 balls and hack other players. Their defense is literally attack the ball carrier within 2 seconds and foul. It is just brutal to watch.

They are atrocious to watch; it's really no wonder their stadium is so sparsely attended. Why go watch such an unentertaining product? Even when they're winning, it's just a brutal form of football.

Reactions: Revfugee
They are atrocious to watch; it's really no wonder their stadium is so sparsely attended. Why go watch such an unentertaining product? Even when they're winning, it's just a brutal form of football.

yeah what’s funny is the RBNJ comeback to that is “I just like to win” - but the thing is they don’t. No cups and they are a far bit away from their SS and Thierry Henry days. They had 57% pass completion last night. Maybe we are their best matchup because we play right into it, but overall they are just bad to watch. Yikes.

Reactions: Revfugee
Our last few games (even during our shutout streak) have also been mindnumbingly boring.
Chicago was a snoozefest. Colorado was a snoozefest. Minnesota was a snoozefest. Sporting KC was a snoozefest.

Last edited:
Atrocious also describes how our defense played, Thiago’s action, and our supporters’ behavior at the end. It was an atrocious night and a step back for the club.

yeah what’s funny is the RBNJ comeback to that is “I just like to win” - but the thing is they don’t. No cups and they are a far bit away from their SS and Thierry Henry days. They had 57% pass completion last night. Maybe we are their best matchup because we play right into it, but overall they are just bad to watch. Yikes.

Sure, they do like to win -- and they're having a good season. But no one is watching them. They are averaging 13,050 fans a game, third-worst in MLS. Only Inter Miami and CF Montreal are worse.

They are in the entertainment business, and I would bet their style of play is a not-insignificant reason their attendance is so rubbish.

Atrocious also describes how our defense played, Thiago’s action, and our supporters’ behavior at the end. It was an atrocious night and a step back for the club.

Absolutely. Honestly, we have a terrible history with fan behavior and activities during US Open Cup. This competition brings out the worst in us.

Last night I had the feeling I had last season after a red bulls match last season. It was a bad feeling.
We ended up winning the cup.
However, the Thiago head butt is pretty concerning.

Reactions: JayH
Last night I had the feeling I had last season after a red bulls match last season. It was a bad feeling.
We ended up winning the cup.
However, the Thiago head butt is pretty concerning.
Yes. If we are a club aspiring to win more trophies, it’s a problem to have a player who snaps so easily. This red was a potential trophy killer. I hope the kid learns, but it would make me nervous having him on the field in any critical moment going forward.

The ref also came out thinking he needed to keep the 1997 Red Wings and Avalanche under control. Keeping the whistle blowing like that not only is unnecessary and ruins the game, but often has the counter effect of frustrating players and causing chaos. What a mess.

Last edited:
Yes. If we are a club aspiring to win more trophies, it’s a problem to have a player who snaps so easily. This red was a potential trophy killer. I hope the kid learns, but it would make me nervous having him on the field in any critical moment going forward.

It wasn't his first headbutt. Off the top off my head, this is at least his second, if not third headbutt attempt. This was by far the most atrocious and stupid because the ref was literally holding onto him and there was no dirty play prior.... just some words. Doesn't seem like something that is going to change... and it could really cost us... even moreso than last night.

The ref also came out thinking he needed to keep the 1997 Red Wings and Avalanche under control. Keeping the whistle blowing like not only is unnecessary and ruins the game, but often has the counter effect of frustrating players and causing chaos. What a mess.

Probably personal opinion and bias, but he seemed to be calling many more against us and more harshly than vs the cows who were fouling constantly and not getting punished. had they been given yellows for their persistent fouling (amaya had many fouls in a short span) that would change the game for the better. Instead, by punishing us and not them, we were unable to match their intensity without fear of going down a man or getting even more yellows.

ref was very poor last night. our defense was very poor as well. Fell asleep when it mattered and we paid for it.

Reactions: JayH
Absolutely. Honestly, we have a terrible history with fan behavior and activities during US Open Cup. This competition brings out the worst in us.

Does fan behavior tend to be worse among away fans in general? I've been to a few Hudson Derbies all at Yankee Stadium and most of the bad behavior I saw was from Cows supporters.

You know our fans are misbehaving when even the facebook group is condemning whatever happened.

I don't care that he was USL ref of the year. You don't take a guy who has never officiated a top level match and put him in the middle of a heated derby between two rivals. And especially not a game where the officiating is going to matter so much, because one team's strategy is to push the envelope on physical play.

Just a stupid, stupid decision by PRO.

As a former season ticket holder, I can safely say that it’s not the unentertaining product. It’s a lot of things, but snobs about quality of play aren’t avoiding the team because of that.

Re supporter behavior.

I for one fully support the team sanctioning all supporter groups. No tickets for ## matches. And/or no drums/flags/tifos at next match. (Can they revoke all SS tickets for a match?)

Without some action with real teeth the whole "police yourselves, turn in the names of people who did it, yada yada" just doesn't do anything.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Re supporter behavior.

I for one fully support the team sanctioning all supporter groups. No tickets for ## matches. And/or no drums/flags/tifos at next match. (Can they revoke all SS tickets for a match?)

Without some action with real teeth the whole "police yourselves, turn in the names of people who did it, yada yada" just doesn't do anything.

I don't see why they can't. And I agree. There should be harsh punishment if the supporter group doesn't hunt down the individual(s) involved and point them out to the club for banning. Otherwise, it will never change. If people think they can get away with it, they aren't going to stop doing it.

Makes me recall the incident in portland for MLS cup. Applaud all the people who immediately pointed to the losers who threw the stuff and had them kicked out and banned. that's how it should be!

Actually, this is exactly the kind of lesson I want him to learn young. I’d be much more upset if this was a vet. Still ridiculously stupid (as were elements of our SS). We are Champions and should act like it.

Reactions: JayH and Sabo
I don't see why they can't. And I agree. There should be harsh punishment if the supporter group doesn't hunt down the individual(s) involved and point them out to the club for banning. Otherwise, it will never change. If people think they can get away with it, they aren't going to stop doing it.

Makes me recall the incident in portland for MLS cup. Applaud all the people who immediately pointed to the losers who threw the stuff and had them kicked out and banned. that's how it should be!
I wrote a long email to the TR person today. I had never done a TR SS away match and there were red flags all over the place. I recommended harsh discipline. I don’t want to be part of that bullshit again. RBA security was lax (maybe actually chill and that’s not a knock) but that’s not an excuse for our fans being hooligan wannabe/d-bags.

I wrote a long email to the TR person today. I had never done a TR SS away match and there were red flags all over the place. I recommended harsh discipline. I don’t want to be part of that bullshit again. RBA security was lax (maybe actually chill and that’s not a knock) but that’s not an excuse for our fans being hooligan wannabe/d-bags.
The Third Rail President posted a message yesterday to the FB group condemning the actions and noting that they were in the process of working to identify the individuals and have them banned.