Vieira suspends Khiry and Lopez

ManhattanValley

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 23, 2014
Interesting, and sadly telling, that no one really seemed to be questioning why these two were left out of the squad, but here it is -http://www.empireofsoccer.com/shelton-lopez-suspended-white-injured-prior-to-nycfc-fire-46851/

I can't remember for the life of me where I saw it, or find a link now, but I do recall seeing a video of the two of them where Mikey jokingly asked Khiry "Who are we playing this weekend?", and Khiry replies something along the lines of "I don't know, it doesn't matter, we're going to win". I'm paraphrasing, and I may have mixed up who said what, but I definitely saw it and thought it was a little arrogant. Interesting that Vieira is coming down hard on this kind of thing.

Usually a manager wouldn't remove a player from a match squad over something like this, although they might fine them in private, because it makes the whole grievance public and most clubs want to resolve their matters behind closed doors without anyone ever finding out. It makes me question whether this is the latest in a series of issues that Vieira has had with the players. Of course, I have absolutely no evidence to back this up and have heard no other stories, it just seems an interesting reaction.

I don't know, it doesn't matter, we're going to win".
Almost seems remarkable this doesn't happen more often. Can you imagine if big personalities from the past like Babe Ruth had had social media? Or even Shaquille O'Neal during his younger days? When any drunken moment can turn into a worldwide public announcement?

What a world.

Reactions: Narrowback gal
Almost seems remarkable this doesn't happen more often. Can you imagine if big personalities from the past like Babe Ruth had had social media? Or even Shaquille O'Neal during his younger days? When any drunken moment can turn into a worldwide public announcement?

What a world.
Well.... Babe Ruth could at least back up his smack talk. Vieira sent two marginal at best players to sit in the time-out corner where they belong. Both have always seemed immature and today's social media apps make it easy for those lacking maturity to highlight it.

Reactions: Gene and FootyLovin
I'm all for keeping shelton out of the 18, but that video was very tame. They were saying they were going to win no matter who the opponent. The bloom is coming off the rosé.

Reactions: Christopher Jee

Mikey: Looking forward to a big game on Sunday, against who?

Khiry: Who are we playing?

Mikey: I don't know.

Khiry: I think it's Chicago?

Mikey: We really don't care who we're playing, because we're about to get that "W", no matter what.

Khiry: No matter what.

Mikey: No matter what.

The banter seems harmless . . . unless Vieira or management is having other issues with Shelton and Lopez and they used this "incident" as further evidence to reprimand them? There's probably more happening here than just a silly video.

The banter seems harmless . . . unless Vieira or management is having other issues with Shelton and Lopez and they used this "incident" as further evidence to reprimand them? There's probably more happening here than just a silly video.
Safe to say Vieira is a disciplinarian. While I'm all for it when players do or say something stupid, I don't think this merited the reaction.

I wonder if this will negatively affect players going forward, especially the younger players more inclined to use social media.

Safe to say Vieira is a disciplinarian. While I'm all for it when players do or say something stupid, I don't think this merited the reaction.

I wonder if this will negatively affect players going forward, especially the younger players more inclined to use social media.
Here the thing... If Vieira has rules about social media, and I'm sure he does, then it's completely justified. He probably also has rules against supplying bulletin board material to the opponent. All coaches in every sport take issue with that - maybe not with a star player, but with marginal players every time.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
When you are losing or underperforming, that is not the time to make petty points.
When you are losing or underperforming it's not the time to say you're going to win no matter who you are playing.

Stupid video. Stupid suspension. Stupid all around.

But probably does make it clear for the future. Don't talk about upcoming games or opposition on social media.

When you are losing or underperforming, that is not the time to make petty points.

Are you talking about Vieira, or Lopez and Shelton?

What a world.

Having rewatched the video, I think Vieira was justified. We all know athletes are cocky, but as you say, we hardly ever see videos like this. There's a reason for that, and Vieira is rightly trying to keep it that way.

My question - is anyone in the NYCFC social media team also getting suspended for promoting this video?

Disagree. In any company in any field, when things aren't going well with a project, or client, or whatever, that is exactly the time to remind people of discipline. It may be ok to do things behind closed doors, within the team to keep a loose attitude, but in the public realm everybody should keep it buttoned-up. I'd be very surprised if Vieira doesn't have team-building opportunities for the players to relax and blow off steam, but they have to be reminded that they still take their orders from him, so there isn't ever anything "petty" if it goes against his rules.

Are you talking about Vieira, or Lopez and Shelton?

Having rewatched the video, I think Vieira was justified. We all know athletes are cocky, but as you say, we hardly ever see videos like this. There's a reason for that, and Vieira is rightly trying to keep it that way.

My question - is anyone in the NYCFC social media team also getting suspended for promoting this video?

This....i could of sworn i saw this in their facebook page or twitter....i didnt click on the video but i remember seeing two texas guys ....

as for the punishment its very meh.....a fine would of been ok ( though im not sure what CBA rules are for internal fines) but if its a one game suspension then its fine. Every coach has its rules and ways...and this is PV rules.

Problem: two confident young players with the will to win.
Solution: crush their spirits.

Well done, coach!

mikey has played like 30 mins so far...plus with how the results have been going you dont want to talk shit when you cant back it up.

Reactions: Kjbert
mikey has played like 30 mins so far...plus with how the results have been going you dont want to talk shit when you cant back it up.
Yep, Mikey missed an open net served to him on a silver platter.... make plays on the field and not on social media.

Reactions: gbservis and Kjbert