We Need To Get It Together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, if you want to take 1 persons viewpoint and generalize the entire community then go for it. I wont stop you. But you will piss off every NYCFC fan across all social networks by doing so. I'm trying to help you out here.
No one will stop visiting these forums because of something 1 person says because they know better.
When I tweet out posts it's usually chants that were started here and ideas to show others what we are trying to accomplish here. Also Third Rail stuff in order to help them gain more traction. Never personal opinions of 1 user, and never to negatively affect someone else.

I appreciate and hope you partake in this community as a journalist. You probably have more access than most of us. But you are walking a very tight line here between offering a way for us to improve our little site (but growing quickly!) and telling guys like NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan how to run this site. I appreciate that you have years of moderating forums, but this isn't your forum.

Hopefully you will partake in the discussions and healthy debate we have on this site. Any good forum needs well-informed opinions - that is certainly something you can bring with your access and background. But I think you're walking a tight rope here with telling the guys (who are doing a great job) how to run their site.

Reactions: AlexB and einwindir
NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan has more patience than I do. I would have deleted this thread hours ago. I think everyone's point has been made and this isn't going to get any better...

Hi guys.

So let me clarify what bothered me about the post yesterday: it was taking what was one of the most powerful moments from last year's MLS season - RBNY and Revs fans coming together just days after the Boston Marathon bombing and marching as one - and turned it into a weird rant about the "USA!" chant. I have no issue with debating the merits of most supporters' song books, or endless banter back and forth about the RBNY/City rivalry. But it lacked any sort of awareness as to what was happening in that video that it really took me aback. It also threw me that no one really challenged it - there was a meme post or two and some light "This is from something else", but there wasn't actually a rebuke.

Those of you who have been following me a while know that I care about supporters culture across MLS. I've spoken about "YSAGate" and all the finger pointing that came with that, including Garber's hypocracy about language; the weirdness with the "snow-out" in the 2012 playoffs; homophobia with a Houston supporters group; FC Dallas banning "the beer shower" and booting their supporters; the Portland-SJ drama...long story short, I try to remain even handed. That means occasionally having to call out bad behavior.

As for the comments above:

Nope.

No, I'm actually trying to get a read on what the NYCFC fan base is talking about. Same reason I read Metrofanatic.

Don't even know where to start with this. When I say I want City to be successful, it isn't subterfuge or passive aggression or reverse psychology. I actually want City to be successful.

Not a season ticket holder. Sorry.

Thanks for this. Really shows me your heart is in the right place.

Funny enough, this was *exactly* my point. I've done more than my fair share of community moderation, and the key to a successful community is tight moderation (see link shared above). And long before City, I saw more than enough back and forth trolling between Metro fans, RBNY fans (yes, those are two different groups), and Cosmos fans to know what you guys are in for over the coming months. A tight ship is exactly what's needed.

Hi Dan Welcome to the Forum!
Here are some takeaways from your post. I see that you are an impassioned champion in your effort to affect change for the public good. This is an honorable pursuit. If I read correctly however, your spirited reprimand was brought about by a seeming lack of response by the NYCFC Fan Forum members and moderators themselves. This is understandable given the hastiness of your reply. Although I would venture before launching on a wanton tirade on Twitter you confirm the severity of the happening. (Google - NYSE floor flooded Hurricane Sandy). However, I believe the perceived lack of response by the forum has now proven misguided as pointed out by NYCFC_Dan's reply #23 in this thread. Doubtless your apparent well-intentioned desire to help steer the forum clear of pitfalls originates from what you have observed in other MLS supporter cultures. Your anguish over other supporter cultures behavior is understandable and is readily apparent in your hastily contrived rebuke. How else could a reporter/blogger who champions freedom of speech everyday resort to the suggested repression of one's freedom of expression. Yes, this freedom may at times be a source of frustration. But would you not agree that such an outburst from a venerable individual of experience equally frustrating? You are a champion of the Great Game. Would it not be better to focus on the great things in store for this club from such a dedicated diverse fan base? Perhaps maybe a poll of what these other MLS supporter cultures, (the source of your discontent), like best about their respective club experience or what they would offer to change instead? The choice is yours. We as fans of the Great Game have that ability and I believe responsibility. I would support such an endeavor and dare I venture many other fans of the Great Game would as well. In any event I welcome your comments and contribution. I believe NYCFC fans have already demonstrated their optimistic enthusiasm and support of NYCFC. I also believe a fan base that is allowed to grow organically will develop its own unique characteristics and as a result be the strongest fan base of all. Such idealistic optimism may stand affront to conventional wisdom, but such is the devotion of a fan of the Great Game. Go NYCFC! In any event, I share your enthusiasm for good pubs and I would be more than happy to buy you a tasty beverage at The Dead Rabbit sometime. Apologies to all for the long rant. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.