What Trophies Will Nycfc Be Eligible For Aside From Mls Cup [original Title: "question"]

CP_Scouse

Registered
Mar 27, 2014
Queens
i dont really know MLS...
1)when can nycfc play european teams for a trophy or something?
2)can (are they able to) nycfc get anything else other than the mls cup
3)can nycfc play out of league teams for a trophy?

NYCFC can win the MLS Cup (MLS Playoffs), Supporter's Shield (Best Record), U.S. Open Cup (Like the FA Cup), CONCACAF Champions League, and Club World Cup.

Nobody from MLS has ever won the champions league. Winning that gets you in the Club World Cup where you'd play the champs of the other regions like Europe.

Reactions: Goodfella
I moved this thread over to MLS101. It's a great question and falls in line with what we are trying to achieve with MLS 101.

I also edited the title to make searching easier. If you don't like the wording, let me know and we can change it.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
Just to add more clarity to what's been said, there are a number of lower leagues that compete in the U.S. Open Cup including the NY Cosmos of the NASL.

As for Concacaf Champions League, it's leagues from all across North America, but basically boils down to a competition between MLS and Liga MX, the Mexican league. MLS teams have never beaten Liga MX in the knock-out stages, in part because they're held in March when the MLS teams have barely started their seasons and Liga MX is winding down.

Reactions: Kjbert
NYCFC can win the MLS Cup (MLS Playoffs), Supporter's Shield (Best Record), U.S. Open Cup (Like the FA Cup), CONCACAF Champions League, and Club World Cup.

Nobody from MLS has ever won the champions league. Winning that gets you in the Club World Cup where you'd play the champs of the other regions like Europe.
but is it possible for some team in the MLS to be in the champions league?

If you mean the UEFA Champions League, then no. UEFA is the governing body of soccer in Europe, so it commissions competitions for European clubs.

CONCACAF is North America's governing body and they hold their own Champions League for teams in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and other Central American countries like Costa Rica and Honduras amongst others.

MLS teams will never play in the UEFA Champions League.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
Yes. It's kind of similar to the Premier League where you earn you spot based on your domestic league play. Since MLS is not single-table and has playoffs, it is a bit tricky and the qualifiers changed a few times. I believe right now MLS teams qualify by either winning MLS CUP, the Supporter's Shield, MLS Cup runner-up and I believe one other qualifier.

Yes. It's kind of similar to the Premier League where you earn you spot based on your domestic league play. Since MLS is not single-table and has playoffs, it is a bit tricky and the qualifiers changed a few times. I believe right now MLS teams qualify by either winning MLS CUP, the Supporter's Shield, MLS Cup runner-up and I believe one other qualifier.

The US Open Cup

Reactions: Kjbert and 413Blue
The new qualifications are:

MLS Cup winner
The Eastern and Western Conference Champions
US Open Cup winner

Reactions: 413Blue and NYCBlue
Caveats to those qualifications:

Canadian clubs cannot qualify by ANY of those means. TFC, Montreal and Vancouver can only qualify by winning the Amway Canadian Championship -- their equivalent to the US Open Cup.

If the US Open Cup winner is also the MLS Cup winner and/or Eastern or Western conference champion, the team with the next best record goes to CCL.

a Concacaf Cenmebol merger would be huge, would allow MLS teams to play in a champions league consisting of teams from Brazil, Argentina etc also would provide a great Euro like competition for the national teams. Would be a huge step in MLS clubs being able to compete with Europe in terms of status. I have heard rumblings but prob not likley anytime soon maybe the 2016 centential copa america will get the ball rolling. One can dream. This would do wonders for international and domestic soccer in the americas

An MLS team can play a European team for a trophy in the Club World Cup. In order to qualify an MLS team must win the Concacaf champions league, then they enter a club world cup where European teams get an automatic bye in round one. It is possible but hasnt happened yet

a Concacaf Cenmebol merger would be huge, would allow MLS teams to play in a champions league consisting of teams from Brazil, Argentina etc also would provide a great Euro like competition for the national teams. Would be a huge step in MLS clubs being able to compete with Europe in terms of status. I have heard rumblings but prob not likley anytime soon maybe the 2016 centential copa america will get the ball rolling. One can dream. This would do wonders for international and domestic soccer in the americas
I've heard a merger of the Gold Cup and Copa America might happen but the club competitions would have to stay separate.

Pretty sure Europe's closer to New York than most cities in Brazil....

That's true about the distance but looking very far down the road MLS will have to get involved in a larger champions league to further the brand. EUFA champions league is a huge draw for talent playing against Mexico isn't going to cut it if MLS is serious about big time growth.

If only MLS could beat the Mexican teams in the current Champions League format, then we can start dreaming of beating South American powers.

Caveats to those qualifications:

Canadian clubs cannot qualify by ANY of those means. TFC, Montreal and Vancouver can only qualify by winning the Amway Canadian Championship -- their equivalent to the US Open Cup.

If the US Open Cup winner is also the MLS Cup winner and/or Eastern or Western conference champion, the team with the next best record goes to CCL.

I don't understand this. So if one of the Canadian teams wins the MLS Cup or are Conference Champions, that doesn't qualify them for the CCL? They're part of MLS. Doesn't seem fair to me.