What Trophies Will Nycfc Be Eligible For Aside From Mls Cup [original Title: "question"]

Agreed that it's a ridiculous rule, but does make more sense to me now since it's up to the Canadian Federation to decide. I assume they want the way in to be a national tournament, not international.

I don't understand this. So if one of the Canadian teams wins the MLS Cup or are Conference Champions, that doesn't qualify them for the CCL? They're part of MLS. Doesn't seem fair to me.
I believe,officially, MLS is only recognized as a USA league in which a few Canadian teams compete. This is why it can't happen. CONCACAF has designated 4 USA clubs and 1 Canadian for CCL. That's for money reasons so its non-negotiable; Canadian clubs can't win away spots from the US.

This might be the first year a Canadian club gets screwed because Toronto have a shot at winning the East and Vancouver are dark horses out West...but Montreal won the Canadian title.

Reactions: Kjbert
Your getting confused, Cardiff and Swansea used to play their reserves in the Welsh FA Cup but they were told they couldn't take a Welsh spot in Europe. They are both eligible for European football through English competitions.

Your getting confused, Cardiff and Swansea used to play their reserves in the Welsh FA Cup but they were told they couldn't take a Welsh spot in Europe. They are both eligible for European football through English competitions.

Nope. Up until it became an issue in 2008, Welsh clubs were not allowed to qualify for European competitions through English competitions. Then, when people started debating the fairness of the system, the FA caved in and changed their rules to allow it. The only thing I got wrong was that it was Cardiff who caused the issue to come to prominence, not Swansea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-530189/Cardiff-banned-Europe-win-FA-Cup.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2296638/Uefa-offer-Cardiff-City-hope.html