World Cup 2022

elfath repping MLS...

and giving a soft PK

ETA: i think it is a foul, technically. but i still think it's soft considering how elfath has been calling the game so far.

Reactions: FootyLovin
The only thing worse then listening to Alexi Lalas talk is listening to Alexi Lalas talk with a mouth full of turkey

I feel like there won’t be many people watching in TS. If i knew there were 1,000 ppl coming out, beer tents and some fan fest I’d be down. I’m going to stick to my plan of AO bar in Astoria.

I am in for Times Square tomorrow!

Who’s with me???
My guess is that it will be a large crowd. No idea how much they are promoting/organizing the event, but I assume Fox is doing it for those typical live shots of supporters back home. So they want a pretty big crowd to make it aesthetically impressive.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
My guess is that it will be a large crowd. No idea how much they are promoting/organizing the event, but I assume Fox is doing it for those typical live shots of supporters back home. So they want a pretty big crowd to make it aesthetically impressive
If it’s not being promoted can’t imagine anyone but the usual tourists being there.

they'll pull a qatar and hand out USA merch to tourists and tell them to stand there and scream when told to. lol.
Haha. I was thinking the same thing. Also wishing TS was still full of whoes and pimps. The idea of them all wearing USA gear and cheering for $ in TS feels like a scene in an old Eddie Murphy movie.

Fine tuning your thoughts a 1-0 Iran win is best. It does as little as possible to improve Iran's GD and little to help either team's total goals, which I believe is a secondary tie-breaker.
Now that Iran actually WON and I’m thinking about it…

As it stands now for GD: Eng+4, Iran-2, USA 0, Wales-2.

A Loss v England & Win v Iran & we’re through. 4 points
A win v England & draw v Iran & we’re though. 5 points
A win v England & loss to Iran & we’re out (if England gets a point v Wales/or wales beats England and passes us on GD). 4 points*
Draw v England & Iran & we’re out. 3 points
Draw & a loss & we’re out. 2 points

*Also, Wales will have their backup keeper v England due to a red v Iran. Which makes scenario 3 of England drawing/winning a real possibility of us being out in that case.

Interesting that a draw v England does almost nothing to improve our position at this point. We’re going to have to beat Iran to advance and if we do GD means nothing either. I hate to say it bc I want to beat those Brits, but maybe safest thing for GGG to rest players and keep anyone with a yellow out today to have his best squad for Iran.

Current Players on Yellow:
Ream, Dest, Acosta, Mckennie

Ream is the most difficult to replace/leave out. I honestly don’t want to draw up a lineup with Long in there as I’ll throw up in my mouth. Maybe CCV…

Pulisic, Reyna, (false 9), Weah
Adams, Aaronson, Musah
Jedi, CCV, Zim, Scally
Turner

That’s still a damn good lineup with no yellows starting.

Last edited:
There are some issues with the above, but I still like it.

Basically, if we beat Iran, we are almost certainly in, regardless of how we do against England*. If we don't beat Iran, then we have to have beaten England to advance. Three ties won't do it for us. We have to win one of the next two.

* - If we tie England and beat Iran, we are on 5 points and we advance. If we lose to England and beat Iran, the only way we fail to advance is if Wales beats England and passes us on goal differential.

Reactions: 413Blue and JayH
Regarding yellows and whether to sit anyone...

- McKennie and Dest are both less than 100%; we should either sit them or limit their minutes.
- Ream is very important, but probably more important in this game than in the next one. I would play him.
- Acosta is not one that I am worried about.

Now that Iran actually WON and I’m thinking about it…

As it stands now for GD: Eng+4, Iran-2, USA 0, Wales-2.

A Loss v England & Win v Iran & we’re through. 6 points
A win v England & draw v Iran & we’re though. 5 points
A win v England & loss to Iran & we’re out (if England gets a point v Wales/or wales beats England and passes us on GD). 4 points*
Draw v England & Iran & we’re out. 3 points
Draw & a loss & we’re out. 2 points

*Also, Wales will have their backup keeper v England due to a red v Iran. Which makes scenario 3 of England drawing/winning a real possibility of us being out in that case.

Interesting that a draw v England does almost nothing to improve our position at this point. We’re going to have to beat Iran to advance and if we do GD means nothing either. I hate to say it bc I want to beat those Brits, but maybe safest thing for GGG to rest players and keep anyone with a yellow out today to have his best squad for Iran.

Current Players on Yellow:
Ream, Dest, Acosta, Mckennie

Ream is the most difficult to replace/leave out. I honestly don’t want to draw up a lineup with Long in there as I’ll throw up in my mouth. Maybe CCV…

Pulisic, Reyna, (false 9), Weah
Adams, Aaronson, Musah
Jedi, CCV, Zim, Scally
Turner

That’s still a damn good lineup with no yellows starting.
If we lose to england and beat iran we're on 4 points, not 6.

Beat England. Beat Iran=7 points
We win the group.

Beat England. Draw Iran=5 points.
We advance. Finish first if England draws or loses to Wales, second if England wins.

Beat England. Lose to Iran=4 points.
We can advance only if Wales beat England and we have GD advantage, which we would have at least +3 going in, so 1 goal loss for us, one goal win for Wales we Gucci, more leeway with a multi-goal win today. If England draws Wales, we advance only if a we overcome GD which would require a huge win today, so this path is unlikely.

Draw England. Beat Iran=5 points
We are through. We win the group if Wales beat England, or draw and we overcome GD with England.

Draw England. Draw Iran= 3 points
We can't advance.

Draw England. Lose to Iran= 2 points
Greg Berhalter get's left in Qatar to work on the stadium deconstruction teams.

Lose England. Beat Iran=4 points
We are through if England beats or draws Wales, or if Wales wins we can still beat them on GD. So it is still important to minimize our loss margin today.

Lose England. Draw Iran=2 points
Greg Berhalter has to come home on a cargo ship

Lose England. Lose Iran=1 point.
Greg Berhalter goes to Iran in a prisoner swap.

Reactions: adam
The problem with this team is that we can totally boss England, then put up a stinker and lose to Iran.

Reactions: moogoo