2015 General Mls Transfer Rumors

The Drogba efforts are heating up. Chicago and Montreal are both making a push in what could turn into a Jermaine Jones type situation. Chicago holds his "discovery" rights - pretty amazing scouting department they have if they "discovered" Drogba.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...ign-didier-drogba/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

The article is a bit uninformed. While MLS rules are always murky this wont be anything like the JJ thing. First off Drogba is not a USMNT player so he is not subject to allocation order. Secondly the discovery claim thing is weird but the rules are straight forward. If a team has the discovery rights on a player (Chicago) but the player wants to sign with a different team (Montreal) the team that signs the player has to pay the other team $50k. The author claiming this could be a JJ type situation doesn't know what they are talking about.

would be a shame really, for drogba to end his illustrious career in such a shit team as chicago.

The article is a bit uninformed. While MLS rules are always murky this wont be anything like the JJ thing. First off Drogba is not a USMNT player so he is not subject to allocation order. Secondly the discovery claim thing is weird but the rules are straight forward. If a team has the discovery rights on a player (Chicago) but the player wants to sign with a different team (Montreal) the team that signs the player has to pay the other team $50k. The author claiming this could be a JJ type situation doesn't know what they are talking about.
USMNT isn't the only way to be on allocation list. Now, it is truly a list if you recall. I do think it is only USM&YT players and some transfers out, so you're sort of right in spirit.

As for the set fee, are we sure that is the case? I missed that. Not disputing it, I just thought it was subject to negotiation.

Just read that the Energy drinks have signed Shaun Wright Phillips to go with his brother. Loved him back in the Pre Sheik days when he was one Manchester City's best players would wish him luck at any MLS team but that one.

Just read that the Energy drinks have signed Shaun Wright Phillips to go with his brother. Loved him back in the Pre Sheik days when he was one Manchester City's best players would wish him luck at any MLS team but that one.
One of my favourite ever City players. Would have loved him here tbh, can still put in a shift and cause problems, miles better than Ballouchy/Grabavoy/Alvarez. Breaks my heart a little that I'm gonna see him with the Red Bulls.
Is he a DP?

I would assume he has to be DP. Much better than his brother who is. I wouldn't trade any of our DP's (even Lampard ) for him but if there was a 4th spot would not have turned him down.

Drogba to Montreal, sweep to red bulls,
Are these transfers making the mls more exciting or just confirming it as a retirement home ?
Are you guys excited about seeing these sort of past it players or would you prefer to see younger more american hungry players ?

Drogba to Montreal, sweep to red bulls,
Are these transfers making the mls more exciting or just confirming it as a retirement home ?
Are you guys excited about seeing these sort of past it players or would you prefer to see younger more american hungry players ?
I feel like they reaffirmed the leagues reputation of a "retirement home" for washed up "stars" looking to make some big bucks.

Drogba to Montreal has been confirmed. This doesn't make any sense to me. I guess Montreal are hoping that Drogba puts a few extra butts into seats at the stadium. That's about all he'll be good for at 37 years old on tired legs.

Do two Wrights make a wrong?
Smug-ref.gif

A little lost in the Drogba story is that Chicago signed former Toronto DP Gilberto, who I think is pretty good. Apparently Montreal gave Fire some allocation money (TAM) and they used to pay down one of their existing DPs (Accam). Chicago needed some firepower and they got it. Not sure it's enough, especially with their poor defense.

Reactions: Paul