2016 General Mls Transfer Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt you can sign someone to a DP contract but have it not count as a DP because you lend him out. But who knows really, because MLS. Of course the "haven't-I-seen-this-movie-before" possibilities are amusing:

Zlatan on loan to MCFC until New Year's Day 2017. What could go wrong?!?!. Well for starters he and Guardiola don't get along. But maybe they make amends, and Zlatan scores 15 goals by Christmas. Then it is announced that we were not allowed to sign him directly as we have 3 DPs, and there was only an agreement-in-principle to sign with us in January 2017, and he was really on a regular full-season contract at MCFC with a break clause. . . . .

Just make it happen and pass the popcorn.

I think you only have to worry about their net salary impact. So, if you sign Ibra to DP contract and lend him out for that half season, then you have to get the other side to pay his salary for that time, or at least all but $220K of it.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I doubt you can sign someone to a DP contract but have it not count as a DP because you lend him out. But who knows really, because MLS. Of course the "haven't-I-seen-this-movie-before" possibilities are amusing:

Zlatan on loan to MCFC until New Year's Day 2017. What could go wrong?!?!. Well for starters he and Guardiola don't get along. But maybe they make amends, and Zlatan scores 15 goals by Christmas. Then it is announced that we were not allowed to sign him directly as we have 3 DPs, and there was only an agreement-in-principle to sign with us in January 2017, and he was really on a regular full-season contract at MCFC with a break clause. . . . .

Just make it happen and pass the popcorn.

I don't doubt thats a rule. But I am fairly confident any Zlatan to the MLS scenario would play out as follows:

Team: We have an agreement to get Zlatan but we need to change a few rules and maybe loan him out for a bit
MLS: Zlatan!!!
Team: Yeah but about those rules we need to bend
MLS: Zlatan!!! yeah do whatever you need to get him we don't care.

Sub in Messi and Ronaldo as you like and the scenario holds.

We will never know but when it comes to super big names I've always wondered if the MLS gets involved and trys to push players to the teams they wan't them at. The single entity structure raises a lot of questions. How much power does the league have behind the scenes to steer a guy like Zlatan so LAFC or ATL to help the franchises launch with a marquee player.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
We will never know but when it comes to super big names I've always wondered if the MLS gets involved and trys to push players to the teams they wan't them at. The single entity structure raises a lot of questions. How much power does the league have behind the scenes to steer a guy like Zlatan so LAFC or ATL to help the franchises launch with a marquee player.
A "top" player won't play in a city he doesn't want to be in. They have final veto power

Reactions: FootyLovin
A "top" player won't play in a city he doesn't want to be in. They have final veto power

Of course I'm not proposing that the league has the ability to push a top player to a city they are not interested in. But if a guy says he wants to go to either LA or NY, I'd be shocked if the league isn't doing things to steer the player to the team they want within those cities.

Of course I'm not proposing that the league has the ability to push a top player to a city they are not interested in. But if a guy says he wants to go to either LA or NY, I'd be shocked if the league isn't doing things to steer the player to the team they want within those cities.

Didn't it come out last year that the Red Bulls had a discovery claim on David Villa, and MLS essentially ignored it and let NYCFC sign him?

Reactions: Ulrich
Most teams that have these names on a discovery list have no fucking shot of signing the players. It's horsehshit.
All of these "lists" are BS. Discovery, allocation, etc.... Just have a Cap, whatever number it is, and let each team sign whom they want. Go over the Cap and pay a Luxury Tax to the rest of the league.

Twellman just said at halftime during the SKC-ORL game that if Zlatan comes to MLS in 2016 it will not be in an LA Galaxy uniform. Maybe LAFC sign him and loan him to Man United until December...or the summer...

Twellman just said at halftime during the SKC-ORL game that if Zlatan comes to MLS in 2016 it will not be in an LA Galaxy uniform. Maybe LAFC sign him and loan him to Man United until December...or the summer...
Came on here to post that.

Looks like Birnbaum wants more money or a transfer where he's offered $800,000 per year. And DC doesn't want to move him and probably doesn't want to pay him. Could be a holdout scenario coming up if DC tries to play hardball. They should just take the GAM and and let him make some money in city with beautiful weather and great food for a CL team. And if he's still not married, his mother will be very happy there are so many single Jewish girls there for him to choose from!

http://www.espnfc.us/story/2910162/maccabi-tel-aviv-increase-bid-for-us-steve-birnbaum-sources

Reactions: JayH and Ulrich
All of these "lists" are BS. Discovery, allocation, etc.... Just have a Cap, whatever number it is, and let each team sign whom they want. Go over the Cap and pay a Luxury Tax to the rest of the league.
*nods in agreement*

There will be problems for the league if they don't adopt the basic rules of other major sports leagues in the US.

Reactions: adam
Looks like Birnbaum wants more money or a transfer where he's offered $800,000 per year. And DC doesn't want to move him and probably doesn't want to pay him. Could be a holdout scenario coming up if DC tries to play hardball. They should just take the GAM and and let him make some money in city with beautiful weather and great food for a CL team. And if he's still not married, his mother will be very happy there are so many single Jewish girls there for him to choose from!

http://www.espnfc.us/story/2910162/maccabi-tel-aviv-increase-bid-for-us-steve-birnbaum-sources
Except for the beautiful weather, he could just play here if those are the factors that matter.

Reactions: Ulrich
Status
Not open for further replies.