2016 Jersey Thread

My issue is that the designers are acting like they have nothing to draw on. Some people are defending this jersey as "bold" and like that they're taking a chance. But there's a difference between being bold and being random.

Last year's black jersey they had those weird glossy angled stripes. Fine, whatever. This year, we have strange looking circles. My question to the designers is "why?" What about New York led you to think a circle pattern would work? What inspired you?

New York has loads of culture to draw on. So many iconic fonts, design styles and patterns, etc. It's all been ignored when designing our branding.

Pinstripes. Subtle art deco patterning. The Statue of Liberty's crown.

I don't know, I'm not a designer. But this jersey has zero stylistic connection to the city, and my only conclusion is that they didn't even try to make one.

EDIT: For example, this would be a "bold" but reasonable pattern on a jersey: http://www.museumofthecity.org/wp-c...ork-city-art-mural-graffiti_33596_990x742.jpg

(I'd hate it, but I'd understand why they're trying it.)
I get what you're saying, but they haven't had a chance to explain their thought process - if they don't give a reason for the circles as part of the official announcement, then that's ridiculous

The glossy stripes on last year's away jersey were meant to represent each of the 5 boroughs - kinda lame, but it wasn't out of left field

Now, if they say the circles are because NYC is the center of the universe or something equally egocentric, then they're opening us up to ridicule from the rest of the league

At first I kind of liked it, but the long sleeve version kinda makes me think of an ugly keeper's jersey. Can't imagine a whole team of those will look good.

So that got me thinking, maybe that's the away keeper kit *fingers crossed*

At first I kind of liked it, but the long sleeve version kinda makes me think of an ugly keeper's jersey. Can't imagine a whole team of those will look good.

The target on the chest would make a lot more sense if that were the case.

I knew I had seen something like this before.... Jorge would be proud to wear it.

jorgecampos.jpg

Maybe the circles have something to do with a heartbeat? Like 'My heart belongs to NYCFC'. Or a continuous heart beat because NYC is 'The city that never sleeps'

Maybe i'm grasping at straws to jusify the design.

Reactions: Konrad and Kjbert
Well, good thing I already had cancer. Beat that shit like GET THE F OUTTA HERE!

(Here's the placer holder for my $120 and change)
If you're going to rock it, you should at least go for the long sleeve - that $120 won't cut it.

Is it weird that I like the long sleeve jerseys more when they had the three adidas stripes?

Reactions: Ulrich
It doesn't matter long sleeve or short. It's hot out more than it is cold though, so I'm likely buying short sleeve again. If I see the long sleeve and it adds something to the look, I have no problem buying that.

Reactions: Ulrich
Would it make everyone feel better if the kit ripples signify the accompanying stadium announcement that the stadium is going to be on the Hudson? The Pier it is!