2016 Mls College Superdraft

I honestly don't think it's worth it to move heaven and earth to get the first round pick. I honestly like all three of these players, and would be fine with all three. In my eyes, if Reyna was thinking the same way, why not try and get the cheaper third pick from philly.

If I had the choice I would pick Vincent seeing as he is an American at a position of need.

Also if we somehow picked up Yaro, should we then try and trade to get Seiler? Couldn't hurt to have two Cb's that know each other.

For the record, with the draft being livestreamed, and with it starting a little after I get back from work, I'll try my best to get the stream up on this website, and probably the chatbox too.

Anybody know how many minutes each team gets between picks?

I have to leave the house a little before 2:00 to pick my daughter up at school. I'm sure there's going to be at least 10-15 minutes of BS before the actual drafting takes place, so it looks like I'm going to be cutting it close when the 4th pick comes up.

Reactions: Kjbert
Much more likely to trade McNamara than Mix. I would guess Mac+4 is about right for 1.

No way. This is a three player draft. To get the 3rd Pick, you are at least trading the 4th pick and Mullins. TMac has no value in this scenario

soooo you guys saying based on only three players being really good quality....we should of tanked?

I disagree with the idea of trading up. There are a lot of people very convinced they know how good these top 3 players in the draft will be. I'm just not there. The draft has shown too much history of top picks underperforming and lower picks surprising. The only two players suggested for trade bait to get us there have been Mix or TMac.

On Mix. Yes, that opens up lots of cap space, but it's a really big gamble to say that a draft pick is going to fill that level of quality, even with the extra cash that affords us to sign someone. Unless we have a big signing that CFG knows about that would wow the crap out of all of us for years to come that could only happen if we had the Mix salary space I can't see this as a good move.

On TMac. If Chicago offered a straight up swap of TMac and the #4 for their #1, okay. But I don't see it. I think we'd have to give up TAM or international spots or more for that swap. And I don't like hamstringing ourselves cap-wise. Free spending is one of the key advantages we have with CFG. Giving away that ability doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Now, if it was the #4 plus cash for the #1, hey, CFG through Chicago a couple million bucks. You've got deep pockets.

On Mix. Yes, that opens up lots of cap space, but it's a really big gamble to say that a draft pick is going to fill that level of quality, even with the extra cash that affords us to sign someone. Unless we have a big signing that CFG knows about that would wow the crap out of all of us for years to come that could only happen if we had the Mix salary space I can't see this as a good move.
Completely agree with this. Mix can be the core of our team for the next 10 years, whereas a draft pick is a total unknown. Can't really imagine making that sort of trade.

Completely agree with this. Mix can be the core of our team for the next 10 years, whereas a draft pick is a total unknown. Can't really imagine making that sort of trade.
I wouldn't trade Mix, but I'd be happy to throw Allocation Money in with the trade. That's a no-brainer. Just as Mix can be the core for the next 10 years, Jack Harrison can also be a core piece for just as long, and for the next 2+ years he wouldn't count toward the Cap which is all the more justification to give up some Allocation $$ and not feel the hit of losing it.

I disagree with the idea of trading up. There are a lot of people very convinced they know how good these top 3 players in the draft will be. I'm just not there. The draft has shown too much history of top picks underperforming and lower picks surprising. The only two players suggested for trade bait to get us there have been Mix or TMac.

On TMac. If Chicago offered a straight up swap of TMac and the #4 for their #1, okay. But I don't see it. I think we'd have to give up TAM or international spots or more for that swap. And I don't like hamstringing ourselves cap-wise. Free spending is one of the key advantages we have with CFG. Giving away that ability doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Now, if it was the #4 plus cash for the #1, hey, CFG through Chicago a couple million bucks. You've got deep pockets.

Good take. I think trading Mix to move up is very unwise.

That said, I really think Jack Harrison is going to be the Cyle Larin of this draft. Harrison is the youngest player in this draft class by a year and a half, and won the award for the best college player in the nation. I really think Harrison is the clear #1 and probably the only player in this draft with the upside to be Mix-esque or better. Vincent and Yaro at #2 and #3 are as close to surefire MLS squad guys as you'll find in the MLS draft, but not worth shuffling for. Might as well take a chance on Campbell or Tarbell.

Good take. I think trading Mix to move up is very unwise.

That said, I really think Jack Harrison is going to be the Cyle Larin of this draft. Harrison is the youngest player in this draft class by a year and a half, and won the award for the best college player in the nation. I really think Harrison is the clear #1 and probably the only player in this draft with the upside to be Mix-esque or better. Vincent and Yaro at #2 and #3 are as close to surefire MLS squad guys as you'll find in the MLS draft, but not worth shuffling for. Might as well take a chance on Campbell or Tarbell.
I guarantee that if NYCFC can swing it to land Harrison, he's going to become a cult figure just like Poku was this year.

Reactions: LionNYC
I guarantee that if NYCFC can swing it to land Harrison, he's going to become a cult figure just like Poku was this year.

I think it'll take him a season to get acclimated and get minutes, but I agree that he will be a fan favorite. We'll regret missing out on him greatly.

May have to add a few Garber bucks to top off what you said, but I could see that happening. Or add in Ballouchy since he's serviceable and cap-friendly, and every team is looking for that.

Cap friendly, yes. Ballouchy, not so much. Guys like him can be had lower in the draft, no disrespect intended to Mehdi.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Possibly Harrison left Man U to lessen the competition he was confronted with. Apparently based on many reports, he's the most talented offensive player in the draft who may have trouble getting playing time at NYCFC because of an overload at his position(s). So maybe he takes 2 or 3 years to fully integrate into the first 11. He frequently talks about home, meaning England, leading me to assume he has a yearning to go back there. This could mean we put a lot of effort and capital into developing him and as soon as he becomes successful, he wants to go play for Sheffield Wednesday or some such club. I think grandiose thoughts of building the future of NYCFC around him may be wishful thinking leading me to conclude that moving up in the draft to get him is probably not worth it.

But then again, I could be totally off base and he could become the MLS version of Messi for 10 years. Time will tell.

Playing devil's advocate here - where does Diskerud fit on this team?