2016 Mls College Superdraft

I predict we will look at it and not remember any of the names chosen.
But according to the Armchair analysts on MLSsoccer.com, these players are amazing. Even Kjbert said it, the floor on Vincent is the best LB for TEN YEARS!!!!!! After all, these analysts have been closely following the thrilling world of college soccer for years and have spent countless hours analyzing these players, I think they know what they are talking about!

Vincent certainly looks the part.

I think if this draft has 3 above-average MLS players in it, we would all be happy.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
That's crazy - 3 ?!?!? a few teams must really think there's a can't miss player. I wonder if there's a consensus or they all have different ideas?
It depends on what those offers are. Later round draft picks are nearly worthless, so clubs may be offering just multiple later picks thinking they might as well get a player they think might make it.

Reactions: Kjbert
It depends on what those offers are. Later round draft picks are nearly worthless, so clubs may be offering just multiple later picks thinking they might as well get a player they think might make it.
Chances are if they're worthless to one team then they're worthless to the other especially if trying to package for a 1st round pick. If offers are being made for a trade, it's going to be significant: picks, players, allocation $$.

Chances are if they're worthless to one team then they're worthless to the other especially if trying to package for a 1st round pick. If offers are being made for a trade, it's going to be significant: picks, players, allocation $$.

Exactly. It's like when people here try and trade Chris Wingert. No one else wants him either.

Does anyone have any idea how soon a guy like Yaro or Harrison would qualify for a green card? We are not long on international slots, especially if we sign Teixeira and take on a couple of loans from the mother ship. Both these guys came from overseas (Ghana and England) for high school and then college. I'm not sure if that gives them an edge in getting papers, but it would be a key consideration.

Reading about Vincent last night - the FLOOR on this kid is the best defensive LB in the league for 10 years.
FLOOR.
Inigo-Montoya-WORD-MEANS.jpg

And to follow up on that, MLS Transfers noted that Vancouver is making a hard run at #1.
That's crazy - 3 ?!?!? a few teams must really think there's a can't miss player. I wonder if there's a consensus or they all have different ideas?
The Fire GM claims this. This could mean it's true. Or it could mean they have 1 offer and want to pressure that offer with the belief there are others in the game. Or it could mean they are trying to get their first offer and using this to tempt others. So many possibilities. Remember that not everything on Twitter is true.

The Fire GM claims this. This could mean it's true. Or it could mean they have 1 offer and want to pressure that offer with the belief there are others in the game. Or it could mean they are trying to get their first offer and using this to tempt others. So many possibilities. Remember that not everything on Twitter is true.
What ?? You mean Justin Bieber didn't die in car crash?!?

MLS did a final mock draft over on their web site. The 1st four picks haven't changed (Yaro, Vincent, Harrison, Campbell), but they added a note to our selection:
4. New York City FC: Jonathan Campbell, CB (North Carolina)
They'd love it if Danladi entered the draft because that'd probably allow them to sit tight and still get Harrison, who is their real target. However, as I said above it's not guaranteed that Danladi will be available.

In the meantime, they'll continue to work the phones in hopes of trading up to grab Harrison. If that doesn't happen, they're unlikely to burn an international slot (they have three left) here in the draft, and will instead take the best American available. Since they need help in central defense, I have them going with Campbell, but don't rule out a "reach" pick for Generation adidas goalkeeper Andrew Tarbell.

That's a somewhat interesting twist.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...ll-go-no-1-our-final-2016-mock-mls-superdraft

Reading about Vincent last night - the FLOOR on this kid is the best defensive LB in the league for 10 years. That probably allows you to play Villa wide also.

Consider my expectations well managed...

I think picking Tarbell makes a ton of sense if your guy isn't there.

I hope they just trade the pick of their guy isn't there.

One other cut of this data I found interesting. Look at quality by where you pick in the draft. Take their same measure of Excellent (flawed though it might be) with a small caveat - I added Dempsey and Guzan. Players who are good enough to sell to European sides should unquestionably be considered a success for the team who drafted them even if they didn't feature in enough MLS games. Here are the frequencies of finding an excellent pick at each draft position.

Pick / # of players who turned out excellent from 2001-2011 (more recent years seem to me to be too limited a data set to include)
1 / 1
2 / 8
3 / 7
4 / 5
5 / 6
6 / 4
7 / 4
8 / 3
9 / 5
10 / 4
11 / 4

I think it interesting that the #1 has almost never lived up to expectation over the long term and that as much as you think you know how deep the draft is, you are just as likely to get a longterm quality player picking 9th as you are picking 4th.